Creating an Underwater Society?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by BatM, Jun 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

I think Mars is a somewhat better bet if Earth gets messed up.

I'd like to experience a slice of life either underwater, or on Mars. If Earth goes into another long ice age regardless of its starting point, than the oceans could be come too cold to inhabit, even at a very low depth. For all we know a asteroid strike could tilt Earth's axis so that it becomes a big snow ball. No matter what happens on Earth, a Martian colony wouldn't be affected, assuming that they are self-dependent.

We should reach out to Mars, and begin to terraform it because I believe it is humanity's destiny to slip the bonds of Earth and expand into the rest of our solar system, and eventually galaxy. This will hinge itself on weather or not there is a monetary gain that can be taken from the planet itself. For more on Martian colonization, you can look under the Astronomy thread that is titled Mars. It may be in the archives.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Reasons for moving out.

Dilution of the population of earth into the space environment and into other worlds should be a long term goal. One as was mentioned is that we are vulnerable, as a species, within this one ecosystem. If it dies, for whatever reason, so do we. There are a few scenarios that would drive such to happen.

1. The asteroid impact scenario.
      It is not likely at the present stage of our development that we would discover an on course asteroid more than a few weeks at best. Several in past years have managed to come within days of near impact before discovery.
    2. The polluted environment scenario.
      That earth becomes so polluted as to not be able to support life with any real meaning to quality of life or quantity. This is within our means to control at present. That does not mean it will always be so.
    3. The nuclear winter scenario.
      War on it’s most dreaded scale. Total devestation of our way of life. Prehaps we would survive on some small scale afterwards, who is to say? But the effects would be around far longer than we as a species have any right to expect to exist if past history has any relevance.
    4. The superbug.
      One of the great fears I have is that some military research project escapes. To put it into the words of one Rush Limbough(?) “The military exists for two purposes, to break things and kill people”. A tailored germ/virus to eliminate the human species. Ideally it would effect only the enemy. But in the design/tailoring stage it is likely the bug would have an affinity for all peoples. And there is always an enemy that could have your tailor made bug.

This could be broken on down to multitudes of subcatorgies but I’m sure you get the gist.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2001
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

In the superbug scenario, it works like this:

Your side do not want to create a superbug for ethical reasons. But you reason that this may not prevent the other side to do the same thing like a targeted virus for certain ethnic groups. Now since the otherside is evil (they always are), you have to protect yourself. You need antidotes. But how can you have antidotes if you do not have the virus?

So you design the virus thinking like the evil group. Now while at it, you are told to design the virus targeting the enemy too - just in case (clandestine ofcourse).

So there you have it. You can fill in the gap....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Only too well, I'm afraid.

Any other speculations?

8. kmguru Staff Member

Nuclear winter: Nay, If we can work together dismantling the big bombs. The real threat is from terrorists (I have a separate thread under politics). But it will not be a massive attack. Just your New York City. That is why, it important to neutralize the threat. We are trying to go about it the wrong way.

Environment: No major catastrophe there - we have some checks and balances from the likes of Green Peace even though I may not agree with some of their methods.

Asteroid: Too close for comfort. It is a numbers game. When your time is up before you have the technology is there to stop it, who you are going to call?

The biggest threat of mass extinction is still biological including smart tomatoes (the atack of the killer tomatoes!)

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Attack of the Killer tomatoes. Since I'm sure you don't mean the movie, prehaps a question is in order.

How would you go about such a thing? Ship the product to the local grocery store? Would you load such into the fruit/vegetable? What would the shelf life of such be before the "product" is unusable?

If I had it in for, say France, (the French have never done anything to me, but losing all that competion for the home girls might be an idea), would the preferable senerio be to load the water supply, food supply, some warehouse of material to be sold to the general public, or prehaps even a hospital? A hospital seems like a good place to start. After all the victum was sick and had a relapse.

And would my bug be genetic? With prehaps the possibility of transferring by touch? Air transmission?

10. kmguru Staff Member

While "the attack of the killer tomatoes" was said in jest, there is a lot of truth to this.

Some time ago, I posted may be in this forum about a nightmare I had several years back. Here it goes.

In the dream, I woke up on a saturday morning to find a large number of people on our front yard extending to the back of the street. There was a helicopter buzzing around. Next to our house, there was an empty field that I saw now occupied by a propeller plane (DC 10?). I saw a tall very handsome/beautiful group came out of the plane. To make a long story short, they told us that they are from the future year 30xx (I have written down somewhere) and travelled back in time to collect vegetation seeds. Why? Because over the years, scientists have manipulated genes to grow more food for the expanding population. They gave edible plants intelligence to protect themselves from insects. All was well until suddenly in a matter of a few years, the plants started producing toxins that started killing humans. Before we could find out what is happening, it spread like wildfire to the whole planet.

Unfortunately no one had the original genome and seeds to change it back. At the time other scientists were working on temporal physics with the help of AIs. They got the plane from the Smithonian (in case there is a temporal problem) to get every kind of seed.

What bothers me is that I dreamt it in 1978 when we did not have all these genetic technology! Go figure....

11. kmguru Staff Member

And about the superbug, we do not have the technology to create AIDs type bug. But once we have AIDs bug in hand, we may create more potent one. We really do not need to. The nile virus and others found in africa are real potent ones for which we do not have any cure. In reality we do not have any real cure for Viruses. We let the body activate its immune response.

We can easily modify these superbugs for intended target. But I think you should be working on a benign bug that eats the other super bugs.

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The Benign Bug

Interesting, as always.

A super predator of super bugs. Which would have to be tailored to exacting standards. Most bugs, it would seem would be looking for some specific receptor site to lock on to. Sooo, the predator would have to be looking for those attachment keys/codes.

This brings to mind the Virus Attacks on computers which seems to be a cat and mouse game of catch up. The virus strikes, the antivirus is keyed to look for the identifing signature to neutralize the attack. So this brings the medical field to the same level. If you neutralize one, leaving the opponent without a strike ability, natuarlly they are going to modify/change the bug, which leads to the next round.

So do you expose your knowledge of the opponets' weapon and your research into it or do wait until use to prevent esclation ahead of time?

13. kmguru Staff Member

On the super bug issue:

A benign super bug which is friendly to the body but can recognize the bag bugs is the best scenario. Our human body has lots of bugs that feed from our body waste. The key is to engineer them such that they feel threatened by the superbug and hence territorial to kill the superbugs. It is easier than modifying our bodies microphages, T-cells etc and make them intelligent.

No, you do not expose your knowledge about your opponents weapon unless it serves some purpose. The reason is, say the otherside is spending all the money building a missile system and you find out by sending a special coded message, you can neutralize it, then let them build it as much as they can, let them spend all the money - in the mean time tell everyone that how potent that missile is and that you are so afraid of that missile system etc etc. You see my point....that is strategy.

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

While having wandered a good bit from the orginal topic of the thread it has been, shall we say, educational.

I wonder if this solar sail technology will assist in the traveling to Mars and the setup of a colony?

I also wonder if there is some new medicine awaiting our discovery in the ocean? I would think that if we did have a underwater habitat we might come closer to finding such. Spending more time in direct contact with the enviroment would allow more observation time. One of the keys to discovery.

15. kmguru Staff Member

Medicine from the sea

Medicine from the sea could be a whole new topic. Yesterday, our 15 year old dog had to be hospitalized due to a benign melanoma in his ear. The vet took care of it. The dog is fine. Now the vet told us that she has been to India. She found people are making salves that cures skin cancer. I am going to track that medicine and see what it contains.

Life started in the sea. So there is all kinds of proteins and biochemicals that we could use to treat modern diseases.

16. sader Registered Member

underwater

Nobody remembers atronaut Scott Carpenter's participation in Sealab, a Navy sponsored habitat in the Bahamas? Sealab was operating back in the late 1960's. The project was expensive because of the surface support vessels which provided power hookups as well as oxygen. Astronauts don't have to do any sort of saturation to avoid the 'bends', but divers do. The physiology of diving is often more hazardous than space flight.

A better simulation for deep space flights are submarines, or remote terrestial locations such as antarctica. Data from these are what NASA uses to project living conditions for trips to Mars. Also don't forget MIR. Cosmonuats stayed in orbit longer than a round trip to Mars would take.

17. kmguru Staff Member

Good Post. Thank you Sader and welcome.

18. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I echo kmguru's welcome. Here is a chair sit and be welcome.

I am somewhat familiar with divers and their needs. But let me make it clear that I am around it occasionally, not a diver. I have seen the equpitment needed to house the divers on a long term basis for underwater jobs. They live in that can for several weeks under the pressure that they will work under when not actually at work. It has a harzarous job with a short term future much like atheletes.

The Mars exploration simulation is running at present. Yesterday they were to set up to run geophones but the weather got in the way and hampered the transportation to and from their supposed site. (They never actually made it there)

19. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

I disagree...

Space is a lot more dangerous than the water. A paint fleck in earth's orbit travels at 18,000 mph. The single fleck hit the Space Shuttle's windshield and cracked the bullet resistant glass. There are thousands of items that are flying around, and if you got hit you'd be dead. Space has lots of radiation that currently we can only be in for a few hours without shielding of another planet. I still think its wiser to colonize another planet, i.e. Mars, because whatever happens on Earth, the Martian colony won't be affected. Underwater, or outer space will require an financial incentive or it won't be worth going to. I would like to see a colony on Mars first, and an underwater one second.

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

No one can argue that they both have their dangers. The paint fleck is valid for as far as it goes. Once outside the orbit of the earth then things thin down and there are not as many. This is not to say that there are not other hazards. And radiation being one of them. Sooner or later we will have to clean up the neighborhood. And this includes the nuts, bolts, ejecta material, and yes paint flecks. One such idea that has been sponsored by Australia after the Mir crash/splash down was the Orion.

The idea behind Orion was radar tracking and aiming device. The rest of it was a pulse laser (if I remember correctly) which would keep zapping objects until they were nudged into a degrading orbit or until they were destroyed. Don't ask me how long this would take. Depends on the size of the laser, the density of the target, and what its rotational speed might be amongst other things.

Now I am certainly an advocate for a colony. And I won't be choosy to start. It can be anywhere outside this gravity well. But it must be far enough away so that we have to venture to it and they need to be as self-sufficient as possible.

21. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Correction

sader,

Re. Your comment:
    The following is exerpted from STS-104 Mission Status Report #11:
    Just thought you'd like to know.

Re. The submarine analogy: That's why I decided to do subs; figured it was the closest I'd get to a spaceship. Glad I did it, quite the experience.

22. sader Registered Member

underwater

Ah, quite so. Thank you for the clarification. The Engineering is here, the technology is here, and the people willing to go are here. What is needed is the mandate from something to say "Do it".

23. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

It is called leadership. In this we are sadly lacking direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.