'Death-on-demand culture' risky, ethics expert warns

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Brian Foley, May 2, 2009.

1. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

We’ve done Nazi Germany one better; we’ve convinced our “undesirables” to turn themselves in for execution.
    Far too many people are ignoring the chilling similarities between Nazi Germany and the current culture of death.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Play it again, Aaron

Probably because the subject is far too complex and dynamic for mere casual exploration. Some people, certainly, will elect to undertake the question, but even among experts they frequently settle on the wrong questions, attempting to define the problem in easily communicable, popular terms and thus rendering the proposition in such a form as to demonstrate exactly the need for experts who can't do their job.

In the face of that, weep for the common soul.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

We live in increasingly amoral, (not immoral) times.
    Anything goes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

The article says:

"medical and technological advances now allow doctors to do more for their patients, including detecting defects in unborn children, which is adding to a death-on-demand culture."

Nazi germany had a state planned law in action against certain types of birth. In our society its the couple or mother that decides whether they want to raise a child with birth defects. I think its outrageous to force someone to give birth to a child they do not wish to raise or cannot afford to care for.

8. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Thank you, Lucy.

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Its the hysteria they try and employ to justify their anit-abortion, anti-death with dignity (euthanasia and assisted sucide) that really irks me. Why can't they get their big fat heads out of these intensely personal private issues?

10. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Because you don't have the right to decide for your own body! It's owned by the right wing radicals.

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

In that case then I'll arm my kitty with teeth

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

No kidding.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I just get so irritated over people who have never been pregnant in a bad situation or never had a horrible disease and yet are so against abortion/death with dignity. Why do people feel entitled to tell others how to run their lives?

The world is just chock full of people who know what's right for you and me. I even have to think it carefully for myself. What's wrong with me, with the consideration and all?

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

It's called "society", and that's what "society" does for it's members. And I'll just bet that you like/approve of some of those rules/laws, yet here it seems that you're railing against all laws.

Baron Max

14. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Society is a lot more than people telling me about medical decisions. The end of my body is my choice, always. Medical procedures, as a legal adult, are my choice, always.

I also don't think blindly plodding along with society is a smart or efficient way to live.

15. swarm Registered Senior Member

What? You haven't been exterminated yet? The system is obviously broken.

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

"Did I request thee maker to make me man ?"-Frankenstein.
    I'm personally torn with the issue, but I look at it this way.

As long as the state, or the human race does not have to suffer the consequences, we have no right to pass judgment on those that chose abortion or euthanasia.