Democracy and stupidity

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chris4355, Jun 4, 2010.

1. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

Do you think most people around you are dumb? ~~70% of pop.

Do you think a large portion of the people around you are dumb? ~~30% of pop.

Do you think some people around you are dumb? ~~10% of pop.

If so, does this contradict the notion that democracy is an effective political system?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I'm not quite understanding what the hell you're talking about. There are very few truly "dumb" people in this world. Just because someone disagree's with your beliefs beit politcal, religious or otherwise, that doesn't classify them as stupid. Nearly everyone 18 and over (in the US) has a right to vote. And democracy comes into play because of majority rule; ie the will of the people. Sure, I think a lot of people vote out of their ass but who I am to say whats right or wrong just because it is different than mine? Again, majority rules. Let the people vote and decide, regardless of the issue at hand.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. River Ape Valued Senior Member

The real problem, chris, is that people are wishful thinkers.

In the context of ones personal life, there is survival value is having ones judgement skewed in favor of optimism -- in hoping for the best. But at a political level, wishful thinking encourages people to believe the liars who are making the biggest promises. Thus do people vote for jam today and debt for their children tomorrow, and for lawmaking that favors slack personal morality.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Yeah, the jam we've been in for over 10 years now.

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Democracy is one of the most absurd ideas of all time, and it is built on yet another absurd idea: the idea that men are equal. Both of these ideas are just "feel-good" philosophies that have no bearing in common sense and reality.

Men are not equal and should not have equal authority.

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think you are misintrepreting this notion that all men are equal. Because as you point out, that is not the case. People are different in looks, talents and abilities, skills and knowledge. I don't think anyone is going to dispute that notion.

But the notion that all men are equal applies to the notion of rights. All men are entitled to the same rights...life, liberty, justice, etc.

10. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

That's fine, but should authority be a right or a privilege? Are you entitled to rule?

11. siledre Registered Senior Member

you don't even have the beginnings of a basis for cause and effect.

12. Gypsi Registered Senior Member

Most people are ill-informed rather than "dumb." This means that "the will of the people" is easily manipulated, making a mockery of democracy. In fact, making it essentially pointless - at best, illusory.

13. soullust Registered Senior Member

We should go back to the days of kings and queens, todays politics are bullshit, and cost the public Billions of dollars while they fight each other in congress while getting shit done.

14. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Give people only two or three options to chose from, and once they make a selection call them "stupid". If they complain scare them off with dictatorship.

Yes, representative democracy is a very effective political system to insult people.

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

The main benefit of monarchy is that the Royal family is above political-party squabbles, and with monarchy, you are loyal to a person, instead of vague, abstract ideals.

16. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

That seems to add up to 110%.

17. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Monarchy means absolute power for those in power. And you don't even get to choose who rules. Bad idea.

18. Emil Valued Senior Member

Very interesting would be to try to define what it means stupid or smart.
    I 'm thinking about it a lot and got to the following conclusion:
    If I am satisfied,I am smart.
    If I am not satisfied,then I am stupid.

19. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily. Even if the people asked are correct in their estimates - meaning that many even though they are dumb are good at estimating the dumbness of others - democracy may still be the best form of government. There is no reason why a predominance of dumb people makes for good dictatorships. First it becomes likely that dumb people will have absolute power. Second we have to work with what we have.

But the odd thing is that smart and dumb are relative terms. So if most people are dumb, then, really, they aren't.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Maybe, but monarchy has many benefits; that is why Constitutional Monarchy is not a bad idea.

21. soullust Registered Senior Member

Depends, appointed or not sometimes you get a real good leader, and i think a long term "Good" Leader would Posible be the Answer, switching leaders every 8 years is Un productive esp when all they do is reverse each others doing,s never acheiving any real good.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Not really. The Netherlands is a monarchy, but they have very, very little power.

23. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Ah ok, so kind of like Peter the Great? In some ways I think that would be fine. But just like the system we have now, it will turn South with a bad ruler in power. And in a Traditional Monarchy, you don't elect the King.