Defending a belief rather than defending the pursuit of truth

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Quantum Quack, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

no you specifically wrote
    And that is what I inquired about.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Science thinks this and acts like that.

Loads of science is based on belief. Ants do not know humans exist, so how do we know we really do. Of course we listen to science tell us we are the most important things ever, but ants do not know we even exist.

Thats sums up science, and why science is really pseudo-science.

Science will never work out anything other than the human brain. They will never answer the big questions.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Science has worked out a great many things - including splitting the atom. What have you ever worked out, besides paranoia?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

I would like to point out to the OP QQ of this thread that suggestion of defending of a belief rather than pursuing the truth, underlines in itself a statement that pursuing a lie is a more common behavior than pursuing the truth. Is this really a common behavior? I do not feel that people are so evil as to pursue a lie, rather than a truth. Or has this nothing to do with morals?

8. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

You have no idea what i worked out in my life.

Good for those socalled super brainiacs that they did something. I bet the creator of the universe is so amazed at how smart they are, lol

Science will never understand anything but there own brains, or minds.

You have no idea what i worked out, so you can keep your socalled spliting atom superstars. I am sure the creator of the universe is amazed.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Actually, those of us here know MUCH more about you than you'll ever realize. Also, there's nothing "so-called" about splitting atoms OR forcing atoms into each other for that matter.

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

How do you read "defending" the belief as "pursuing" a lie?

"defending" has a very different definition to that of "pursuing"

11. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

No they do not.

I know what they have done to my life, but after 21 years, they cannot even work out my name. Handy that super brains, have so many techs to destroy my life, but cannot even work out my name. I am so overwhelmed at how intelligent the people are that targeted me for 21 years, but keeping telling me others lifes are mine. There brains must be so overwhelmed by how intelligent they are they cannot work out a persons name after 21 years of ruining his life.

If thats what science and super brainiacs can do, you can keep it.

12. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Evidence has to be weighed on its own merit. You can't make sweeping generalizations that all evidence is insufficient.

Yes, superstition was replaced by scientific and mathematical evidence.

Either statement, "nuclear energy is safe" or "nuclear energy is unsafe", is a subjective judgment until you impose objective criteria to further qualify what you mean. The more accurate characterization would be "nuclear materials are extremely dangerous" and "there have been only two major disasters in 40 years". In certain fields of math and science, and among the ways scientists and engineers monitor safety, there is a way to merge the two components into a single quantity called "risk". In general we calculate risk as the probability of an event occurring times the cost of it occurring. Risk avoidance is applied in everything from financial to military systems, and the math behind it (operations research) is relatively new.

If you go back to the definitions I gave above, you'll notice that science can not properly be characterized as belief since it is founded on evidence. If you were to ask whether scientific knowledge will change over time, the answer is a resounding YES! which is why so many millions of people are employed in scientific pursuit even as we speak. Thanks to them, and their sponsors, new evidence is being uncovered every day. Science, and all of human knowledge, is a work in progress.

13. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Why are you posting on a science board if all you have to offer are attacks on science in praise of yourself and your religion?

14. Baldeee Valued Senior Member

LG, I'm confused.
    First you say "On the contrary" and then you state that belief is always a requirement for knowledge.
    How is this latter statement contrary to AlexG's claim that belief is easier to come by than knowledge?

You seem to claim that knowledge requires belief.
    So if belief is requirement for knowledge, how is it not easier to come by belief rather than knowledge? :shrug:

If I want to build sand-castles, a requirement is sand.
    And not all sand is in the form of sand-castles.
    Is sand not thus easier to come by than sand-castles?

Perhaps you don't understand what "On the contrary..." means?

15. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

See? Any fool can do it.

16. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Neither of the items listed are facts.

17. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Ah, a juvenile, paranoid, ignorant drop-out. That explains a lot.

18. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Why this endless argument. Science people know everything, just let them live in there world of absolute fact.

19. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Still found out stuff that was more important to life than you. So what did you find out. Do not tell me, some stuff you repeated from text books, but never came from you.

I would never of guessed.

20. Username Registered Senior Member

I know what I wrote, and you chose to pick out one part you disagree with without reading my post in its full context. Cherry picking what you may or may not disagree with.

You think everyone is born a freethinker? I don't believe this to be the case. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks or believes there will always be a certain level of ignorance.

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Ego, and because people are inherently assholes. Fucking primate scum.

22. Username Registered Senior Member

That OP is also a paradox; he has made an illogical assumption with contradicting statements.

The OP clearly doesn’t understand that a belief is something that someone holds to be true, and the truth is just the pursuit of knowledge.

There is no underlying contradiction like he would want everyone to believe. And since the OP isn’t being specific it’s all based on generalities and has no substance. So there is no truth value in his premise.

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Utter nonsense!
    You miss the key word "defending".

Defending the "belief" rather than defending the pursuit of truth.

If you want some other OP then write your own, but at least read what is written first.

Let me ask...What do you hold more precious; the beliefs you are holding onto or the pursuit of truth?