Dartmoor Beast Identified As New Species Of European Giant Hyrax?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by common_sense_seeker, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

But was it a different color? You say the beast had some grey in it. Couldn't that just be the light shining off the shiny parts of his coat? Take a look at my picture in my avatar. My hair is a solid brown color...but since apparently I was using a good conditioner, my hair is nice and shiny. Light reflecting off these shiny parts makes my hair look lighter in some parts, than it really is, in the low-res photo.

Wow..what color is the sky in your world? What's more likely? That it was a previously unknown giant species of an animal that lives no where near the area, in a completely different climate?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The photo in the ForteanTimes article (which anyone can register free of charge for) shows the colours of the people in the background quite vividly, with reds, browns and blacks etc with which to compare shades and lighting effects. When done, one can see that the color of the animal can be catagorically stated as shaggy black with grey tinge, with a grey neck and throat area.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

..........................waiting.
    ................................................waiting.

OK, don't read the story.
    I'll tell you.
    The point of the Conan Doyle Story is that the Spectral Hound is not a demon, but a large dog.
    Probably a Newfoundland, just like Lucinda's dog.
    Even Conan Doyle didn't believe in the Hound, and he believed in Fairies!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I originally took you to task for this remark.
    I pointed out that Dartmoor was smaller than this. (368 square miles).

Your response, which I have only just noticed:
    I readily concede that the subtlety of your argument was not evident at first. You seem to think that the hyraxes could be roaming well beyond the confines of Dartmoor. That does render my initial criticism invalid, but it simply raises two (not one) errors in your thinking.
    1. Big cats are territorial, therefore they very definitely have ranges.
    2. There are major roads and urban settlements surrounding Dartmoor, so why aren't we seeing there corpses as road kill, or hearing of frightened housewives startled as a hyrax plunges through their rose garden?

CSE, your proposal was amusing at first. Your adherence to it once the dog's owner has come forward is simply pathetic. If I was a decent sort I would take pity on your stupidity and just walk away, but frankly I find your willful ignorance offensive and am happy to seek out any opportunity to hold you up to ridicule. God, or nature, or chance, did not give us a brain to waste on such nonsense. Grow up for ****'s sake.

8. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

No answer to this have you mainstreamers?

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It has been answered clearly by more than one poster. Stop being congenitally stupid. Oh, wait. If your condition is congenital, then I guess you can't stop.

The dog is not in the same location as the people in the background. Therefore it is not necessarily in the same lighting conditions. Therefore it will not necessarily display as clearly as they do.

You are completely ignoring that we do not see directly, but that our optical system interprets what is there. Look at this site and scroll down to the chessboard. Here the 'black' square is actually the same shade/colour as the white square. They appear different because of their context. The situation with the dog is analogous.

So you have three potential explanations for the differences:

1. Specific lighting conditions on the subject and the rest of the environment.
    2. The way the visual system works in the human brain.
    3. Technical capability of the camera, its setting and the film characteristics.

You have heard of Occam's razor, haven't you? Here we are with a woman quite readily saying "it's my dog", but you wish to propose that there is more evidence for it being a creature wholly unknown to science. I mean really!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

11. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

That is our answer.

12. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Here's evidence that the giant hyrax exists on the American continent as well The Honey Island Swamp Monster. The prints are of 4 front toes and 3 back toes of a giant hyrax imo!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

The article doesn't even mention Hyrax. You just really really want these things to exist, don't you?

14. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

What's wrong with finding the truth to a monster mystery? Better for everyone surely? They would become protected and a vast area of habitat will become protected as well hopefully. A giant species of the ice age, intelligent enough to remain undetected under our noses? What a story!

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Looks like a dog.

16. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

It leaves tracks with three toes and four toes though. Hunters are familiar with dog tracks, and the Louisiana officials would easily be able to identify them if that was the case.

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

18. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Louisiana? I thought this was about the DARTMOOR 'beast'?

20. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Where does it say that?

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It is the Dartmoor Beast. It just happens to be in Louisiana at the moment. Earlier CSS said this:

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh great.. lol

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

They have a magic carpet, piloted by Leprichauns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.