Crime and Punishment

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by KilljoyKlown, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I would have bet the farm on your response.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But I didn't have any takers.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

About as predictable as a sunrise...:shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. birch Valued Senior Member

of course they do. otherwise, they would just openly tell others what they are doing or not hide it. making mental justifications has nothing to do with knowing you are doing something illegal or wrong. a person can very well know that what they are doing is wrong but because they gain or get pleasure from it, they will do it if they can get away with it or think they can.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Despite what you said, that punishment is so bad, I have trouble believing anyone that knew about it would take any chance of being caught.

You would always be counting the days until your next lashing. Talk about having a nasty short timers attitude four times a year for 13 years. If anything it would only get worse with time.

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

The way his kid lived in terror until the next time...

9. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

They know it's illegal. They know it's frowned on.
    But a lot of abusers make themselves believe the child wants what they want.
    http://www.allaboutcounseling.com/sexual_abuse.htm
    However, according to the table of information cited from a survey below, apparently you are quite correct, Birch.
    They do know it is wrong.
    Apparently it's the serial pedophiles who convince themselves it's not wrong.

http://www.child-abuse-effects.com/incestuous-sex-offenders.html

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You are making 2 big mistakes:

1. You are assuming the big part of the 3 billion is high priced item, although I bet it is mostly $5, $10 $20. They put a clothes on and walk out in it and such.

2. You think that a huge organization cares about a relative small item in their budget, namely theft. It is the cost of business for them. They don't want the bad publicity, what would come with prosecuting small time theft.Also (we can assume) the thieves still shop there, so they are making profits on them...

EVERY retailer has to deal with theft. They just build it into the price (just like CC companies do it with CC fraud), it costs them less time and energy.

Think of it as a grocery store throwing away then spoiled and unsellable fruits and vegetables. It is the cost of doing business....

11. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

free tv anyone?

Walk in and buy the tv you want. Take the sticker the store puts on it. Load tv into car. Walk back in and put the sticker on the same tv.

Go return it.

12. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Truthfully I have no idea what the child was feeling, but I do know she will be damaged for the rest of her life. There's almost nothing worse than a parent doing that to their own kids. But the only reason to justify a sentence of torture would be as a deterrent to others.

In his culture do we have any evidence to support the deterrent effect of this sentence?

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes it is a cost of doing business. But it doesn't hurt if you can cut down on some of those losses.

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I'm sure they've already fixed that problem?

Do you know anyone that has done it recently?

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Whatever the gentleman says.
    (Sticks with happy shiny picture of own dad getting 40 lashes. Over, and over, and over....

)

16. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Nope, but about a year ago some guy asked my buddy to return stuff onto a wallmart card "for" him.

I suspect something might have been stolen.

My buddy returned the stuff and got a card. He grabbed an empty card as well and gave that guy the empty one.

I thought it was pretty funny.

17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

One things for sure, after your buddy gave the guy an empty card, it was stolen stuff. That's the kind of thing that might come back and bite you, when you least expect it.

18. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Where retribution is concerned, as in crime and punishment, only persons whose logic center is working correctly can process this concept of cause and effect.

What I find most alarming is that many people do not think along these lines, their brains are wired entirely differently and they may lack the capacity of empathy for others.

There is NO deterrent that registers with them, hence the reason why such are ineffective in preventing their actions.

19. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

If that's true, why not just execute him, and be done with it? It seems to me the torture only really serves to gratify the victim if it doesn't serve to deter others from doing the crime. What do you think this guy is going to be like when his sentence is up and they let him out?

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.