Danish Cartoons: Inciting Hatred or Freedom of Speech

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DiamondHearts, Feb 19, 2006.

1. I don't know It's the pun police, run! Registered Senior Member

Female genital mutilation is not islamic, though a lot of people seem to think so, and to my knowledge, it's not practiced in any muslim countries outside of North Africa. It is pretty damn horrible, though.

- Well, no, but animals societies are, per definition, more natural than human ones. I.e. claiming that something animals do is "unnatural" is kind of silly

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- So how do you explain the fact that homosexuality exists all over the world, regardless of how socially accepted it is?

Here in Egypt, homosexuals have sometimes been beaten on the street, and it's socially unacceptable to the extent that several of my higher class egyptian friends refuse to believe it exists - yet an American friend of mine, who's homosexual, told me that there are many homosexuals here and that he's being hit on (more or less discretely) much more here than in the states.

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. davebehrens Registered Senior Member

Female circumcision is rooted in Islam. The proof may be found not in the Quran but in the Hadith. See here: (http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503545826) for a discussion by Islamic scholars.

Islam is the only Abrahamic religion that suggests female circumcision; no mention is made in the preceding documents, theTorah or the Bible, regarding this practice. Jews or Christians have never practiced female circumcision, only Muslims.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. I don't know It's the pun police, run! Registered Senior Member

From your link:

"It is common knowledge in Islam that if the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, had wanted female circumcision to be an integral aspect of religious practice in Islam the same way that male circumcision is, he would have said so clearly. Since he did not do so, we can safely assume it is not a prescribed ritual of Islam."

Seems reading comprehension problems is something that's going around here :l

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. davebehrens Registered Senior Member

From http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543886

"However, the most moderate opinion and the most likely one to be correct is in favor of practicing circumcision in the moderate Islamic way indicated in some of the Prophet's hadiths – even though such hadiths are not confirmed to be authentic. It is reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said to a midwife: "Reduce the size of the clitoris but do not exceed the limit, for that is better for her health and is preferred by husbands". The hadith indicates that circumcision is better for a woman's health and it enhances her conjugal relation with her husband. It’s noteworthy that the Prophet's saying "do not exceed the limit" means do not totally remove the clitoris."

8. Sci-Phenomena Reality is in the Minds Eye Registered Senior Member

The Danish Cartoons: Inciting Hatred THROUGH Freedom of Speech.

They lack in respect.

9. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Could be true; but you can also argue that the part of the islamic socity that cause riots and all that kinds of BS, lacks inside and respect for other types of cultures in this case Danish culture.

Further you can also argue that the elements causing this roits are not really repecenting islam but are only trying to reinforce there position with in a system of control(religion).

as a foodnote; I reasontly saw part of a documentary about muhammed, and i must say from what i saw i find it difficult to draw a parallel between todays muslims think of muhammed and what the historiens say he stood for and wanted to achive.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  10. I don't know It's the pun police, run! Registered Senior Member

11. davebehrens Registered Senior Member

Were the videos on MEMRITV.ORG, directed at young Muslim children, which show Christians and Jews turning into pigs and monkeys part of the intellectual debate you are talking about??? Or were they meant to inculcate into young Muslim minds a hatred for Christians and Jews?? It is much easier to butcher your enemy if you believe him to be sub-human, i.e. a pig or a monkey. I suppose these videos are just training suicide bombers. Tell me your opinion.

Why is there a large Islamic immigrant population in Europe?? Aren't Islamic countries, who generally control their press, more palatable for all those Muslims?? Why don't all the Islamic immigrants just leave Denmark?? That will show those filthy Danes!!!

How dare the evil free press in Europe and the USA show Muhammed (a large stone be upon him) in a bad light?? Didn't Ol' Muhammed consummate a marriage with a nine year old girl when he was fifty-seven?? Anyone who can do that can't be ALL bad, right?

Tangentially, it amuses me to wonder how the Muslim societies surrounding Israel that teach their children that the Jews of Israel are pigs and monkeys explain how and why those Jewish pigs and Jewish monkeys utterly destroyed all the surrounding Muslim armies at least four or five times in recent history. "But daddy, didn't the Jewish pigs and monkeys from Israel kick your ass when you were in the army?" How do you explain to little Muhammed that a Jew (a filthy pig or a filthy monkey Jew) kicked you ass?? Where do you get the chutzpah to be offended by a simple black and white, static cartoon while you are teaching your child in full color, full motion videos that Christians in America are pigs and monkeys??

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  12. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Another danish carton, this time form JP's counter part, politiken.dk

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Jesus: What kind of nails is that!? That's 7mm! Clearly you should be using rawlplugs! What kind of sloppy work is that, im telling you. It will never last more then a couple of Days!

Below picture : As a carpenter jesus had a bit of occupational pride

13. imaplanck. Banned Banned

lol

14. spacemansteve Not enough brain space Registered Senior Member

Finally i'm going to enter this debate.

So where's the outraged christians burning down the Danish embassy and burning US, Norwegian and Danish flags? Where is the rioting? why is there no controversy over this image?

As a catholic, i laughed at the image, pretty funny if you ask me.

The fundamental and sad difference between Islam and most other religions out there is tolerance. Christians see this "attack" (i use the word loosely) on their religion as simple comedy. Christians are mocked in every newspaper of the world and we simply laugh it off. Jews in many countires do the same with articles that insult their own religion.. etc etc.. Ofcourse there are those unhappy, but whats wrong with a simple letter to the editor that describes your disgust?

I'm really tempted to post a picture depicting mohammed in a defamatory way on here but won't because i'm afraid that i'll either be
    a) Banned for inciting racial hatred
    b) Have a molotov cocktail thrown at my house
    c) be beaten by muslims that are enraged by my pictures

but i'll gladly post an image that is derogatory to Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Taoists and an other religion out there. Reason being because i know the most i'll get is an angry letter.

Tolerance people, Tolerance.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hilarious cartoon! Funny how the punchline phrasing varies among languages, isn't it? I think in English one might have said "Occupational pride dies hard" or somesuch.

Anyway, excuse me: I must go burn some Lego and some embassies.