David Attenborough ... the Darwin of our Time

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by RainbowSingularity, Aug 27, 2019.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

What theory has David presented on evolution ?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

roughly...
    how many of davids documentary's have you watched and listened to ?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

Many

None of his documentary's struck me as " that's new " ; to me .

8. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i thought you liked science ?
    yet you do not give a numerical answer

you are pandering to your own sense of vagueness to try and deliver the answer you want to your question.
    that is scientifically disingenuous.

"many" is entirely subjective to the individual and avoids you having to give a real "rough" answer.

% ... roughly how many ?

9. river

100% .

And in none of them did he present a theory of evolution different from Darwin .

David is a Naturalist , not a theorist .

10. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinism

as opposed to
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Darwin

i like how you reduce Charles Darwin to a single theory.
    that seems a little harsh for all his life time of work documenting life forms

there are only around 5 people in the world whom have seen 100% of Davids documentary's.

are you a creationist ?

Dear Charles Darwin, you are nothing but a single theory.
    signed ...
    River ... 2019 the year of my head up my ass

11. river

No I'm not a creationist .

So what has any of this have any thing to do with the OP ?

What theory did David Attenborough have on Evolution?

12. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

you wish to change your question and example for the definition ?
    thats ok

your question is
    "what has evolution got to do with Charles Darwin?"
    as you realise
    and change your question...

have a think about your question then think about what you are wanting to discuss/uncover/talk about/question

then post your question again once you have decided.

13. river

Where in my post(s) did this question arise ? ( high lighted ) ?

14. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Darwin#Survey_voyage_on_HMS_Beagle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinism

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/an...e-way-we-see-the-natural-world-our-top-clips/

i did not say anything about David developing a theory of evolution
    i did not say anything about David creating "Sir David Attenborough-ism"

you seem to be attempting to direct the thread into a false debate about what isnt is.
    i am resisting the urge to say some more cutting comments but im keeping it polite.

suffice to say your attempting direction of the thread is only possible because this is posted in free thoughts.
    otherwise you would be trolling.

your free thoughts are noted.
    ...thread killer attempt ... or Sir David Attenborough hater ?

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

This is one of the few time I agree with river. Darwin put forth an extremely profound theory that has been invaluable to science and David Attenenborough has good speaking voice.

16. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

soo.. speaking 'your language'
    Darwins Survey Voyage on the Beagle was completely pointless and meant nothing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Darwin#Survey_voyage_on_HMS_Beagle

that is an interesting opinion Origin

the much more profound scientific reality is you have seen a bandwagon go past that you just cant resist jumping on for the pure self indulgent pleasure to feel self validated by engaging in a convenient Ego battle to feel self-righteous.

thats quite a puerile reinforcement of your online personality.

im soo special and valuable that i have gifted my time to say your wrong
    because im right ..
    crys the little spoilt fat child stealing pies.
    "there is no such thing as stealing/climate change" crys the spoilt little pie thief.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You would really need to be a total jerk to agree with river.
    As confusing a style of posting that "Rainbow Singularity"does have, it is in this case obvious what message he is trying to convey. Good speaking voice??? Is that the sum of your opinion of this great Naturalist and film maker is? or as Rainbow Singularity has says, are you just engaging in some form of purile self righteous pedant?
    This Naturalist at the age of 93, has done, and is doing more for the planet, science and the environment then you could ever think of doing. And you then smugly claim, "good speaking voice"?
    He is a true living treasure.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Attenborough
    David Frederick Attenborough OM CH CVO CBEFRS FLS FZS FSA FRSGS (/ˈætənbrə/; born 8 May 1926)[2][3] is an "English broadcaster and natural historian. He is best known for writing and presenting, in conjunction with the BBC Natural History Unit, the nine natural history documentaryseries forming the Life collection that together constitute a comprehensive survey of animal and plant life on Earth. He is a former senior managerat the BBC, having served as controller of BBC Two and director of programming for BBC Television in the 1960s and 1970s. He is the only person to have won BAFTAs for programmes in each of black and white, colour, HD, 3D and 4K.[4][5]

Attenborough is widely considered a national treasure in Britain, although he himself does not like the term.[6][7][8] In 2002 he was named among the 100 Greatest Britons following a UK-wide poll for the BBC.[9] He is the younger brother of the director, producer and actor Richard Attenborough,[10] and older brother of the motor executive John Attenborough."

"For the Antarctic research vessel, see RRS Sir David Attenborough."

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  18. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Quit being a dickhead. I enjoy watching his nature shows, saying he is the Darwin of our time is ridiculous.

19. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Have you lost your mind?

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

• Please do not flame other members.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Such pretentious fucking nonsense, from the forum pretender! Like I said jerk, you need to be a jerk to agree with river! Or at least be man enough to recognise the gist of the OP instead of your usual pretentious self gratuitous prick waving.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not much thinking needed to work out who the dickhead is. Good speaking voice indeed!

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

''Every ten years, an area the size of Britain disappears under a jungle of concrete.'' - David Attenborough

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

This is his greatness, and what so obviously the OP was inferring. He has brought to notice, with his many vivid documentaries and films, the dangers global warming and other destructive human endeavours.
    And via other means also....
    https://time.com/5560233/david-attenborough-climate-documentary-netflix/
    "Now Attenborough is putting his voice and the weight of authority he has accumulated to greater moral purpose. In recent months he has stood in front of powerful audiences at the 2018 U.N. climate talks in Katowice, Poland, and the 2019 World Economic Forum at Davos, in Switzerland, to urge them into action on climate change. These kinds of events are not his chosen habitat, Attenborough tells TIME. “I would much prefer not to be a placard-carrying conservationist. My life is the natural world. But I can’t not carry a placard if I see what’s happening.”

"And yet even as he tries to spur action, Attenborough confesses that he has trouble staying optimistic. “The question is, Are we going to be in time, and are we going to do enough? And the answer to both of those is no,” he says. “We won’t be able to do enough to mend everything. But we can make it a darn sight better than it would be if we didn’t do anything at all.”

"The reality of our changing planet is something Attenborough, who has seen more of it than most people alive, has long been aware of. For decades, he has decried the tendency of human development to crowd out natural habitats. He was present at the founding of the WWF in 1961, he says, even though he was just a “junior pipsqueak” at the time.

But it wasn’t until relatively recently that Attenborough became certain of mankind’s role in climate change. It sounds surprising given his body of work, but as he tells it, he didn’t want to base his judgment on observation alone. “It’s very dangerous to take a worldwide phenomenon and think you’re going to find just one scene in one locality that will prove it’s actually happening,” he says."