debate with God, MLK, confucius, and me

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by justagirl, Mar 18, 2002.

1. justagirl Registered Senior Member

most of society scares me as they seem so willing to go to war...

me..what do you think about it God?

God .."Do not resist an evil person"

Bible pounding person..ohh stop you know about eye for an eye

Martin Luther King...The old law of an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding; it seeks to annihilate rather than convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destrous community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends by defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers

me .. I'm so confused now..lol

God.." love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

Rabban Simeon ben Gamaliel.. The world is sustained by three things: by justice, by truth, and by peace, as it is said, Render in your gates judgments that are true and make for peace (Zechariah 8:16) Mishnah Avot 1:18

By wielding your tool upon [an altar of stones], you have profaned it (Exodus 22:25). The altar was made to add to human life; the iron blade shortens human life. It is not right to wield that which shortens over that which lengthens. Midrash Tanhuma, Yitro 17, 126b

me..well Confucius what do you think?

confucius..The difficulty of attaining to the not wishing to do to others as we wish them not to do to us.

God.." Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Tsze-kung ..."What I do not wish men to do to me, I also wish not to do to men." The Master said, "Ts'ze, you have not attained to that."

Chî K'ang asked Confucius about government, saying, "What do you say to killing the unprincipled for the good of the principled?" Confucius replied, "Sir, in carrying on your government, why should you use killing at all? Let your evinced desires be for what is good, and the people will be good. The relation between superiors and inferiors is like that between the wind and the grass. The grass must bend, when the wind blows across it."

How Confucius valued human life.

The stable being burned down, when he was at court, on his return he said, "Has any man been hurt?" He did not ask about the horses

calling my shrink now...maybe she can explain to me why the world still prefers war.shrugs*

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

justagirl ...

Other than the bible thumper, sounds more like a mutual
    support group meeting than a debate.

Or were you just being facetious?

Take care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. justagirl Registered Senior Member

smiles yeah it is my way of poking fun of people that think "wars are just" as I feel wars just cause more wars.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Chagur, it is a debate. But apparently the most sensible people of all times agree on this subject.

I'd like to add: "so, what's new?"

8. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Oh well ...

justagirl

Wars don't cause more wars! People cause wars and will go to ridiculous
    extremes to justify their 'Just War'. Short of an amnesia-ray to wipe clean
    everyone's memory (ex. "400 years ago .... " You fill in the event) how do
    you propose to accomplish this? Curious

Merlijn

And they are an extremely, repeat, extremely small minority

Take care

9. yisar Registered Member

It seems that the concept of war is as old as the human race.

Though I can’t say I am in favorite of war (of any kind), I cannot refute the fact that many wars has brought significant changes and advances.
    btw, isn’t war part of the Darwinism evolution ?

10. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Welcome to SciForums, yisar!

I don't think Darwin included war in his theory on species evolution. War and oppression have always been components of human history however, and with the advent of Darwin's theory of evolution, man had a new justification for his cruelty. Recall that the prime component of Darwin's ideas revolves around the notion that life progresses by natural selection - the survival of the fittest. Twist logic far enough, and you have the rational to pursue any exploitive agenda.

Peace.

11. yisar Registered Member

alternative

First of all thenks for the welcome.

I must admit that the example of Darwinism is not the best, yet I cannot dismiss the point of view that survival / becoming the fittest is a kind of war even if there is only one side.

Furthemore, I would like to ask what do you see as an alternative for human communication and relation.
    Peacew and love seems to be quite naive ...

12. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

While Darwin did use the phrase "a war of nature," I'm not sure that I can equate that with human war, which is broadly defined as armed hostile conflict between political units. Can you explain why you see this?
    Peace and love aren't methods of communication, they are the result of communication; poor as we are at it.

Peace.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Wars are a result to. They are the result of Hatred and self intrests.

Has anyone ever wondered why we honor self sacrifice?

could it be because that is the ideal which we all strive for or admire?

If we ALL focued on love and eachother the world WOULD be a perfect place. If everyone worried about taking care of eachother we would be taken care of by default.