Debt

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Mickmeister, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I was listening to talk radio while on the interstate today. I could not believe the figures they gave on debts. They said there is currently ~ $800,000,000,000 in credit card debt, which came out to roughly $7,600 per person 18 years of age and older. They also said that the average savings rate for Americans is now -0.5%. That is absolutely sad! I didn't realize how bad of economic conditions that Americans have put themselves into. I have been so busy this year that I have not kept up with these things like I used to. If this country continues at this rate, there will be serious economic repercussions by the time I am ready to retire. SSI will hopefully be gone by that time, but I seriously wonder what Americans are going to do when that time comes?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

People have been saying exactly that for hundreds of years, yet the US is still around and still functioning quite well.

Yes, I think personal debt in this nation is a problem, but it's not an insurmountable problem, nor will it force the nation to collapse.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

It won't lead to economic collapse, but it could very easily lead to a cut in lifestyles.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

A cut in lifestyles for the average american consumer, yes. This is why working for regular or captive banks is wise. They're the ones getting rich off of our credit card debt.

8. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

That is what blows my mind. Why are Americans getting themselves into such debt? I don't buy something unless I have the cash to buy it.

9. terryoh Registered Senior Member

Actually, they haven't been saying that for hundreds of years. Do you have proof that they have?

10. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Exactly. This is what I do too. I'm fiscally responsible.

The current administration needs to learn this lesson. You'd think more people would be outraged at our unsightly deficit spending on the war. Such irresponsibility! But I digress.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, World War II was fought in the same way ...high debt for the nation that took years to recover from. Would you call fighting World War II irresponsible?

Baron Max

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Fighting one man(who btw is already dead) in a country that has been run as a puppet administration by the US for many years on the possible mayhap perchance could be would be presence of WMDs does not compare to a world war which included half the planet and a holocaust.

Wake up and smell the poo.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, but the issue of the debt DOES compare. And, Sam, this thread is about debt, not which war is good and which is bad! ...LOL!

Baron Max

14. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Apples and oranges, Baron.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Can you see the wood for the trees?

Who finances the US debt? How?

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Debt is not the same thing as ...debt????? Huh?

Baron Max

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Who finances India's debt? How?

Baron Max

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You forget Baron. We've been in worse shit. We can take it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So's America ....and we can take it much, much better than India!

Baron Max

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I hate to say this but have you heard of mooninites?

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sam, India and Indians have been on this planet a lot, LOT, longer than Americans ...yet y'all are still a pitiful pit if starvation, hunger, poor education for the masses, poor housing, poor infrastructure, rampant corruption, rampant discrimination, .....and many other pitiful conditions.

How do you explain that and still be rational enough to denigrate Americans????

And remember, if you use British colonialize as excuses, then I'm going to ask ....why did India and Indians let that happen in the first place?

Baron Max

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not still, now.

We were doing pretty well for a long long time. We got complacent and got bushwhacked. But we've survived 5000 years of invasion (including 200 years of colonialism) without losing our identity.

And we are not planning to get bushwhacked again.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned