Creating Deaf Children

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by goofyfish, Apr 8, 2002.

1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Candy McCullough and Sharon Duchesneau of North Bethesda, Md. said they did everything possible to make sure their newborn son is deaf by specifically seeking and obtaining a sperm donor for artificial insemination who has a lengthy family history of deafness. (Washington Post Article here) They have a preference (which you may or may not agree with) and they are in a rare position where they can choose in a way that sways the odds towards their preference.

Let's ignore the fact they are lesbians because it has no bearing on this issue. What do you think of the efforts to create a deaf child? I consider it disturbing. I can't imagine what might be going through these people's heads that they'd seek to give their child a disability. I would think that any parent worthy of the name would wish for every advantage possible for that child, and do their best to insure they got it.

On the other hand, people do it all the time. Lots of black people choose black sperm donors. Now, being black can be considered a disadvantage in American society. It sets you up for the possibilities of racism, a harder time in the workforce, and can lead to problems finding a mate. Does that mean that these parents are irresponsible because they want a black baby? Should they be required to have white babies so that their kid can have "every advantage in life"? Or should they have to randomly pick a sperm donor so that if things are less than idea we can call it an accident?

Peace.

--- Edit: correct bad vB code ---

Last edited: Apr 8, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scilosopher Registered Senior Member

Are they deaf?

Either way I think it's bad, but only because a useful functionality is lost. Without music and a means to communicate with most people misses a lot of the good parts of being human.

Black people wanting black kids seems much more reasonable to me. My mom was adopted and thinks of her adoptive parents as her only parents. If she was a different color it might be harder to do that. Besides the problem with being black isn't in the baby it's in the environment.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I think the parents should be shot. Being deaf is not an advantage. Why would you want to subject a child to being deaf for your own personal gratification.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I think it's a great idea. While they're at it, maybe they should create babies who are quadruplaegic, blind, and mentally retarded. Fuggin idiots. I hate people.

8. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

What happens in a few years when the child asks the parents "Why did you do this to me?" It might be a different matter if a child intentionally deafened himself in order to empathize with his parents. I do have to wonder: will the parents still consider the deafness a "blessing" if, say, the child is hit by a car because he couldn't hear the horn honking?

My problem is that this couple didn't want a child - they wanted an expectation. We're getting to the point where the right to procreate is now the "right to a child." That's a moral impossibility, because the statement implies ownership of the child. I have no doubt that these women have genuine feelings of love and affection for their child, and I don't fault them for that. Nevertheless, their desires indicate that he was created to appease their own feelings. Like it or not, this is using the children as a means to an end.

I am not fortunate enough to have children, but it is my belief that parents exist for their children, not the other way around. Of course children bring joy into the lives of their parents, but this does not mean that this joy is somehow OWED to them.

Peace.

9. The Metatron Registered Senior Member

Being Black in and of itself is not a disability it may be considerd a disability by some because of limits others put on you because of it. Where as being deaf limits you in certain ways regardless, and for someone to wish this on thier own child is sick.

10. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

The late-night ponderings…

This child could have had the best of both worlds. Could have had loving parents and the chance to learn signing and be part of a strong, supportive deaf community. At the same time he could have learned hearing speech and communication, participated in the mainstream hearing world/community - if she so wished - enjoyed music, listening to the radio - AND watching deaf theater.

There are so many disabled children out there, couldn't they just have adopted a deaf child?

Peace.

11. kmguru Staff Member

It is their right to punish their child. It is also our right to punish them that fits their actions. A civil case can be brought on behalf of the child for cruel and unusual punishment of a minor. We protect animals from being beaten or physical torture - so I am sure there are precedence somewhere....

12. Rick Valued Senior Member

Right to Punish a guy who is just going to start breathing in this world?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

gee...

bye!

13. Rick Valued Senior Member

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Now this could be a can of worms. Take it on to another conclusion from this line of thought. The most populas country of the world is China. In such a line of thought in a world community, could we all be liabel for not being Chinese?

In actuality, it does not apply. Being black is not a diease for which there is a cure. Black is a race of humans, the same as being asian. As such there is no fault for the parents perferring one of their own race as opposed to a mixed race child. The disadvantages are rapidally disappearing concerning race. Get an education and companies will hire, it is not dependant on the color of skin...

As to the other part of the topic. My first thought was that here are people that do not need a child. What parent would setup their child to be at such a disavantage purposefully? Only one who was more concerned with their own selfish desires than with the responcibilities that come with being a parent. Here is a child, (if successful) that will never know the joys of music (as it is intended to be enjoyed), never know the joy (or the pains) of driving vehicles, will never be able to get the meanings that come from modes of communication, such as tv, where both sight and sound are necessary. (Yes, there is sap transmissions, but a child will not always be in the home enviroment where things are configured to their needs) I wonder if the parents thinking in this line would even set it up for SAP transmissions? Well, differences make the world go round but this is the height of stupidy.