Define true Intelligence

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Captain_Crunch, Jun 20, 2002.

1. river

have you ever taken a mensa I.Q. test ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. recidivist Back behind bars Registered Senior Member

Here's a typical question from a Mensa paper:

Solving this is a matter of mental dexterity and pattern recognition... assuming you are numerate. Knowledge is not going to help you here.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. answers Registered Senior Member

It's (a) 11 5

See pattern recognition. 2 more one less.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. answers Registered Senior Member

I don't like IQ tests though. I hate the time pressure. I can solve the problem, but just need to take my own time with it. For example that problem took me a good couple of minutes to solve, which is probably too slow for the test.

8. river

I wouldn't even get the right answer , to me its just a jumble of numbers

the pattern is based on mathematics

I'm not mathematicly inclined

I would need more time

9. river

10. elte Valued Senior Member

I like the prior adaptability answer and consider it a major component of intelligence, and think success at adapting includes the ability to predict, also an answer given earlier. I.Q., that is, raw brainpower, measures just an aspect of total intelligence, in my opinion.

11. river

did you go to the site I mentioned a couple threads ago ? #186

12. elte Valued Senior Member

Edit: Okay I'm checking it out.

13. river

the post in # 186

14. elte Valued Senior Member

Okay, thanks.

15. recidivist Back behind bars Registered Senior Member

The test comprises fifteen questions with a time limit of one hour giving four minutes per question, hence you would've been inside the time limit.

Grandin said that her mind is an animal mind, but if that were true we would expect to find animals creating art and science and solving 'real' world problems. Instead we find them behaving like a mindless herd with little or nothing to differentiate them physically.

Her conclusion that the world needs all types of mind is not corroborated by any evidence she presents. She pulls a few famous names from history without evidence that they were autistic but more importantly in the context of this thread would've had demonstrably low I.Q.'s.

Grandin said: "Who made the first stone spear, the Aspegers guy." This obviously has no credible evidence to support it and is an appeal to emotion.

You can't discount I.Q. tests as being a valid test of intelligence just because of a tiny amount of people who have some special ability to think in pictures. Across the general spectrum I.Q. tests are more than adequate in sorting out the intelligent from the less, the wheat from the chaff.
    Grandin's thesis is one couched in liberal politics.

In other words you would not accept that you have an average or low I.Q. but instead criticize the integrity of the test. I would suggest that this not only paints you as underhand but is only further evidence compounding your poor intellectual performance.

You are now only an example of the kind of cultural degradation spread by liberalism as it seeks to level man and include everyone in a mindless consumer mass. Not hurting peoples feelings matters more than the truth.

(The underlying dynamic is this: demand an absolute definition of intelligence, when one is not forthcoming - as it inevitably cannot exist - rubbish what actually exists or claim that it is inadequate to save face)

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  16. river

actually I did take the mensa test and scored 130

I asked the poster whether they took the test to see if they knew what the test was all about

what the test doesn't and isn't about is creativity

17. recidivist Back behind bars Registered Senior Member

Of course you did.

You're insecure about your intellectual abilities that is clear.

Where does it claim to be a test of creativity?

18. river

I did

where did that come from?

so I asked you or somebody else whether they took the mensa test and suddenly I'm insecure about my intellectual abilities....hmm

it doesn't and that in the end is where intelligence is and the ability to question

19. recidivist Back behind bars Registered Senior Member

What a surprise that artists and liberals are the only ones possessed of true intelligence.

Don't tell me... tribal people are more intelligent because they live in harmony with the environment?

:yawn:

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  20. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

True intelligence? That would be knowing the truth but not having a word for it. Intelligence is repeating the same previously acquired knowledge. An un noteworthy task unless you enjoy jeopardy. But to imagine the unknown to a high degree of reality is true intelligence.

It is a skill this generation has never witnessed.

21. RoccoR Registered Senior Member

Good Afternoon River,

ANS: A: 11 5

(COMMENT)

Was there a trick to this?

v/r
    R

22. Emil Valued Senior Member

23. RoccoR Registered Senior Member

Emil, ,,,

Too funny!

(COMMENT)