Death & Atheism

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by S.A.M., Sep 3, 2006.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Whose definition are you talking about?

This is not avoidance and this is why I hate getting into theistic discussions with you.

You expect me to give an explanation that conforms to YOUR definition, when our definitions are not even the same!

How is that even possible? Well I cannot. It is as simple as that.

edit: and I most certainly do not head for the hills; you ask questions that make no sense and expect sensible answers.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

More avoidance. Forget it. You're not here to discuss anything.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

From the perspective of the four year old, I would tend to agree with you.

So, what do you excel at, strategy, tactics, openings, middlegame, endgame?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

(Q):

"From the perspective of the four year old, I would tend to agree with you."

I also base this on my mother's consistant anger at my father for acting such when I was a young boy. They'd get into spats over it.

"So, what do you excel at, strategy, tactics, openings, middlegame, endgame? "

I've recently been studying up more on various openings, attempting to gain an encylopedia knowledge of them. But in general, my main points have been strategy, tactics, and the middle-game. Occasionally I seem to make wasteful moves, according to computers, in the end-game. That is, I often do not see quicker move variations to mate, alhough I generally win regardless of such.

And yourself?

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Usually, the first game I play with someone, I try for a strong middlegame, feeling out my opponents first moves to see what level they're at or if they're following a particular play or method. I have a weaker endgame, hence games played after the first I usually attack from the opening and try not to make any wasteful moves. As such, if my opponent recognizes my lack of defence, they'll try to take advantage of it, that's why I have to keep them busy on the defence from the opening.

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Not at all. It's just a reminder to theists and atheists alike that there are still deep mysteries out there beyond the shell.

Ooook...

I don't have a concept of god, remember?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Whatever, dudette.

10. John99 Banned Banned

Methinks "higherpower" would also denote HIGHER INTELLIGENCE, this is where the conundrum lies for most.

Precisely.

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Here is a computer simulation

12. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

LightGigantic:

That was pretty hilarious, actually.

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

There is another one called Buddhist

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

you misread my post Q, I said I beat him in less than 5 (meaning less than 5 minutes) and I said he was on guard after that, indicating I did not win the second game. You are so anti-me, you can't even read my posts correctly.

He was a few yrs older me and a metalurgist. He's now a bank manager in Hong kong, go figure?

It's a true story the fact you doubt it demonstrates jealousy on your part. Anyway I think he was expecting an easy victory so he took his eye off the ball.

Either way it was a very long time ago, maybe 14yrs.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Considering that a large percentage of theists, if not a majority, believe that other theists who don't subscribe to the same version of theism will have an eternal life of pain and suffering, I'm grateful that there is no afterlife. I won't have the misfortune of being judged by one of their cruel, capricious gods, the ones who create imperfect beings and then spend the rest of eternity sitting on their celestial butts and getting their jollies by punishing us for being imperfect.

As for what I think about spirituality... Spirituality is an archetype, something that occurs in all societies in all eras. It is obviously an instinct, a feeling that is hard-wired into our synapses like fear, love, shame, and all the rest. Like all feelings it's stronger in some people than in others. And since humans have an amazing ability to override their instincts with learning and reason without suffering ill effects, some people choose to override their spirituality the same way they override their feelings of hatred and vengeance.

And for the same reason. It's a relic from the Stone Age that will drag us down.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Yes, I'm oh-so jealous of you, in fact, I wish I was you.

Let us pray to the invisible forces.

17. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I'll respond only to the original post with no regard to what's been posted afterward.

(EDIT: Wow. Geez. Okay, maybe from now on I should look at the date of the last post, at the very least. But the deed has been done.)

I can only speak for myself.

A biological event isn't evil. But I suppose you mean this: Do we consider it as something that must happen, no matter how much we dislike the idea of it? I think I would at some point want to die, because immortal probably isn't worth being.

This one does.

What do you mean "logically possible"? What does being an atheist have to do with the logical possibility of facing life and death with happiness? Please explain.

In the third person? Not sure what this means. No one directly addresses death when speaking, nor talks from the point of view of death, to my knowledge. But okay... :bugeye:

I think to assert that there's no meaning or purpose in existing is a logical conclusion for an atheist. At least, that's the logical conclusion I've come to. And for the record, that doesn't really depress me. I've accepted the idea, because there's nothing I can really do about it.

It is a sad thought that humankind's existence, indeed all existence, means nothing and will remain that way. But it doesn't cripple me. Often I don't even think about it.

I do think we have control over ourselves, and indeed ought to. Of course, I also think you ought to give lots of forethought before you do it, and it's always better not to do it. But ultimately, it's my life, and even if I didn't have the choice to receive it, I'd like the choice to give it up.

He might be okay with it though. He might personally feel that even if freedom is hell, it's better than no freedom.

That sounds like a good way of making a purpose for ourselves. I do think that even if we have no real purpose, we can certainly decide to "fool ourselves", if you will, by making a purpose for ourselves.

I guess that sounds right.

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The deed is never done - - -

I think probably the atheists who believe in reincarnation might have a different take on death than those who don't.

An atheist might believe that each moment was an eternity, and death just another delusion. Alternatively, that death is welcome as the only possible thing that gives meaning to the life, which is everpresent in each moment.

An atheist might notice that death is a really, really funny punchline - the ultimate absurdity. "You know the Master by his laugh".

One of my own quarrels with the French existentialists is their odd lack of humor - Sartre has what apparently is an enlightenment, and claims it nauseated him ? Whatever, dude.

The courage of those firm in despair is attractive, though. And I can't help but feel there must be something a little hollow about believing in a God because the alternative is thought to be some kind of bad mood, or fear of the incredible realization that you, too, are going to die.

(Larsen's Cow: "Hey, This is grass !!! We've been eating grass !!!)

Mildly depressed people are known to be more accurate judges of size, weight, time, and likelihood of future events. Maybe atheism is just another(correlated) price one pays for clarity - - - -