Criticise, quick.

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by whitewolf, Nov 13, 2004.

1. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

genboring: Hey look, click tack tack wiggle wiggle wiggle. Need to draw a hand? No problem!! Click tack tack- .gif, .jpg, swoosh. Need a face? Coming right up! Click, tak, tap- .img, .tif, .ico wiggle. Your the amateur with the photoshop doing everything for you.

Right. And you dabble with your keyboard and try doing Jean Genet and Nieztsche for your juvenile delinquent coterie. Is your extent of photoshop merely the camouflaging of your background? Stupid bitch.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Adnroid:
    "Rythym and flow" in what?
    Leaves and little black people copy pasted by computer software?
    Would you find rhythm and flow in a fortune cookie?
    A neon sign?
    A commercial or a t-shirt?

Non-sequitor.

*edit*
    Jean Genet, my dear, is a pubic fly. Worship him.
    Nietzsche is my godfather. Worship him.

See? "Genboring", you're not even creative enough for "Gendandruff"
    Stick to photoshop, amaturd.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2004
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

That's a bit cruel, idn't it?

Zing . . .

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

"That's a bit cruel, idn't it?"

Cruel would be if I tracked whitewolf down, restrained her, then spent hours slicing 1 inch strips of flesh off her face with an exacto knife until I stripped her face to the muscle. Her family would watch, of course.

That's just a criticism.

What is cruel is calling gendanken, "genboring". That is a very hurtful thing to call her.

8. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

How many friends do ya have?

Nothing. The comment of cruelty was directed at yer criticism of whitewolf's pics.

I merely said "Zing . . .".

9. pixel Registered Senior Member

Oh my GAWD I just laughed out loud for like 5 minutes reading this thread!!!!!!!!!

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

An old line comes to mind. A madman uses his genius destructively while a genius uses his madness constructively. Now, while this only applies to certain types of madmen, I think that it applies well to most geniuses. Well, the creative genius. I suppose some geniuses are genius in name only.

It is madness which inspires man to push the bounds of reality and go beyond that which was laid out as 'normal' and 'sane' by his forefathers and peers. A creative genius is lambasted (usually) in life and only upon later consideration do the 'norms' come to the realization that greatness was in their midst and once more was shunned by those filled with the need to conform.

Like, oh my gawd, you're getting so old so fast that I'm like totally spinning here.

Isn't there a pokemon or a cosmo forum somewhere that might interest you?

11. Roman Banned Banned

I think she's five years older than you, mate.

12. pixel Registered Senior Member

Invert, REALLY?? You mean it?? Could you help me find these places? Could you hold my hand, too? I'm just so young and inexperienced, and take these things so seriously, maybe a more mature person like yourself could school me on how to conduct myself in public forums? :bugeye:

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Age is irrelevant. It's about personality and attitude. That's why I threw in the pokemon or cosmo catch. Young or old she has a forum which would suit her.

Sure. Try saying something on topic and interesting. You know something? I am becoming acerbic. I used to be friendly with chatty posters, now I view them as a waste of bandwidth and time.

14. pixel Registered Senior Member

Well hmm. How much would you charge to teach me some "personality and attitude"? 'Cause you are clearly light years ahead of me. *Takes out wallet*

15. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

The last two. The leaves need structure. They seem to be floating in space...maybe add some stems which disappear off of the page to give them a sense of space and tangible quality. Also, IMO, the colors are boring. I understand you're imitating nature's pallate but nature's colors don't have to be so boring. You need more colors and maybe even try a less realistic approach. Try to make nature very loose and flexible like the shadow spirits.

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ha! You see, that's the problem right there. I speak of personality and attitude and you immediately think that I'm saying that I have it whereas you don't. On the contrary, you have personality and attitude and I cannot teach you mine. All I can do is judge your personality and your attitude from the posts that I have seen you make and I have done so.

As I say, I have become a bit acerbic in my old age and this is none of my business and I'll just butt the fuck out. But what you don't realise is that while you are cruising about feasting on the wit of this place, you are a symptom of it's pitfalls. Instead of 'intelligent conversation' we get 'witty chat' (or not so witty at times, not saying that you aren't witty, but there are those who are not, myself included... perhaps...). Granted this thread is not exactly intellectual and as long as you keep your chat to chatty threads I shouldn't bitch. And perhaps I'm judging a bit too soon and too harshly. But, I'm feeling a bit grumpy over the slump this place is in lately and am taking it out on you (and a couple others here and there.) Normally, I'm not so acerbic, but the romance I once felt for this place is dying and it's somewhat sad and embittering.

Anyway, back to topic: I agree with Gendanken, I don't like the photoshop quality. Can you use painter? While it doesn't have quite the same feel as real paint and canvas, it comes close. And it's getting better.

Also, to Gendanken, I recall that these pictures (at least one of them, the one with the upraised glass) began as a hand-drawn picture. So, it's not all copy-and-paste. I suspect that this is the 'look' that it is supposed to have. Somewhat hokey. Like South Park.

As to which is best... Hmmm. I don't really like them. But, if I had to choose, I'd go with number two because of the tree. I like the textures. It's a bit simple yet, but it is more alive than the others. More interesting. But, the shadows are all kinda... hmm.

Edit: The grass is nice in #2 as well. The grass and the trees are the best things you have there.

17. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I repeat again. It is NOT Photoshop. It is Illustrator. I can NOT use another app., because it is a class that teaches Illustrator (which implies that I can not hand-paint it). No, it does not match what I wanted to make out of it, because the app. still is too limiting

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That's Adobe's shortcoming. All you see there was drawn out by my hand, using the wacom tablet. ALL you see there is MY art, it was not copied from any place else. Originally, there were pencil sketches that were scanned and TRACED with the pen tool and colored in. If you wish to participate in a conversation, at least read what the starter of the thread says!

I agree, the colors don't make me happy and they did get altered somehow in the process of conversion into jpeg.... I see gray where I didn't put it.... Perhaps a mistake somewhere, but that's too much headache at this point. I'm considering making the last plate something else. Thanks for the input!

18. pixel Registered Senior Member

Oh for God's sake, Invert. I have all this work to do, and you went and made this personal, and now I'm drawn to it. Ffffffffffff.

With regard to the "chatter"... When I first got here, I could tell the place was in a tiny bit of a slump. It happens. It can't be all fusion and supernovae and ubermental all the time. Still, I can tell most people around here are brighter than average. And sometimes funnier. So the stupid stuff is extra funny, to me.

I personally cannot f*ing stand people who take everything dead seriously all the time, like the intellectual (or pseudo-intellectual) banter is all business, all make-or-break the world... Sometimes you have to blow off some steam with light banter, and it's too bad that this offends some individuals (such as yourself, apparently). It seems you took offense to the very fact I mentioned that I "laughed for 5 minutes". Sometimes in life, you just gotta lighten up. And yes, I've noticed your pissed off notes to others. No worries.

Are we done?

Anywho. At least he didn't use Photoshop filters or anything. And I still maintain that the figures are eerie, regardless of the surrounding foliage, which acts as a bit of a foil, in fact. I still like them.

19. pixel Registered Senior Member

Whitewolf, I cannot stand CGI, and I can tell you honestly that I've studied CG and have seen LOTS of stuff, and yours has impressed me more than most of the stuff I've seen. It's not easy to produce something that "moves" with any program -- Illustrator, Photoshop, or otherwise.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

This is not really my prefered style. For each his//her own.
    I liked the pencil sketches better.

21. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Me too

. Painter will be taught next semester, I suspect. That's when I'll breathe.

I'll go on and rant about the app. So, there's this blur effect. Well, considering the professional level of Illustrator's latest version, you'd expect to be able to control how much blur to put in a specific area, and put more blur on one side of the object and less on the other, etc. But no. I had to break the damn thingies into separate shapes and then alter the shapes so that they'd overlap correctly! Adobe is a bunch of idiots. Maybe I should message them.

22. pixel Registered Senior Member

Whitewolf, isn't there a way to gradate the blur -- so it's more pronounced in a certain direction? You can specify the length and intensity of the blur within a block. I'm pretty sure you can do this in CorelDraw.

If you did it in pieces -- then, wow, you did a great job.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think they may have set up hatemail filters

I think every big company except Google needs one
    especially Interplay!! the bastards!