Crucible of Creativity

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Magical Realist, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I've yet to attend one Burning Man festival. Have you ever been? It remains one of those continuously postponed bucket list items that gives my future an assuring structure. Maybe 2016 will be the year. I just missed the 2015 event. Will I bear up under the scalding heat, the wild scary atmosphere, the drug-taking triggers? It might just transform everything I thought I knew about society. Or about myself.

http://burningman.org/event/

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I have a friend (a lawyer in his 50's) who goes every couple of years. He does not liken it to Woodstock; it's closer to a Renaissance Faire, although considerably larger.

As for the heat, check the weather forecast before you leave. Surely by now you know your body well enough to decide whether a particular condition is tolerable.

As for the drugs, it's similar to a huge outdoor rock concert. There will be plenty available if you want some. But if you don't, I assume your vocabulary includes the phrase, "No, thanks." Nobody's going to knock you down, sit on you, and force you to take something you don't want.

Most of the people there are more-or-less respectable citizens like yourself. If someone bothers you all you have to do is yell and a couple of good folks will come running over to see what's wrong.

If you don't trust yourself to exercise good judgment in a venue like this, then you should work on that!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Good advice FR. I reviewed this survival guide and picked up a few tips. One thing they recommend is buying a cheap bike to get around on. It makes sense. I can't imagine treking the vast labrynthine stretch of it on foot. And you're right. The people there are good-natured and fun-loving. NOT the anarchist mutants one sees in the Road Warrior (fashion choices notwithstanding) lol!

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jul/29/sp-burning-man-festival-survival-guide

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.