Crippled 'Superman' Reeve Blames Church and Bush

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by goofyfish, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Giskard brainious maximus Registered Senior Member

Walker:
    "Maybe he's not a philanthropist, but what he's doing isn't wrong. Besides, maybe it'll benefit others along the way."

Maybe so, I just resent the way he is treated as a hero. Hell, he fell off his horse, broke his neck and is now crippled. I dare to say many others have suffered the same fate but because he was rich and famous the average joe now worships him for his courage. He never gave a damn about those people as long as he was healthy, now it's "woe is me".

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Hey Kreskin... how do you know he "never gave a damn"?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John MacNeil Registered Senior Member

If there is something about the physical body that must be learned from stem cell research, then they would be fools to not investigate. If there was an oversight committee that ensured they didn't proceed beyond practicable experimentation and investigation, then the moral objection to create a lifeform to learn from it should be waived until such time as the pertinent knowledge is gained.

What I find really strange is that the government has banned stem cell research and yet allows the killing of womb dependant children. If they recognize that zygotes are children, how do they fail to recognize that embryos are children? It seems to me that the government is lacking in moral leadership. You see the same kind of distortionist policies throughout. They allow the most addictive, carcinogenic smoking product on the planet to be sold everywhere, but outlaw a non-addictive smoking product. You see the same kind of backwards policy regarding womb-dependant children and zygotes. Maybe we should be requiring politicians to have at least a B average before they can be elected.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Alright, I'll agree that this ordeal doesn't make him Mister Wonderful, and that the media phenomenon surrounding him is pretty obnoxious. But I'm not prepared to make the judgement that he never gave a damn about people in pain or need before he was hurt. We have no evidence to show that he was any kind of bastard.

8. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I say live and let live. I would let yo ucome to me asking questions, but you might not know to do so, so an active program to inform people of our beliefs is in use. We call them missionaries. They show up at your door wearing suits and nametags saying "Elder John" and the name of our church, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." Other than that...

I have often found myself doing that. I don't consider something until it affects me or someone in a position where I can see the affect.

9. Giskard brainious maximus Registered Senior Member

goofyfish:
    "Hey Kreskin... how do you know he "never gave a damn"?

Since he has never mentioned or addressed this til now.

Those in favor of embryonic stem cell research in California have just trotted Reeve out in front of the cameras again! Does anyone else feel it is wrong to create a life just to harvest the cells from it? Doesn't a life have it's own right to live no matter how it is created? Or are the creators of that life it's god?

10. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Again we see the issue of when life starts. Perhaps if the cloned the stem cells from the person being treated?

11. Giskard brainious maximus Registered Senior Member

Gifted:
    " Perhaps if the cloned the stem cells from the person being treated?"

Not a bad idea, but my aregument is with embryonic stem cell harvesting where the embryo is killed without it's permission.

12. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

That was my point. How do you KNOW he has never mentioned
    it, unless you're hangin' with him and we don't know about it?

By the way, I came across the website you
    put up in protest to his previous callousness.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Reeves is cool. I saw him do an interview on TV once, and he mentioned that he was volunteering to be a human guineapig for drug trials. After all, it's not like the drugs would ruin the bit they would affect, his spine. If he's willing to put his own body into the matter like that, good on him.

Ah, yep, read some of that website, its author is a wanker.

14. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Some human behavior is completely alien to me.

Can I denounce my species?

15. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

WHen someone(like the IRS

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) asks your race, put other, and if there's a blank, write in whatever you like.

16. prozak Banned Banned

These idiots can't stop thinking in terms of individuals.

They need more death.