Crazy people do crazy things. Define crazy.

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by GRO$$, Jan 8, 2002.

1. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

I was thinking about something a kid said in homeroom the other day... we were talking about the guy in Afganistan fighting for the "bad guys" ... he said "Think of the guy that killed John Lennon ... Crazy people do crazy things".

Yet to them, they are not crazy... what if all of us were crazy, and only one of us wasnt... that one sane person would be labled "crazy".

Can we therefore define "crazy" as someone that believes in something the majority of society dosen't? Not only that, but something the majorty of society actively labels as "wrong".

Is this not similar to the definition of "evil"... Bin Laden considers the western world the Great Evil. Western world consider him the Great Evil.

Any opinions?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

re; crazy

Before i got married i ran with a motor bike gang,(a chapter to be truthful) and we where called1% ers and only becaus we did not ride like the other type of bikers, we where classed as outsiders,dont get me wrong i loved it and would do it again,we did crazy things just to shock other people,but we had total control over the bikes that we rode, so how could you call us crazy we where called a lot of thinga and maybe some of them where true,and maybe we where crazy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

:bugeye: I consider myself crazy, yet not because I don't conform. I actually truly consider mayself CRAZY! ( not in the inasane sense.) I think the definition goes deeper than an accepted/unaccepted type of thing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ana Registered Senior Member

I'm no walking dictionary but....

I dunno...perhaps one of the definitions of crazy would include something to the likes of ---umm, lemmee see (very limited, however)....someone who's logic is flawed to the point that they do not function properly in society and someone who takes actions based on their illogical thoughts and thus inflicts harm upon themselves or others......but then you'd have to define logic and oh hell, where's STRYDER when you need him?lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Maybe that's why psychologists don't like the word "crazy"--and have come up with alternate phrases like " suffering from mental illness" and have developed names for these illnesses rather than dumping every "NUT" into one category (LOL).

8. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

"Can we therefore define "crazy" as someone that believes in something the majority of society dosen't? Not only that, but something the majorty of society actively labels as "wrong".
    I think that a person decides what is right and wrong. Your opinions of wrong depends on the values that were instilled in you in your childhood. Something I dont think is wrong, someone else thinks its wrong. Thats why some people dont think they are crazy, and some people know they are crazy. Personally, I think its how a person is raised. I work with counselors and I hear the term "chemically imbalanced" alot. Maybe its something deeper than childhood, like the chemicals in your brain being off kilter.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I wish I knew the answers.

Groove on

9. Tyler Registered Senior Member

'Crazy' literally means insane. As you're defining it, it's a slang term. Meaning, basically, someone who is very incorrectly outside the norm.
    Like everything else in language (as Neitzsche has taught us), the word is completely relative to the person holding the opinion.

10. Nephilim Registered Senior Member

I knew someone that broke an ash tray with their face. That has been my diffenition of crazy for years now.

11. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

12. Nephilim Registered Senior Member

Yes but haven't our views on what is considered insane changed over the years? Wasn't Schizophrenia considered insanity at one time? How about Manic Depression?

13. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Which is why we call what we know and classify of these illness' theories!

14. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

"Sanity" is dull.