Definition of religion

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by S.A.M., Nov 30, 2008.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't believe that assumption has any testability or untestability attached to it. I gave Asimov's definition as an example of assumptions in science. Not with particular reference to testability or no testability. I think assumptions are either useful or useless, I don't believe they are necessarily consistent or have the property of truth or falsehood. They are simply accepted as they are, as a proviso to the next step.

To clarify, IMO, I can attach the prefix "I believe...:" to an assumption but not a hypothesis.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The pellet was observable. You proved that. You had a procedure ready for observing it.

I was reluctant to assume this whole tangent discussion was launched because an adult employed in a scientific field was taking "observable" to mean "visible at the moment", but no other explanation seems to suffice.
    Asimov's definition was not an example of assumptions in scientific investigation, and it made emphatic and particular reference to testability.

Ah, I missed something. Sorry. You have my sympathies, as well as my apologies.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Got some examples worth "dealing with" that were posted on the Linguistics board? I'm harsher with her on the other boards but I'm pretty lax about trolling here because we don't get a lot of traffic. And it's hard to nail down intellectual honesty in a science as soft as linguistics.

I knew I was taking a chance when I didn't move this particular thread to Comparative Religion when it was started, but, again, we can use the traffic. So I've gone kind of easy on it and just concentrate on moderating the parts that are really about linguistics.

But I like my peeps to be civil to each other.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.