'crystal' x-box

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by methylcellulose, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. methylcellulose Registered Senior Member

Yeah, so I want one of these, but they're only going to release them in Europe.
    'crystal x-box'
    Any idea on how to get my hands on one? Why doesn't Microsoft release any limited editions in the US?
    Japan has two now (white and blue) and Europe has already had the translucent green.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well you could ask someone to get one for you, but it would cost about $257 USD (Plus P&P/Insurance), however it's likely that some might sell them through the internet, perhaps even a few E-bayers.

If your really lucky you (well lucky to you, to those that don't care it wouldn't be luck), someone might offer one as a prize in a competition.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. methylcellulose Registered Senior Member

I guess I'll have to go the Ebay route. I had not thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion. $259 is a lot of money...it seemed fairly cheap when it was in Euros and pounds.

As for winning it in a competition...that relies on chance and skills I probably don't possess.

picture

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Does having clear plastic encasing the xbox really worth spending $70 more than one with black plastic? ....is the xbox even worth the base price of $180 to begin with?

Gimmicks to get money out of your pocket.

8. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

that definitely looks cool but does it do anything special or is it just the same as the others?

well, mine started skipping about 6 months after I got it and now it will only play about 5% of the disks I try. Presently it is acting as a very expensive doorstop in my bedroom.

9. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Same with my Nintendo Gamecube. It can play some games without trouble, but a majority of my games will lock up the Cube or not load properly. It'll cost $80 to send it to Nintendo to get it fixed, while the system costed $100 new. After I finished Zelda: Windwaker, I put my Cube in the closet and hooked Playstation(1) back up.

I'm still very content with my N64 and Playstation.

At least the xbox is big enough to hold doors as a doorstop. The Gamecube is only good for being a display stand; to put stuff on top of it.

10. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

Ya, if I send mine back it'll cost more than it's worth to repair. Someone recently told me that there is a 'do-it-yourself' way to fix the problem (replacing a chip or something, apparently this is a pretty common problem with x-box's) that's a lot cheaper. It'll invalidate the warrenty but at this point who cares? There might be a similar fix for you're cube.

Does anyone know anything about this x-box home repair possibility or web sites that have instructions? I guess I could wreck it if I try but it can't get much more useless than it already is. At the very least cracking it open will allow me to vent some anger on it.

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Can't help with the suggestion of how to fix it, but You should re-iterate the font to read X-Blox.

Cleaning the CD/DVD reader head to harshly can cause:
    * scratches
    * tracking alterations

The later tends to create a higher angle at which the lazer is tilted, which can mean that it doesn't read the data correctly, or the rebounded light isn't read at all as it doesn't hit the sensor.

It is possible to retrack the lens but it's totally dependant on if the producers of the CD/DVD drive have made it with "Disposable pieces", pieces you can't tweak and cause you to either send it back to be fixed or buy a new one.
    (Clever marketing strategy)

Also if your going to invalidate the warrantee, then you might as well look for what pieces of kit you can add to it (Like home made BIOS's etc)

If it turns out to be software related you could always try running X-linux

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.