Crime and Punishment

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by KilljoyKlown, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I decided to start a new thread after Fragle posted the following in the Narcissism topic.

I did some searches on how many people steal and found this comment about Walmart.

I then wanted to know how much loss do to theft Walmart reported last year and found the following information.

I now have to ask how does one walk out of a Walmart with a large flat screen TV without paying for it? Even if Walmart doesn't consider 3 billion dollars a year as something to worry about. That's a lot of people getting away with some major new stuff.

I've been using Walmart as an example, but if we were to extend that percentage of theft to other businesses across the U.S. the total has to be really massive. So much so that I wonder how much of my income goes to support those thieves in the form of higher prices and taxes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I think on average, walmart pulls in something around $800 billion per year. $3 billion isn't even a cough. It would probably cost them more to take preventative measures than it would to just let the stuff go.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. birch Valued Senior Member

is this a joke?

that 3 billion doesn't even include the loss and damage from return products as well as just leftover stock. they also throw away billions in products per year which is way, way more than the three billion change. not only do they throw it away but destroy it instead of giving it to charity or put to use, though some do. the amount of waste is apalling.

this doesn't just apply to walmart but to most businesses.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

The reason they don't go after petty theft also has something to do with why I never, ever want to work retail security...lawsuit city.

I would not work as a loss prevention officer without carrying legal liability insurance, I would not make much more money, if any more at all... and I would get to put up with all sorts of iffy situations, petty crap and intra-employee politics...

No. Uh-uh.

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Maybe but 3 billion is nothing to sneer at. I would think that much of that loss is caused by thieving employees and catching and getting rid of thieving employees should always be a priority. Especially those greeters looking to supplement their income by letting the big stuff get out of the store.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Your probably right, but I just wanted to focus on criminal activity. Most mismanagement doesn't qualify as criminal unless people get hurt and even then not real likely.

10. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I've worked in a lot of retail environments. At a managers training seminar, they had a class on loss prevention. They taught that out of 10 employees, eight will steal from you if they see a chance to do so with no risk of getting caught. one will absolutely steal from you, even if they risk of getting caught is high, and only one will absolutely not steal from you at all.

Again, the cost of prevention is probably higher than just letting a few things go...

11. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Ah! But some of the highest paid jobs are in resolving trouble. The bigger the trouble the more you get paid to resolve it. If the companies want to fix their problems they have to pay the people that can do it for them.

12. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well I would say install lots of hard to detect cameras and let the employees know and then concentrate on getting rid of the one that will absolutely steal from you, and make it a public example to the rest of the employees.

13. birch Valued Senior Member

and this shouldn't surprise anyone with any self-honesty about people. most are sociopaths. if they weren't, there wouldn't need to be laws.

14. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

It's not a resolvable trouble. It's chronic, unsolvable, and laden with potential to get the guard sued.

I'd rather do security in an ER and get barfed on, thanks.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Anything can be solved all it takes is time and money. How much is anyone going to pay to insure they won't get anything stolen from them is the real question. If adequate security measures are put in place, that's allot of money that will be needed in many cases, then the business won't worry about theft. As an example in some retail jewelry stores they have two large, unbreakable bullet proof security doors that allow a person to enter into the first area then they shut the first door while the second one is still locked , then they open the second one to let the customer into the store. Going out is just reversed.All jewelry is encased in a locked, break proof glass display cases and only the owner can make a sale, there's no other employees other than family members.

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I suppose before you start a business, you must consider where your losses are going to come from. For instance, if you sell cars, theft might not be much of a worry, but various types of employee fraud might be a bigger concern. It always seems to come back to managing your employees and keeping a fairly tight control over them.

I haven't really been aware of businesses having to pay protection money much anymore. But we do have a serious gang problem in the U.S. and gangs do like to collect protection money from businesses in their territory. So I would guess the businesses don't report the problem much if they want to stay healthy?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I just saw the following news article and think I know how most will respond to my question.

Q - Do you think this was a fair punishment for the crime, and would you like to see something like that in the U.S.?

2,080 lashes for Saudi man who raped daughter

By The Associated Press

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- An official Saudi newspaper says a man convicted of raping his daughter has been sentenced to receive 2,080 lashes over the course of a 13-year prison term.

The court in the holy city of Mecca found the man guilty of raping his teenage daughter for seven years while under the influence of drugs.

The Okaz newspaper reported Saturday that the man will receive the lashes in stages throughout his prison sentence. The man's name was not published.

Saudi religious police say the girl's uncle tipped them off to the crime.

Lashing is one of the penalties available to the clerics who serve as judges in Saudi Arabia and issue rulings according to the kingdom's strict interpretation of Islamic law.

18. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Crime and punishment......attempting to balance one against the other is no easy matter, in some cases.

Where simple material property is concerned, business has wisely decided to deal with 'shrink' from whatever the cause, as a necessary operating expense and to budget accordingly. It's all just numbers on a balance sheet and strategies to reduce same will only be considered if they can demonstrably improve the balance sheet with the cost of implementation factored. Deterrents do not seem to work with some people, while the shrink due to 'operational difficulties' is as often human error as mechanical failure.

Once you shift the scene to intentional crimes against a person, no matter what influence under, the aspect of punishment gets a great deal more scrutiny. As I do not live in the U.S., I leave comment on your question to others.

19. elte Valued Senior Member

Considering all aspects of crime and crime prevention, I estimate the cost in terms of materials and person-hours as high as 2 trillion dollars per year just for the U.S. That includes dealing with keys for various types of locks, dealing with security systems, security measures for finances, computers, etc. Just the general drag on our minds from staying conscious of threats takes a big toll on productivity. It involves having to remember bank account numbers, secret question answers, numerous passwords, and PINs. Then there is lost opportunity cost from people who avoid doing productive things that they would normally do. Our activity is hindered by security measures for half of each day, more or less.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  20. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I'm sure you have an opinion on that type of punishment. I did a quick calculation and over 13 years that would come to 13.3 lashes per month, 26.6 every 2 months or 40 lashes every 3 months. If we are to assume the lashes leave bloody welts, I think 3 months would be needed to heal each period of lashings. Can you imagine how bad that 13 years of incarceration is going to be. It's utterly horrifying and yet when you consider he was a drugged out parent who raped his child repeatedly over a period of 7 years. While it's hard to have much sympathy for that man, I have to wonder if he knew what kind of punishment he would get if he got caught, and why didn't that deter him?

21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

You make a very good point. But did that 2 trillion a year include the very large infrastructure we in the U.S. have for dealing with crime and criminals when convicted. The large police force, the large numbers of lawyers and judges and other supporting personnel for processing the criminals. All the prison facilities for housing and feeding them for however long? The lost productivity is staggering.

22. elte Valued Senior Member

You are so right! I wrote this before I saw your reply: I forgot to mention the cost of police forces, court systems, prisons, parole programs, and home incarcerations that are implemented to fight domestic crime, as well as the armed forces needed to curtail crime between nation states. The cost of crime and crime prevention is flat-out humongous.

The two trillion dollar U.S. cost is probably low because it is hard to imagine just how crime and its prevention pervades just about every facet of our lives. I estimate that I put out a couple hundred dollars worth of labor per year just messing with my bicycle lock, twice, every time I use the bike.

All that is before even considering property loss and how that can really put a drag on living. Hassle has to be endured to repair and replace, and the lost time and trouble before that even gets done can get very inhibitive.

23. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Because he didn't think he'd get caught, of course. Probably didn't think he was doing anything wrong anyway, child rapists don't see what they are doing as wrong...they make all sorts of interesting mental justifications.

My thought? Wow, that's an appropriate punishment!
    Would enjoy seeing my dad take 40 lashes on a trimonthly basis. I'd want to record it.
    So the next time a panic attack or a flashback makes me cry and shake like a leaf...I have a nice video to play that makes me feel soooo much better.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.