Democrats attempt to censor ABC

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Sep 10, 2006.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Democrats are unhappy with an ABC miniseries on the events that lead to Sept 11. They're unhappy because most of these events occured when their man, Clinton, was in charge and too busy getting blown by interns to pay attention. Also, they just plain don't want people thinking about Sept 11 this close to an election they hope to win.
    This letter the senators wrote threatened to pull ABC's license if they ran the show! Screw freedom of speech. Screw doing honor to those who died on Sept 11.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Censorship you say?

Republicans attempt to censor the whole medium of TV and Radio.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/news/censor-alert/806/

More republican censorship
    http://www.lizkrueger.com/news/news92.html

http://www.northcountrygazette.org/articles/031506SenateCensorship.html

Etc etc etc...

Now personally I have been listening to that crap you'all were spewing about freedom of speech and liberty in the USA.

How come so much is censored?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I'm completely against that, and all censorship. Fortunately, the bill you made reference to hasn't passed and hopefully never will. But I'd say there's a better than even chance that ABC will fold and not run the Sept 11 piece. At the very least, they'll remove any segment Democrats are unhappy with. Isn't that nice. The government getting to edit shows before they air. Prior restraint, anyone?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Why are there then so many people (or so it seems) keen on censorship of these trivial issues (or so it seems to me)?

What's your take on that?

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

i guess you people never heard of the MPAA have you.

9. do you think lies honor those that died on 9/11?

if this show is a political right-wing hack job, is that ok?

I suppose this war on terror is working out, I just loved the trial of OBL, the oratory, the drama, oh??! yeah, haven't caught the little rascal yet, darn

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

These congressmen and Senators are drunk with power. They see something they don't like, and say, "That should be banned". The constitution is supposed to prevent this, but the supreme court is doing a poor job defending free speech these days.

Have you seen it? It was produced by ABC. Not known for its right wing views. I doubt it's full of lies. Just, as Al Gore would say, "inconvienient truths".

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It's seems like an impossible task though to change anything in this particular system. Both sides equally abusing the system. Both sides reluctant to give up any power.

Can there be a reversal to the values of the constitution intended? Or have things gone out of control?

12. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

You haven't given any information on why this program is an issue, so I have no opinion yet.

If it really is about blaming Clinton, that is a complete joke. As republican head anti-terrorism advisor to Bush AND Clinton, Richard Clarke said, Bush didn't see terrorism as urgent before 9/11, but with the Clinton administration it was.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/24/911.commission/index.html

13. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

From what I've heard from the guy who either wrote the miniseries or directed it, everyone is upset from the first episode of it -- as obviously it's the first episode and Clinton was in power before Bush -- without seeing the 2nd one that was given to the people during the screening. In the later episodes, it shows the faults of the other side, Bush 'n Co, supposedly having no political bias.

But yes, I really hate these power-hungry politicians; punk bastards. Why they even have to address anything in regards to our rights is beyond me. Freedom is freedom, there shouldn't be any limitations yet they have no problem trying to limit numerous ones every single day. And with those cable channels and satellite radio, it's a paid service, so it's not like kids are seeing/hearing the so-called "bad stuff" during daytime hours on free television, so limiting what they can show or talk about is bullshit.

- N

14. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Fighting terrorism was urgent under the Clinton administration?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Roman Banned Banned

I can't wait for the montage where it shows Bush readin "My Pet Goat" while terrorists destroy America.

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This is an example of why Democrats shouldn't stoop to the level of Republican politics. I seem to recall a movie about Ronald Reagan that was pulled under GOP pressure; I thought it was indecent then, and the exploitative indecency of 9/11 entertainment aside, it is indecent to protest ABC's latest trash-of-the-week.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There was some pretty sloppy journalism in that thing. It was very hastily prepared and did seem to have a right-wing bias. In one segment it mentioned a document that was damaging to the Bush administration being published in the Washington Post, a newspaper so far to the left that all the ads for stereo systems only have one speaker. In fact it was published in the Washington Times, which is equally far to the right, one of the few papers in the country that runs the Mallard Fillmore comic strip--the right wing's answer to Doonesbury.

19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I'm impressed that ABC stood up to the bullies in the Senate. Now let's see if the Dems follow thru with their bluff and get ABC's license pulled.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The ABC series was pure propaganda, but so what. Better documentaries will come out eventually, at least now their pandering to the cons is made obvious.

21. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

spidergoat, proof of your statement? everything that is stated in the movie has a basis in fact, and can be found with a little research, but then I forget that you only read the left side of the pages.

22. Genji Registered Senior Member

If something presents the neocon/Bush perspective it's of course rooted in FACT! Jesus even checks the stats for them! If the movie, series, book, etc. is critical of neocons and Bushdom it's a bald face LIE concocted by turrurists and godless heathens!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Let us all be thankful BR isn't Minister of Information.

23. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Genji, you didn't present any facts, you need to present proof that what the movie showed didn't happen, yes it is a movie, but it is based on historical fact that can be confirmed with research, so if you have proof that the things presented in the movie are a bald faced lie please provide proof, it will have more weight than you prejudice's.