Dawkins Choice: Abuse and Religion

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by S.A.M., Apr 18, 2008.

?

Dawkins Choice: what is your opinion?

1. Treat religion like abuse

38.1%
  2. Treat abuse like religion

4.8%
  3. Some other opinion

57.1%
  1. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Teaching children religion as a literal truth isn't quite the same as knocking their teeth out. But that doesn't mean it's not abusive. It is.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The re-education camps are standard under atheism. For some reason, its one of the first things they get involved in, how to impose their ideologies on those who believe in God. See Dawkins, he's already salivating at the prospect of getting the children away from their parents, so his "superior" ideology will be adopted by them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Bullshit.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Clearly, the only nonabusive parents are the ones keeping their children away from religion.

8. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Clearly you are a master of not making any sense.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I find it odd that the very people who complain about religious interference in school, academia, politics, society and family life consider their own interference to be "special".

I wonder what any atheist would say to a similar recommendation about athiest children by a recognised theist.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You are both committing the logical fallacy of the "slippery slope". If you actually used your alleged intellects to read Dawkins, you would notice something extraordinarily foriegn to religious fundamentalism.

Why aren't Catholics and ex-Catholics lining up to sue the church into the ground, for a lifetime of psychological damage?

I am not advocating this course of action. Much as I would like to see the Roman Catholic Church ruined, I hate opportunistically retrospective litigation even more. Lawyers who grow fat by digging dirt on long-forgotten wrongs, and hounding their aged perpetrators, are no friends of mine. All I am doing is calling attention to an anomaly. By all means, let's kick a nasty institution when it is down, but there are better ways than litigation. And an obsessive concentration on sexual abuse by priests is in danger of blinding us to all their other forms of child abuse.

...in the same way as Amnesty works tirelessly to free political prisoners the world over, we should work to free the children of the world from the religions which, with parental approval, damage minds too young to understand what is happening to them​

http://richarddawkins.net/article,118,Religions-Real-Child-Abuse,Richard-Dawkins

I suppose you want to imply that Amnesty International are also Nazis?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

“So we should no more allow parents to teach their children to believe, for example, in the literal truth of the Bible or that the planets rule their lives, than we should allow parents to knock their children’s teeth out or lock them in a dungeon.” [pp. 325-326 of The God Delusion]

This is about parents, not the Catholic Church.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

He doesn't even advocate litigation, much less your fantasies about atheist police. The thing is theists always want to play the victim, even if they are the ones doing the abusing.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You do know he signed a petition to "Make it illegal to indoctrinate or define children by religion before the age of 16."

Response from Downing Street:

http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page12202.asp

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is unrealistic to try to stop parents raising their children in their religion (their religions command that they do so), but what we can do is stop religious schools perpetuating this endless cycle of mental abuse. Through our school system let us strive to produce young adults who are free-thinking and who have a healthy skepticism of any institution that would attempt to brainwash them.

JOHN PLUMMER
    New Westminster
    www.smartsociety.org

16. Kadark Banned Banned

Wow, this is so indescribably absurd and oppressive that it almost makes me mad.

Lucky for me, though, that Dawkins is merely a rabid preacher who is literally powerless in achieving any of his unrealistic and childish objectives. Seriously, does he think religious people will refrain from teaching their children about religion? Hah! I sincerely hope the rest of his worthless book isn't peppered with nonsensical excerpts such as the one you provided.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Here is another petition to abolish ALL faith schools:
    http://richarddawkins.net/article,313,E-Petition-Abolish-Faith-Schools,Petitionspmgovuk

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Here is more "scientific" declarations:

So teaching about religion is more damaging, significantly greater than sexual molestation?

Source for this incredible study?

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I have to speak here: religion is not damaging, any more than happiness need be damaging. There is hyperbole on both sides.

Both sides may now slam me at will.

20. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

That's funny because 90% of my "certified teachers" in high school were inept.(and it shows)

But hey, if the football coach wants to teach math,great. Who cares if he can add when he's winning football games. If want to learn about abuse, then piss off the star linebacker but don't expect him to be reprimanded because there's a big game Friday.

Religion is not abuse in it's self,(though it can lead to it). People who push for it's removal can't evenly weigh the alternative...even when it's right in front of their face.

I wasn't taught religion as a child,Humanism drove me to religion. It's a fraud.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The ineptness of certain high school teachers is not an excuse to let just anyone be responsible for your education.

22. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Not anyone ,Your parents and legal guardians...You know, the ones held responsible if you're a social fuck up.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Right, and they should be responsible for ensuring that you are taught by a qualified teacher.