Dark Energy and the expansion of the universe

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by scott10, Mar 23, 2005.

1. scott10 Registered Member

Hi im new here and just wanted to get a question answered thats been bugging me for quite a while.

I have heard a little bit of information on dark energy that is supposedly invisible and is actually expanding our universe (scientist formally thought that the universe was getting smaller).

So my question is could someone give a some information on dark energy (or a good website with the info) because my theory is that dark matter is just gravity from other universes (meaning that ours is not the only one) that is pullin our universe apart.
    Please explain how my theory is wrong.

thanks in advance,

Scott

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scott10 Registered Member

sorry if this thread is very ignorant but im not as well versed in these subjects as the others on this forum.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Scott, welcome to sciforums.
    Now, how would you test your hypothesis? If you cannot make some predictions from it then it can't be considered a hypothesis and certainly not a theory. It is merely speculation: interesting speculation, but speculation nonetheless.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    Yeah, I too believe that dark matter is just gravity from other universes. ( Er, gravity maybe also be `leaking` from other dimensions – but that’s another story).
    And there are some who do believe that dark matter and dark energy are actually aspects of one `thing`. <i>Dark energy</i> expands space, while <i>dark matter</i> exhibits a gravitational influence on around galaxies…

It may consist of lots of strange sounding things like <b>MACHOs</b>, <b>WIMP</b>s and <b>Neutrinos</b>.
    Or there may be new solutions involving superstring theory or modifying old theories (such as the second-generation scalar field, <b> k-essence</b>)

Currently, the leading candidate for dark matter is a particle called a <b>neutralino</b> (which has the mass of about 100 protons and interacts only weakly with normal matter - a wimp!) ; another is that its caused by a previously unrecognised subatomic particle they call the "<b>acceleron</b>," that’s linked to the fact that neutrinos have a small amount of mass.

OR, it may be that the cosmic acceleration of the universe is caused/answered by us modifying the standard laws of gravity at very large distances.

<font color=pink> < Shrugs shoulders > </font>
    But it’s early days yet…
    <font color=pink> < /Shrugs shoulders > </font>

BTW, Have you tried google?

8. Gambit Star Universal Entity Registered Senior Member

Dark energy to me is a balancing element.

In order for anything in space in to exsist in a constant form or formation, there has to be an influential entity, such as dark matter, that can be the polar to the element.

Space would just act as a nursery for these two combinations of entities to create matter. One creates the base reaction, one creates the nature of the action / reaction.

9. scott10 Registered Member

Well thank you all for your answers I am getting really interested and will have to go do some research on it.

10. Lucas Registered Senior Member

They did not believe that the Universe was getting smaller, only that was expanding in a decelerating manner

11. Itseemstome Registered Senior Member

When scientists discovered that, according to their theories, 85 or so % of the universe was missing they invented 'dark matter' or 'dark energy' on the principal that their theories must be right and there couldn't possibly be any thing out there, or indeed in here, of which they were not aware. It's the sort of thing that got people burned at the stake in centuries gone by, except then it was called witchcraft.

12. Itseemstome Registered Senior Member

Ooops, I've just read the 'Theory of Gravitation' on this topic. Maybe that 85% isn't missing after all.

13. Lucas Registered Senior Member

But there are not other viable alternatives, at least if you want to keep considering general relativity as something sacred. General Realtivity has proven to work in a great different number of experiments. Dark matter explains many things about rotation of galaxies; there has been discovered a galaxy called VIRGOHI21 that is believed to be composed exclusively of dark matter, hence is a dark matter galaxy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIRGOHI21

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  14. THC Registered Member

i kind of hate "dark Energy".
    for me, just because the universe is expanding does not mean that some "physical" dark energy must be expanding it. also, w/ VirgoHI21, that seems explainable as being an old system full of (heavy) black holes.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  15. blobrana Registered Senior Member

@THC

Hi,
    Did you mean dark energy?

>>w/ VirgoHI21, that seems explainable as being an old system full of (heavy) black holes.

The black hole would have to be created from nonbaryonic (normal matter) as the background photon density from the big bang would betray the presence of more `normal` matter.

Either way, your black holes are still `dark matter`.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(And probably easier to see, and discount, through lensing effects)

16. AngelOfDisease Registered Member

There are no other universes, pal. What we think are other universes are simply dimensions we cannot comprehend. At least this is the theory I believe. I believe there are over the said 11 deminsions and that we just can't quite get a grip on it. The anti-gravity (or dark energy as you're calling it) is what Einstein believed would expand the universe at an accellerated rate instead of slowing down the expansion. It is a balancing force to the unvirsal gravity of object's mass. But, I don't believe in other universes like the String Theory suggests, because the String Theory is a strong attempt to make sense of the failed Cell Theory of Einstein's. Black holes are tears in the fabric of the universe and is said to be the only way we could ever reach the "end" of the universe, which is far more vast than most scientist can tell because of it's rippling effect and over lapping.

17. Maddad Time is a Weighty Problem Registered Senior Member

It may be helpful to keep in mind that dark matter is completely different from dark energy. It's unfortunate that their popular names are so closely related. We invoke dark matter to explain excess rotation speeds. We invoke dark energy to explain excess expansion of the universe.

18. Itseemstome Registered Senior Member

Q. E. D. It does seem that this theory describes our 15% very well for all the practical purposes that we have so far thought of. It does, of course contradict quantum theory, of which exactly the same could be said.

19. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

20. THC Registered Member

@ Blob: yeah i guess i meant dark Energy.

personally, i might not even bother thinking about other universes. "gravity from other universes, pulling ours apart" doesn't make enough sense to me. is it only at the 'edges' of our universe? is 1 part per gazillion of our universe actually another universe? or do you think that another universe is right outside of ours?

whatever..

and parallel universes.. if 'they' can count them, then i'd bet that they are just mathematical artifacts of things in our physical world.

also, i am a fan of matter constantly being created on the expanding edge of the universe. that could explain any missing weight also.

21. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    The other `universes`, if they exist, may actually be `here`.

Our universe may be like a page in a book; with other `pages` stacked on top.
    (<i>the `universes` in this case would be other dimensions…</i>), this could explain the missing weight…The extra mass is needed in the halos of galaxies and our milky way - and not just at the expanding `edge` of the universe.