Critique My Philosophy of Life?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Philosofer123, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Philosofer123 Registered Member

Over the past few years, I have formulated my philosophy of life, a 13-page Google Doc that may be found by Googling "Philo Sofer" and following the first link ("My Philosophy by Philo Sofer").

I would like to post the link directly, but as a new member I am not allowed to do so. Thank you for your understanding.

In the first half of the document, I present and defend the following positions: atheism, afterlife skepticism, free will impossibilism, moral skepticism, existential skepticism and negative hedonism. The second half of the document is devoted to ways to achieve and maintain peace of mind.

I have found the entire exercise to be very beneficial personally, and I hope that you will benefit from reading the document.

I am posting my philosophy to solicit feedback so that it may be improved. I welcome any constructive criticism that you may have.

Enjoy!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Number 9 Bus Shelter Registered Member

You could at least post the link

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Philosofer123 Registered Member

As a new member, I am unable to post links. This is the best I could do.

Thank you for your understanding.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mazulu Banned Banned

I'm sorry, but your synopsis does not move my heart or stir my soul. Your philosophy sounds anorexic. With this philosophy, you are vulnerable to depression.

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sorry, but as soon as I saw the bit about free will, I immediately stopped reading. If you do not believe in free will, there is nothing you have to say that would interest me in the least. (shrug)

9. Mazulu Banned Banned

I have to warn you that an atheist philosophy only works if your life is going well. But when life starts getting hard, either you'll convert to another philosophy/religion or you'll eat a bullet.

10. Mazulu Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This is what's wrong with atheism.

11. kx000 Valued Senior Member

You dont think we exist by free will? You think were pre determined, or manipulated even? Well I think the future is knowalbe, but I don't think anyone who knows the future has the abilitity or will to manipulate my actions.

If we don't have free will what force has made me descide to play with my little sister?

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I've never understood why people who reject freewill bother to go to any great lengths to discuss their philosophical ideas. I mean what do they hope to accomplish since any wholesale rejection or acceptance or indifference to their ideas is simply a consequence of the forces of predestiny.

13. Mazulu Banned Banned

Cuteness.

14. Number 9 Bus Shelter Registered Member

I agree with you. Life really is pointless, but hey, that's how stuff works. Some animals have better eyesight, others can run faster, others are big, and others are intelligent. Due to the intelligence we keep trying to find a point to everything

15. Mazulu Banned Banned

You have a point.

16. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Philosofer123, welcome to SciForums!

I Read your "document" and must compliment you on your presentation. You espouse some very interesting lines of thought and it is evident that you have spent quite a bit time perusing your personality and and no small amount designing and composing your... manifesto...I guess we could call it.

Most of it wanders quite astray of my own particular vector in this wondrous flight called life, and in some disciplines, (to be completely honest), it is diametrically opposed to my own.

That being said, my Biggest "critique" would have to be your stated non-conviction (comfort/certainty position).

Any lack of certainty can only serve to decrease ones ability to maintain focus. So maybe what might be an idea, a leaning towards or any otherwise still alterable contemplative path, would/could more accurately be described as a viewpoint or perspective on life.
    An established Philosophy of Life is not simply a rough outline or a sort of broad guideline with no strict disciplinary adherence.

Is it not true that to fail to follow precisely ones stated Philosophy, or to be able to be diverted or re-oriented while meandering this path of life - one may not be in possession of a true Philosophy quite yet -but possibly still be a dreamer, or worst case scenario, even a hypocrite?

Philosofer123, I hope you do not interpret my "Critique" in any way other than an honest and sincere consideration of your Posted .pdf, which is what is my intention in Posting this reply is.

Philosofer123, once again, welcome to SciForums and I hope that your explorations of these varied threads bring enjoyment and peace.

Happy Holidays!

17. Philosofer123 Registered Member

Thank you for the warm welcome, DMOE. Happy Holidays to you as well.

While I am comfortable with my philosophical positions and strive to live my philosophy, I do not believe that absolute certainty can be achieved. This does not make me a dreamer or hypocrite, but simply a realist.

I look forward to any more specific comments that you may have.

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Evolution != (Not Equal) Atheism

Evolution is a theory (which has practical evidence to support it) about how life continues, atheism isn't "Just" evolution, if you think that they are both the same then you are completely misguided.

and why would you post a picture from the Church of Emo?

19. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Everyday I learn something new that , at times, changes my philosophy about life. There are many philosophers who wrote about their views and many of them were completely different than the others. To have a philosophy that does not allow for changes is a futile effort in trying to hold onto them.

Their is something that is certain, we will all eventually die a physical death.

The Chinese do not have a religion yet they have been a people who for over 5000 years existed and keep on multiplying.

20. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Philosofer, when I read "...any more specific comments...", I was not sure how exactly to interpret the meaning. So I thought it best to ask you - I, dmoe, prefer not to make "assumptions", so...

a.) - Are you looking forward to "more" specific comments from me? Alluding to you possibly perceiving/thinking/feeling that the comments in my reply to your requested "critique" were intended by myself to be "specific"?

Philosofer123, my "critique" was intended as an open, honest consideration of your .pdf. Consideration - open and honest, yes - but only a consideration.
    We seem to be of a similar chronological age or generation, so, if I may, I will use automobiles as a sort of metaphor.
    If a new or different or classic model catches my eye, or, as in this case, is pointed out to me - I engage in "checking it out". I look at the styling, features, performance, engineering, workmanship...etc. I consider its true essence as an automobile. As such was my "consideration of your Philosophy".
    However, if I were to be in the market to purchase a new or different automobile - I go well beyond just "checking it out", and look at each aspect much more intently, as well as including many more aspects : utility, suitability, ergonomics, cost of ownership/maintenance/repair...etc. When looking to own, I become very "specific". As I was not in the market for a new or different "philosophy", I did nothing more than make a "consideration of your Philosophy".

b.) - Are you looking forward to me,dmoe, being "more specific" with my future comments?

Philosofer123, I will Post the "more specific" type of comments when I am asked to be specific or more specific.

I only responded with "constructive criticism" as was requested. It was, and still is NOT MY INTENTION to provide "destructive criticism" in any way, shape or form!

I mentioned that your "Philosophy" was quite unlike my own - not worse, not better...just different.

In retrospect, I may have been better understood, if I had stated : "my Only Critique" instead of "my Biggest Critique".

The aforementioned "my Only Critique", appeared in my "consideration" due to the fact that it was stated so prominently and early on in your .pdf.
    I mentioned it in my honest and sincere consideration of your .pdf - only to be considered - not something that was "specifically" wrong or abhorrent or in dire need of change - merely something to consider.

Okay, Philosofer123. Diatribe finished! I must admit that I, dmoe, also think of myself as a realist - though quite a number of people often use more "colorful" terms to describe me.

I will close with two paraphrased quotes from the comedian/actor/satirist Robin Williams (I am quite sure you remember "Mork and Mindy!) :
    - "Reality...Ahh, what a concept!"
    - "Reality is for people who can't handle drugs!"

Later.

21. suomynona Registered Member

@Mazulu

I couldn't quote you as this is my first post… but I'm referring to posts 6 & 7.

Let me ask you a question. If religion were to never exist in the first place would we be asking ourselves what happens in the afterlife? Or would we all concur on what seems to be the only logical conclusion (at least in my eyes) to what happens after death: nothingness.

Or is it what's right with atheism? And as for the post above the one I quoted that simply is not true, although atheists do have the highest suicide rate in comparison with religious affiliates. As a staunch atheist, and as a man who has experienced his fair share of bullshit in life, I have yet to eat a bullet and have yet to convert.

22. IDontWantMyUsername Registered Member

I am afraid your logic here is backwards: Religion is a consequence of asking ourselves what happens when we die. From this, I would even go as far as to say that the thought of a society that hasn't considered any form of spiritual idea when met with such a question seems even stranger than the thought of one that has done so.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  23. Mathers2013 Banned Banned

Depression? I've considered a similar concept but I have (not fully) concluded that perhaps the void that exists within the mind that causes depression is simply nothing in a state of deacreasement (if that's a word.)