Death vs. Life Imprisonment

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by goofyfish, Jan 9, 2002.

?

Execution or Imprisonment

1. Execution

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Life in Prison

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Re: Death Penalty cost Vs life imprisonment

Hi Danielle, welcome to SciForums...

Do you have a site where we can view the statistics you provided? I would be interested in reading it "in context" and be able to make judgement as to the accuracy. Thanks for joining in the discussion!

Peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to Sciforums Danielle. That you may be a happy poster here and not argued to death immediately.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I go along with Asguard here. He said it perfectly clear:

*the reason the DP cant be considered self defence if because it dosn't fit the criteria. There is no imediate danger (a requirement for a self defence case) and there are other options (another requirement)*

And if it is true that the death penalty is more expensive, then they are even more stupid to hang on to it then I think. Believe me, I think about people who are justifying the death penalty rather low. It is cold blooded murder. Every time someone is send to the death row! No matter what you say, no matter who's been killed or if it was a brother, sister, mother, father, child or whatever!

Come to your senses please and think about it real hard, with sense...

(I just keep on posting it, over and over the same story if I have to.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Danielle ...

Yes, please do support your claims since, if I remember correctly, the
    "almost half" being overturned after review were in more than two thirds
    of the cases overturned on techical or procedural grounds.

Take care, and welcome to Sciforums :bugeye:

PS By the way ... being 'overturned' usually results in the case being
    remanded back to the lower court, NOT the perp. being freed.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2002
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I don't think you will find anyone here or anywhere else who says that criminals should just go free

what we ARE saying is that the DP is wrong

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I second that!

9. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Death penalty costs more than life imprisonment?

Danielle,
    Welcome to sciforums! I would also like to know where you got your figures from? I learned in my class that almost ALL of the inmates sentenced to the death penalty, try to appeal. Now, when you appeal, the courts have to provide you with a lawyer. Who do you think pays for these lawyers? And when that appeal is denied, they appeal again, and again, and agian. Im going to do a little research and get back to you guys. Another thing, I was talking to my boss on the death penalty. Her, being a christian does not support the death penalty. But, she said this, Even though I think its morally wrong, if I was on a jury, I would set aside my beliefs and go with whats right in eyes of the law. I think she is right. Because I dont think killing someone is right, but it is the law, and if if you kill someone, you have to pay the price.

Groove on

10. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Re: Death penalty costs more than life imprisonment?

"Even though I think its morally wrong... I would set aside my beliefs." I can think of few sadder statements. Just because it's the law, it doesn't necessarily make it right.

In America, we are participants in the law. If we believe a law is wrong, we can work to change the law. Were we compelled to obey the Dred Scott laws on slavery? No, we were not. And many, in good conscience, not only fought to change these laws, but also actively disobeyed them; helping escaped slaves to freedom. Hundreds of examples of bad laws can be found, so simple obedience to authorities cannot be the answer.

Peace.

11. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

goofy

Well, slavery does not compare to the death penalty. Slaves were innocent by all means, the people on death row, are not. And, IT is the law right now, and if you look at the poll above, and a recent poll of the american people is about the same. So apparently, we the people dont think its such a bad law.

Groove on

12. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Since we do not know when and if Danielle is going to reappear, I was finally able to track down a link for her information here, at the ACLU website. The paper is written by Hugo Adam Bedau, retired, of Tufts University. He is "opposed to the death penalty in all its forms, no matter how awful the crime or how savage the criminal." You will need to scroll down to "Financial Costs."
    You keep glossing over the fact that not all people sentenced to die are guilty. How do you reconcile that? An acceptable cost for the return value of...?

Peace.

13. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Goofyfish ...

Thanks for taking the time to find the source of the 'facts'.

Most interesting to me is that with regard to the comparative costs,
    the data is ancient for all practical purposes. Due to the aging of the
    prison population and the cost of HIV treatment, medical costs have
    sky-rocketed to the point that there is serious discussion at present
    in Corrections regarding the review of 'life without parole' sentences
    for the purpose of releasing inmates who are deemed no longer
    capable of being a threat to society.

Take care

14. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

"there is serious discussion at present in Corrections regarding the review of 'life without parole' sentences for the purpose of releasing inmates who are deemed no longer capable of being a threat to society."

My point exactly. Now lets let them out to the streets and let them do it again. If they were executed, they would not be able to return to the streets.

Groove on

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

If they arn't a threat anymore why kill them. They have been Reabilated this is GOOD

16. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Rehabilitation?

Asguard,
    Do you know anyone that has been "rehabilitated" befored? Because I do. I work in a rehabilitation center. Numerous friends and family have been in "rehab". And I know this, it rarely works! Thats why, when we do let multiple offfenders out, they do it again. This is not a good thing. At all. My old professor who has worked in corrections for years even says that rehabilition rarely works. Ive seen this first hand and have studied it at school. I know I wouldnt feel safe living to someone who let out of jail for murder, would you??

Groove on

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Then you don't belive its possable for people to change and if a kid steals a lolly from a shop they should get life without parole at the toughest prison on earth. Of corse you don't because people LEARN from mesakes.

18. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Asguard ...

Don't be ridiculous with your examples. If people 'learned from their mistakes'
    the recidivism rate would not be in the 70 to 80 percent range for the 18
    to 34 age group of males who have previously committed a crime.

No more than we know how to 'cure' mental illness do we know how to
    'rehabilitate' a person. The only thing that has any chance of success, and
    then only with certain types of crime, is to lock them away for twenty or
    thirty years and let age take it's toll.

Take care

Last edited: Mar 19, 2002
  19. ICARRYALOTOFBULLETS Quit smoking...:) Registered Senior Member

Huh? No, that is the whole problem. Criminals don't learn from there mistakes. They just sit in jail waiting to commit some other actrocity that you have to read about in the newspaper. Maybe they should just be moved to Australia, since their so criminal friendly.

20. ICARRYALOTOFBULLETS Quit smoking...:) Registered Senior Member

Than thats what needs to be fixed. Remove the difference. One .45 bullet= .59 cents. That is cost effective.http://www.ammodirect.com

Last edited: Mar 18, 2002
  21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

England already did that and we STILL have a lower crime rate than the US

22. ICARRYALOTOFBULLETS Quit smoking...:) Registered Senior Member

So you think its a good idea than.

23. Nephilim Registered Senior Member

I don't think death is the only option out there and they get used to jail, even miss when they get out. If it was up to me, they would be consolidated into a work force and made to clean this country up from east to west. At least we'll get something out of them.