Defending a belief rather than defending the pursuit of truth

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Quantum Quack, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

tell that to Einstein...[chuckle]
    yeah...nice pictures...[chuckle]

You guys need to take a course in a superior form of science and critical intellectual thought called "Philosophy" really you do....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

it is only their own paranoid egos at work...

Destroying the credibility of hard working and great scientists in the process.
    Every time AlexG or other pull a stunt like that and fail to argue rationally due to their paranoia they destroy the credibility of science just that little bit more...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Here is a perfect example of a couple of .... posters... defending their beliefs rather than pursuing truth.

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/news-releases/2013/05/30/atom-by-atom/

They won't bother to read the link, because it might damage their belief systems.

I'd expect this kind of woo-woo nonsense out of youreyes, because that's all he has. I was hoping for better from QQ, but his earlier discussions here must have just been a fluke.

8. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

QQ, stop quoting youreyes posts that he is obviously going to edit. Don't you know that's bad form? I mean, how is he going to claim this never existed when you go and quote it?

9. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

After all, what would happen if we quoted the post in it's entirety? That's what the edit button is for, you can change history, right youreyes?

10. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

So the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is lying to us.

What were you saying about ego Quack?

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

you don;t read to good do you...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

see my post in response to your original posting of this link... got your blinkers on again I see...
    "Read what you wanna read, see what you wanna see, yeah!!!"

12. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

13. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

And this is supposed to mean what?

14. Username Registered Senior Member

What is the belief and what is the truth I am supposed to be in pursuit of. I tend to think most people would pursue the truth in some way, shape or form regardless of what it is. Although it isn't something I would want to spend my entire life doing.

If believing is knowing something is true, then isn’t it justifiable to have that belief? If a belief is true then why would I or anyone else have or need to defend it?

Same with the truth, why defend something that doesn’t need to be defended.

15. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Why do you feel a compulsion to deny? Is it important to you that the images are false? Come on youreyes, let's discuss the underlying psychology here. It's probably those bitchy women that drive you to this, right?

16. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Ah vigilant vultures, the world is an ever changing habitat.

No I am pursuing the truth here, obviously QQ seems to state that AFM and SFM microscopy and the likes of which are not sufficient proof for existence of atoms, as they could be depicting something totally else. But to me that seems childish, since many such images were made and the same results with anticipated diagrams of molecules have been acquired.

I feel compulsion to...kick butt of prying stinking vultures, who have nothing better to do that reminiscent of the blood they spilled earlier in my lifetime.

17. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

So how bout it youreyes, do you think that Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is lying to you? Or doesn't actual truth matter to you?

Or is it all a giant conspiracy?

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

@ Rand wolf and his names sake: "Are you calling Richard Feynman a woo?"
    Gotta remember who is the master magician around here... and it ain't me.

19. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

That would be everyone who disagrees with your nonsensical woo-woo view of the world?

20. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

No one said anything about Feynman except you, and he was talking about energy, not atoms.

Lawrence Berkeley lying to you Quack?

21. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

so how about it AlexG, can you read what I just wrote defending the noncontact atomic force microscopy single-atom approach to feel the strength of electronic forces, relaying movements to a stylus and a laser beam which in turn produces the atom images.

You are pursuing your belief, a belief in which all who dont agree to your dissing are "cranks".
    I am pursuing the truth.

22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

we shall see what happens in the next 12 months or so an whether the rest of the world agrees with the findings. remember "belief by consensus" is how science works.

so uhm what is energy and uhm what is an atom? what's the scientific difference between both terms....

23. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

So do you withdraw your statement:

Or this one: