Death Poll

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by relleumsirhc, Jul 20, 2002.

?

How long would you rather live for?

1. 100 years

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. 1000 years

21 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. relleumsirhc Banned Banned

which would you rather live for?

comments please

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The 100 years that we are "limited to" does not seem to be enough. All, with few exceptions want more. I would suggest that when approaching the 1000 year mark that would also be the case. I would choose none of the above...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Firefly Registered Senior Member

People usually want what they can't have

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

8. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Don't the two come together? Well, suppose they come in seperate servings too ...

9. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Why have any limit?

10. Hoth Registered Senior Member

Natural instinct tells me to prefer living 1000 years, although it really doesn't make much difference (except 900 years). Of course this is assuming I'd be healthy during all that time and not on life support or something.

Well, the eventual dispersion of heat to the point where atoms no longer hold together as the universe approaches a heat death (or compression of matter as the universe heats up if you're a big crunch theorist) is certainly a very firm limit. You're just a piece of the universe yourself, you can't change the nature of the universe. If you were a so-called immortal, you'd probably spend all your time feeling upset about not being able to live a longer life... any point within time is eventually now, and after a few billion years it'd seem to you as though millenia were passing in a second. Living 1000 years is highly unlikely, but talking about living forever is illogical.

11. Nova1021 Registered Senior Member

A favorite quote of mine, i forget where i heard it...

"I plan to live forever, or die trying!"

I'll take 1000 years, more time to do stuff. Imagine what your life experiences would include if you were around back at 1002 AD. Imagine what you'd see if you could live that long.

12. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

only a 1000 years in a 1000 years you could learn a lot of things and u get to play with all the cool new stuff. it all so depends if u would age are not staying in my 20s would be good if u aged then it would suck.

13. overdoze human Registered Senior Member

Hopefully, 1000 years would be enough time to figure out how to extend it to 10,000, then 1,000,000 and eventually out to a few trillion or so.

14. Bohemian Nightmare I am better than you Registered Senior Member

I dont think i believe in an end an sutch. Every end, is by definition, a new beginning. Id wouldnt live in this physical worl any longer than nature intends me to.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

is there a spiritual world?

all I know my nature wants me to live as lomg as it is or is not possible

16. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

I could've sworn I replied to something similiar to this topic... :bugeye:

No long life for me, please. 60 years is good enough. I wouldn't want to see myself and others become old and decrepit, or cynical. I mean, I can hardly bear turning older right now, and I'm still just a kid! I don't wanna grow old, I don't wanna have responsibilities, I wanna be a happy, ignorant kid! Waaaaahhh...

Ok, I'm fine.

17. sinecure71 Registered Senior Member

Living to be 1000 would suck if everyone you loved had died. Plus, the characters in Anne Rice's books hated living that long

18. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah, Anne Rice! Did you read the one about the vampire having a human body, then having to learn everything over again (including sex), then getting really sick and near dying because he couldn't take care of himself?

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I would have nothing against being a vampire and I've read the Anne Rice books.

20. zagen Philophanian Registered Senior Member

I would have something against being a vampire. I mean no odd sleeping paterns??? Cant wake up at 5 in the afternoon, read a book, go for a jog, then fall asleep again and wake up at 2 in the morning?? what kind of crazy person could live without that?

Also the killing people might be a little bad for my morals.

The 1000 years would give you much more time to learn, enjoy life than trying to rush though it, going from here to there, and really only doing a few things, and only having a few careers. Though after living that long you might get addicted to it, and want more and more.

But if you lived that long you would probably have your own philosophy for your life down pretty well and most likely be comfortable with dying and passing on. Or you might realize that life is great as it is, and there's no reason to die, so why not have more of it.

Who knows what you might decide but not very many people decide anything that serious(that are very sure of it) in only 100 years.

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

If it would become truth that people could live a thousand years, they would not change a bit.

People are people and will adjust to their new, long life prospectations with the same old songs and the same old stories.

And then, who is to say you will actually live that long. You might get killed somehow, somewhere down the line.

Even if human minds should get uploaded in Cris's Robo-Sapiens, than that would become the habit. Just common. A human mind is a human mind, uploaded or not.

In all cases nothing would really change...

I go for the vampire by the way, without hesitation. It's a nightlife anyhow, now.

22. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

as memory serves me, the only two who had that attitude where Louis and Armand... and Armand's reluctance was based on religious beliefs.

The others seemed to cope quite well. Lestat revelled in his immortailty, as did Gabrielle. Maharet and Marius found purpose.

Personally, a thousand years would give me a hell of a long time to work shit out, not to mention being able to live rather well on the proceeds of long term investments after the first hundred years or so.

those who dont want to live longer merely lack the imagination and will to do so, or they're too young to know what death is or fully understand the fear of it.

23. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

me

good morning zagen
    welcome abroad

ppol could change.
    certain age groups hav certain stereotypical personality traits.
    i wonder what the personality traits of ppol in their 900s r like

i wonder if you stop aging at the age of 20, and when u r now 70, still in ur 20 year old body, would u still act like a 20 year old and meet firends in their 20s? or would u act like a 70 year old and hang out with older ppol. or would u hang out with everyone?

the filmaker that did the movie kids and a few other movies has kids of his own and is in his 50s, and still hangs out with the kids on the street playing games.

i prefer 2 b 1000. that way, i could have more time to actually build my city and watch it grow for generations. i would also have time 2 end world poverty and slavery! and visit other planets. and meet hostile aliens. and learn all the things iv always wanted 2 learn. uh oh. gotta go!