Culture Icons... R.I.P

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by R1D2, Aug 25, 2012.

1. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Whitney Huston R.I.P. may she always represent drugged out heroin actress singing her lungs out.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There's no evidence that she was a heroin user. The only drug that may have played a role in her death was cocaine, but considering that she died by drowning in a bathtub (obviously after losing consciousness) and cocaine is a stimulant, it's hard to put that scenario together. However, she had atherosclerotic heart disease (often caused by poor eating habits but also bad luck), which was strongly implicated in her death. Even if this condition isn't what killed her, it would have done so soon enough. She may have known that her days were numbered and was trying to make the most of the time she had left.

The only other drugs found in her system were Flexeril, (a rather benign medication for calming muscle spasms--I take a similar drug, orphenadrine), Xanax (a benzodiazepine like Valium, a class of medication used for treating anxiety and insomnia that's never killed anyone--even those who tried), Benadryl (an antihistamine for allergy sufferers that's been on the market for 65 years and is as safe as aspirin), and marijuana (arguably the least dangerous recreational drug on earth--it turns out that even the smoke is much less toxic than tobacco smoke).

She appears to have suffered from the conditions that bedevil many entertainers at their peak: anxiety, tension and not enough sleep.

People who use only coke, grass, and some quite innocuous prescription medications, are not the ones we refer to as "drugged out."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Balerion Banned Banned

This really sounds like a fan desperate to protect his favorite singer's image. The medical examiner's report says that the cocaine made her heart condition worse, for one, and contributed to her death. And Bobby Brown has said that Whitney used heroin, so there's certainly some reason to believe she used it.

On its own, it's benign. When mixed with cocaine and alcohol, however, it becomes a lethal ingredient.

Well, for one, that's not true. Alprazolam has killed plenty of people, though it is usually combined with other drugs to create the toxic combination.

Actually, marijuana smoke is more toxic than tobacco smoke.

She also had been doing these drugs--and more--for nearly 30 years.

You've never known a coke head, in that case. But to say Whitney hasn't been drugged out since the 80s is to live in denial.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm not a fan of Whitney or that entire genre of music. Like every singer she managed to crank out a couple of good ones, like "I'm Your Baby Tonight." I'm into Jann Arden and Lissie. I just saw Janis Ian a couple of months ago.

I'm just fed up to death with drug-bashers. You guys and the ridiculous laws you have lobbied your governments to enact have caused far more harm and grief than the drugs themselves could do in a billion years. The second-order effects of drug prohibition ALWAYS cause more harm than the drugs. Americans learned that in the 1920s, but my people have such a short memory that they've already forgotten and are doing the same dumb shit again with the same results, only worse. (If Americans actually had memories we'd be so ashamed of what we did to the Indians and the Africans that we'd probably all shoot ourselves.) Prohibition turned the city of Chicago into a war zone. My parents lived there then and the only thing those two knee-jerk Republicans praised FDR for was ending Prohibition and making the streets safe again. But this time the U.S. government has managed to off-load the Drug War to Mexico, where it's killing about 3,000 of their people EVERY YEAR. That's okay because Americans have never given a rat's ass about the fate of Mexico and its people.

So when people start blathering about celebrities killing themselves with drugs, I pull out all my guns. Back in my day celebrities like Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley managed to kill themselves with perfectly legal prescription drugs. If you're looking for a way to die, you won't ever have any trouble finding one.

Yeah fine. My grandfather sold cocaine and Heroin (a Bayer trademark until the end of WWI) in his pharmacy and none of his customers ever got in trouble with them. They got professional counseling and if he thought one of them was hitting it too hard he'd just tell their wife or mother next time she came in and that was the end of it. When you make people hide the things they do, and buy their stuff from career criminals who are by definition sociopaths who don't care about anyone, then nobody can help them.

You can say that about half the things in your local drugstore. If people could buy their drugs legally the pharmacist would warn them about possible interactions and the stuff would come with six pages of warnings and instructions.

Never heard of that one and I've had several benzodiazepine prescriptions for insomnia and other problems. Is it sold in the USA? There's one I haven't tried?

Where do you come up with this bullshit? It's recently been admitted that it is actually much less toxic than tobacco smoke. It turns out that it's not the smoke that kills people, it actually is the tobacco. Ten years ago I read about a 40-year study done in Jamaica, where it's easy to find thousands of people who smoke as much pot in a day as Americans do in a week. When they started to die (at the same age as people who didn't smoke) and they looked at their lungs, they found none of the damage that virtually cover the tissue in tobacco users' lungs. In fact they were very difficult to distinguish from the lungs of non-smokers.

Besides, (and this gives away the fact that you actually have no current knowledge of the drug scene and are just repeating the bullshit the cops told you in the D.A.R.E. program in the fourth grade) nobody with any sense smokes anymore. They all use vaporizers. It makes the pot last ten times as long, reducing the cost dramatically, because they're not setting it on fire and wasting most of it. And without the smell of the smoke they're not letting their neighbors know what they're doing in there. People who have money to burn just bake it into some sweet dessert and eat it. It takes much longer to take effect but it's said to be a much better high because when ingested you metabolize all of the active ingredients, whereas when you take it through your lungs quite a few of the chemicals are not absorbed and get exhaled right back out.

I've been drugged out since the 50s. My parents turned me on to caffeine when I was 12 and I've never been able to shake the habit. It's ruined my life at least three times and at least played a major role three more times. So don't start preaching your government-approved hysteria to me about "dangerous drugs."

Alcohol, tobacco and caffeine: these three drugs cause more harm than all the others put together. And they're all legal in most countries. In the USA we even advertise caffeine to children! Why the hell should children need an energy boost? What the hell are their lives going to be like in twenty years when they really start to slow down? I guess they'll all just start using cocaine.

The only reason the government has outlawed so many of these drugs is that the pharmaceutical industry doesn't want the competition. Why else would Obama be cracking down on medical marijuana, which isn't even controversial anymore? He's in the pocket of Big Pharma like all of them. Why let people medicate themselves with a weed or a flower or a leaf that grows wild, when they could be spending thousands of dollars on designer drugs which will probably be discovered to have extremely dangerous side effects in fifteen years?

When I see the government make it a crime to sell a drink containing caffeine to children under 18, come back and we'll talk then.

8. Chipz Banned Banned

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/PD21CBN6KkE[/video]

And we say goodbye to a legend.

9. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Goodbye Heath Ledger, look cool and smile while popping pills behind the closed curtains.

10. Balerion Banned Banned

This is where you get yourself in trouble. I'm anti-prohibition. You assume I'm in favor of the war on drugs simply because I don't subscribe to the myths you're propagating, but I guess you could call me a "New Age" legalization proponent; that is, I'm not going to pretend drugs aren't dangerous.

And your blindfold. And your lies.

I'll take "Senseless non-sequiturs" for $1000, Alex.

I understand that. I was responding to your absurd comment about the drugs in her system being benign. What you're essentially trying to say is that drugs played no role in her death because they could not possibly (hence references to these drugs as "benign") even though in combination they can be deadly.

Just shows how little you actually know about this subject. Alprazolam is Xanax. You'd think someone who claimed to be such an expert in the field would know that. But then, you also just said it's never killed anybody, which is a flat-out lie, so...

Been admitted by whom? And I love how you say "admitted" as if it's some great conspiracy. You out yourself as a loon with that kind of language.

You can keep your (likely fictitious) Jamaican study, and I'll stick to the recent and relevant ones, which all point out that there are more harmful chemicals in marijuana smoke than tobacco smoke. And this is besides the psychological and developmental damage the drug can do, particularly to teenagers.

A study published this summer stated that there doesn't seem to be any harmful effects to the health of the occasional pot smoker. Do you know what counts as "occasional" in that study? One or two times a month. You can't name one person you know who smokes that infrequently. I know I can't. In the real world, pot smokers toke daily, sometimes multiple times per day.

Show me one statistic saying that "they all use vaporizers." Please. Oh wait, you can't, because it's only a small portion of the smoking community that actually uses these devices. Most of the people who use, smoke. As for the benefits of vaporizers, who gives a shit? We're talking about the harmful effects of smoking weed.

So let me get this straight...people who use cocaine aren't the people we refer to as "drugged out," but people who use caffeine are? Typical druggie hypocritical bullshit.

Are you high right now? You're having a lot of trouble staying on-topic. I never argued that alcohol and tobacco aren't harmful. (I'd love to see something official about how caffeine has hurt more people than any hard drug, though. It seems another one of your invented "facts") I agree that they are. I also agree that marijuana should be legal. So should all hard drugs. But not because I hold some delusion that they're not harmful; the kind of fantasy crap you're spouting is no different than the people who say marijuana is a gateway drug that necessarily leads to heroin or somesuch. I think they should be legal because prohibition is ineffective. You know what else comes with legalization? A decrease in usage.

I hope you put a breadcrumb trail down so you can find your way back to the subject.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm sure another celebrity will die soon enough.

12. elte Valued Senior Member

Indeed, I call it cultural minimalism, in order to promote peace by removing the strife-causing differences that can be removed.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The cultural differences that cause the most strife are religions. Lots of luck removing them.

14. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Death is not kind...
    No reason to wink over a death..

And you have your wish.

Jenni Rivera Dead: Mexican-American Singer Dies In Plane Crash..
    Mexican-American singer Jenni Rivera is believed to have died Sunday in a plane crash in Mexico that left no survivors, HuffPost Voces reports...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/10/showbiz/mexico-singer-plane/index.html

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I guess you're right. Sorry.

I haven't heard of her. I'll have to check out her music.

16. elte Valued Senior Member

That is true, and after discussing it more, I see that it seems that in addition to that, and more importantly, all cultures have to be way more tolerant of other cultures.

17. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

18. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

12/24/12: Award winning actor, Charles Durning, died of unknown causes in his home in New York. Durning was known as one of the kings of character acting. He had roles in such films as "The Sting", "Tootsie" and "The Best Little Whore House in Texas". Most recently he starred in the hit TV show "Rescue Me". He was 89.

19. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I was shocked to see so many names so early in 2013. Some are repeats with different information. Please take your time and read over these. Some may be missed by there fans more than others. Mr Swartz may be missed by many here.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/lifestories/2013/01/notable_deaths_around_the_nati_10.html

http://fox8.com/tag/2013-notable-deaths/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz

20. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I am shocked no one has posted anything as of late.
    Like Mindy's Death.

21. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

They've had his obit penned for a couple of years, apparently his death was no surprise. Every few months somebody would manage to Google it accidentally and post it, thinking it had already happened.

His blockbuster was, and will always be, "White Lightning." In 1959, it was a song that completely bridged the gap between rock and country. There had always been a few artists who were welcome in both camps, but they were mostly balladeers like Johnny Cash, clowns like Homer & Jethro, or heartbreakers like Patsy Cline. George Jones broke down the barrier between the two genres with hot, fast, rebellious rock'n'roll.

Ironically, it was written by J.P. Richardson, an up-and-coming rock'n'roller who specialized in really silly songs and was known by his stage name "The Big Bopper." His only hit as a singer was "Chantilly Lace," because he died in the same plane crash as Buddy Holly and Richie Valens, in February 1959. He didn't live quite long enough to see George Jones's rendition of his song "White Lightning" hit #1.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Christine Joy "Chrissy" Amphlett (25 October 1954 – 21 April 2013). Lead singer of the Divinyls, an Australian rock band that achieved modest fame in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Her big hit was "I Touch Myself," a phrase which your grandparents used as a euphemism for masturbation.

A friend of mine won a karaoke contest by doing that song... in a chair, posing lewdly, and touching herself all over.

(She's a fabulous C-list professional singer, so she might have won anyway, but three years later everyone still remembers that one performance on that one night. She also starred as Kate Monster in a highly-praised local production of "Avenue Q," which required not just singing while dancing, which all theatrical performers have to do, but also operating a Muppet at the same time!)