Define true Intelligence

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Captain_Crunch, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Intelligence: something not possessed by Fuse26 and a large number of (too many) other posters on this forum.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fuse26 011 Banned

Oh yes, lets review one lifetime:

One lifetime:
    ----------------->
    <----------------
    ----------------->

Now let's journey BACK in time!:
    ----------------->
    /
    ---------------->

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(and you can't even call me a paedophile for telling you because you've done something wrong)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hertz Hz Registered Senior Member

I'm not telling you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

Wooden tanks that have been wet through will swell, and the ability to leak will be stifled by the over-uptake of liquid into the tissue; the expansion slowing down, if not stopping the leaks completely.

8. river

complex and simplicity is understood as to be the same thing , but with different consequences

9. mikerawlins Registered Member

True intelligence is the knowledge to do what is right...

10. HexHammer Registered Member

There's no such thing as true intelligence, that would be a farfetched term.

In neurology there are many intelligences, depending on which "religious belive" in neurology there are about 9 major intelligence.

Looking up cognitive abilities may also help you.

11. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

If I were to come up with my own definition of what I considered "true intelligence" it would be simply this: The ability to look at the past of oneself and others, judge a reasonable course of action based upon it, then plan for the future and act upon said plan. One final piece of the puzzle, adaptability. The ability to come to the end of a line of logic, dismiss it completely, return to an earlier point, and attempt a new line of logic. Of course, there are plenty of humans that can't reasonably do that.

12. river

complex and simplicity is understood as to be the same thing , but with different consequences

and to relise that you don't create anything but discover everything

13. Teddybot Intelligence replicator Registered Senior Member

Intelligence=prediction
    For a satisfying explanation, that has made any philosophy book or religion sound like a product from a computer program which has written subjective B.S. due to knowing nothing about how it works on an algorithmic level, check out the book On Intelligence.

14. river

what if the algorithmic is wrong ?

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

True intelligence?

Why do I think this has got to be like the "No True Scotsman" fallacy...
    Meh, I don't feel like arguing today. *Takes off stompy boots of stomping, pads away*

16. wellwisher Banned Banned

True intelligence can reduce the complex to simplicity. This is useful for adaptation since it can reduce what appears to be a complex problem or set of circumstances, into a simple situation where the solution becomes obvious.

E=MC2 was intelligent. If this relationship had ended up a complex series of equations, which only the grand masters of math could unravel, that would be impressive, but not intelligent, since it would reflect thin instead of dense.

17. answers Registered Senior Member

Intelligence is mainly just pattern recognition.

18. wellwisher Banned Banned

The two hemispheres of the brain, left and right, process data differently. Intelligence o involve using both tools. The right brain does spatial or integral processing, while the left brain does differential processing. The right would notice common patterns within a group (asian) while the left sees very specific details (Bruce Lee).

The left is better for differentiating the details for data collection, while the right is better for integrating data into simple patterns. The tough part is merging the two and translating the result into differential; simple result. This is processed in the corpus collosum.

As an example, if a western person went to China for the first time, they would first notice how much everyone looks similar. This is integral processing. As you spend time the differential brain will begin to see differences. As these differences build, the integral brain will see integral patterns from this. The differential brain will then see even more detail from this subgroup, etc. Depending on where you stop, the goal is a simple or differential relationship that reflects the integration.

The relationship E=MC2 is good for any differential matter/energy detail , while also reflecting the integration of all matter and energy. It is perfect.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  19. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Intelligence implies to me an ability to integrate the knowledge of experience and to extrapolate from that a conjecture that one may employ to create new experiences with which to satisfy one's curiosity in regard to ever changing circumstances.

20. river

not enough , thats practicle intelligence , nothing wrong with this just not enough

21. recidivist Back behind bars Registered Senior Member

Intelligence, as in the trait measured by I.Q. tests, is simply a measure of mental dexterity. It's true that the debate has been largely obscured by a plethora of derivatives recently created to make certain ethnic/gender groups feel more integrated and equal, but I think the traditional definition is still the most accurate and useful.

22. river

still not good enough

I.Q is about speed and knowledge

23. recidivist Back behind bars Registered Senior Member

Nonsense.

As long as you are literate all the knowledge you need is on the test paper in front of you.

Naturally, the better someone is at something, the faster they'll be relative to others.