Deadly shooting at US university

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Ghost_007, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

samcdkey, Rs 25,000 is $601 USD, about what Cho spent on his Glock 19, and if you are from the middle class in India the information says that you have a Income from Rs 208,500 to about Rs 2,000,000, which seem to show that there is a large segment of your population that could readily afford the price of a gun legally, no how much does it cost to buy a gun on the black market? in America it is about 1/5 the price of a legal gun.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're thinking like an American. Indian students don't leave home at 18.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Middle class indians probably have better things to do than to shoot other people.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

spuriousmonkey, just like a middle class Korean student?

8. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

samcdkey

And Cho was 23 or 24 and still living on daddys dime.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Site prof, pleece.

10. John99 Banned Banned

in this demohnstarion (thread) of the universality of hatred and animosity can we learn anything?

a symbol of human weakness, the bias, the prejudice...should it just be accepted and acknowledged? and so the cycle continues, throughout the centuries, knowing no borders, no color.

Note: The word below (heav'n) is heaving not heaven.

"John you ******** (edited)"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

'Many and sharp the num'rous ills
    Inwoven with our frame!
    More pointed still we make ourselves
    Regret, remorse, and shame!
    And Man, whose heav'n-erected face
    The smiles of love adorn, -
    Man's inhumanity to man
    Makes countless thousands mourn!

-Robert Burns, 1785

the more things change the more they stay the same.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  11. John99 Banned Banned

yes a microcosm...just the same \ just the same.

12. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

samcdkey

ABC News: Killer's Note: 'You Caused Me to Do This'
    Law enforcement officials have provided this official photo of Cho Seung-hui, the man they identify as the killer at Virginia Tech. Cho was a 23-year-old ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/17/us/18gunmanCND.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

Every 10 years, lawful permanent residents are required to renew their green cards. Mr. Cho did so, and was issued a new card on Oct. 27, 2003. Applicants seeking a green-card renewal undergo a criminal background check through various law enforcement databases, said Chris Bentley, a spokesman for United States Citizenship and Immigration Services in Washington. “Nothing showed up in those checks that told us he couldn’t have his green card renewal,” he said.

Under the law for Cho to be covered under his fathers green card he had to be a student supported by his family at school.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I'm curious as to the mortality rate of schizo's in India. Do your five year statistics look good because the worst cases are all dead by then?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not really, mental illness is treated as something requiring support, and Indian society generally makes room for such people in their own families and in occupations requiring little effort. Institutionalization is pretty rare and only in urban areas.

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I still say mortality explains the gap. You mean to tell me that in Nigeria a schizophrenic is better off than the US (note that Nigeria's stats are even better than Indias)? I don't buy it.

In Nigeria, normal people can barely survive. There's constant war and starvation. Yet somehow it's a paradise for the mentally ill?

No way. It's sink or swim. All the worst cases die in third world countries. In the US we keep them alive, and screw up our stats.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You could believe what you like, or you could actually read the literature on it.
    http://psychservices.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/57/1/143-a

17. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

I probably like madanthony, have read the literature, and like him have come to the conclusion that something is rotten in India, the numbers don't add up, even a layman can see this, just because it is written by some one who you claim to have the intelligence, don't mean it isn't bullshit.

18. John99 Banned Banned

Sam,

The arthicle you coiped states thusly:

The reason could be fear.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0WDP/is_2001_August_13/ai_77825835

Basically, they were chained to their beds and died in a fire. I am surpeirsed any of them were still 'ill'.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Since most of the literature is out of the US,what you are saying is, your own psychiatrists don't know shit. And of course the drug industry must be supported, its way too much to expect Americans to invest their time and emotions in people.

21. John99 Banned Banned

There should not be. I know that sending rockets into space and building your very own nuclear bomb is nice (um, well not reallyt...no) but these are people. Poor people pay the highest price when society places the emphasis on blind ambition over humanity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/1476245.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/1178714.stm

This is not just the mindless ranting of a lunatic posting on a message board to get even with society, we have seen this done before. At some point we need to see that poor people are damnit their people...living breathing people who need our help.

This thread became a magnet (i am speaking of one or two people in this thead and another) and displayed their anger and malice but the point of this thread shopulfd have been on understanding the problem and helping those who are far too often discarded by society.

In Cho's case we have trhe opposite end of the spectrum. Where his rights and his feeling superceded the safety of anyone he came into contact with. I am not saying chaining and beating patients is the amswer, but what is?

American socity becomes more liberal at it's peril, tolerance is one thing but we cannot protect people untill they explode.

In U.S let's just hope that medical science is capable of seeing where it is going in the wrong direction. Med's and compassion will not allways going to work.

Rant over.

NOTE: overlook spelling and grammer...ok.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  22. John99 Banned Banned

Note: Going through the two related threads i noticed it is the other one where the personal animosity and anger got out of hand.

23. draqon Banned Banned

...animosity...anger...were did you see that?