Crimea today

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by orcot, May 24, 2015.

1. orcot Valued Senior Member

Does anyone have some decend sources how the economy of Crimea is doing today?
    Prefereably in english.
    from what I can find. Crimea's largest revenu source agriculture will get 17.7 million liters of water even tough they asked for 317,7 million (in comparison ukraine's canal delivered 750 million liters in the past).
    I also can't find promo campaigns to travel to crimea like last year. (this might in a large part be to my small understanding of the russian language). But then again I could find a lot of promo's for Greece, inside Russia itself, Latvia, Belarus and servia. So that doesn't sounds promising

http://krymedia.ru/agriculture/3379...shenyia-krym-poluchyt-177-mln-kubometrov-vody

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It is much too early to expect such information to be available. Crimea was severed from the Ukraine, which destroyed its banking system as well as its civil government. It is now in the process of being annexed to Russia, which will require connecting its economy, government, educational system, banking system, postal service, etc., to the Russian equivalents. The Russian institutions are not very efficient, so this will not be easy.

Moreover, Crimea has a large population of ethnic Russians. Now that Russia controls the region, the Ukrainian bureaucracies and businesses will be turned over to people of Russian ancestry and their operations will have to be modified to be compatible with the Russian ways of doing business. There will be considerable chaos, as the Ukrainian people who have devoted much time and capital to building a robust economy are f0rced to watch the inept Russians ruin everything.

I would not expect anything close to normalcy in Crimea within the next two years. During the interim, I would not recommend visiting the region.
    You may be able to find information in Russian or Ukrainian, and possibly in German. I would not expect anyone to bother translating it into English, since it's unlikely that any people from the USA or the U.K. would want to go there and take the risks.
    Russia's economy is very inefficient because of graft, corruption and sheer incompetence.
    As I said, Crimea is in chaos, and will probably remain in that condition for at least two more years. No travel agency will be willing to take the risk of bringing tourists to such a location.

It is not safe! You might as well book a vacation in Afghanistan or Syria!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orcot Valued Senior Member

It's a conflict zone but so is for example Israel. Comparing it to Afghanistan and Syria is unfair I think. It is and remains a tourist destination

The water issue has nothing to do with that It's the main reason why Crimea belongs to Ukraine, they are able to provide water trough Canals from the Mainland. The pumps can not compensate for Crimea's main economy agriculture. And I heard some use seawater to water their crops (if true, that's a bad idea because of the salt and Odd because a farmer should know this).
    The second source of revenu is toerism usually it's 2/3 Ukrainians but now obviously not. Last year Russia did considerble efforts to attract Russian vacationers and got 2/3 of the normal tourism. The thing is that was widely publicized. I don't see that this year.
    Considering basic goods are now much more expensive because they have to cross a border or have to be shipped in I'm curious how it works

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.