Critical Thinking Class

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Russ723, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Russ723 Relatively Hairless Ape Registered Senior Member

How about a required high school Critical Thinking class in the U.S?

Skepticism class (couldn't call it that tho).

A class covering logic, psychological principals (explaining deja vu, and various bullshit), visual illusions etc.....

Get the general idea?

Suggestions?

Obstacles?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Many special interest groups in the U.S. rely on the lack of critical thinking skills for their own success. These groups include:

Politicians
    Religions
    Advertisers
    News Media

Well, do I really need to make this list any longer? Right there we've got enough power to stop anything.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

How about high school IS what makes so many kids idiots today? I know, i just graduated last year and I'm still trying to outrun my own idiocy.

The whole system is screwed, you don't really learn anything. Let them loose in the woods and they'll learn more about logic and life than messing up their backs with sitting for 7 hours a day and having so much of nothing shoved down their throats. Harsh, but change is drastically needed here...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Russ723 Relatively Hairless Ape Registered Senior Member

I think we need to do a little creative advertising of our own.

There must be some way to create interest in such a program, I mean we can market as well as the next guy.

We could not identify ourselves with controversy, atheism etc......

It isn't like we couldn't get money, there are secular billonaires.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

An excellent idea, Russ!

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Obstacles? Oh, geez, sure .....money! Most, if not all, of the public schools in the US are drastically underfunded as it is, yet you want to add more to their burden. If they can't afford the system they now have, how can they afford to teach more?

Obstacles? Oh, sure! How 'bout the fact that what the schools are teaching now isn't sinking into the brains of many of the students! Many kids graduate and can barely read above elementary level. They can't teach what's required now, yet you want them to teach more?

Baron Max

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No need to teach more. Just swap the critical thinking course for one of the other, less useful courses.

Maybe it's not sinking in because the students haven't been taught to think critically!