crashing into stars

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by THC, Jun 8, 2005.

1. THC Registered Member

:m: ​

so i was looking @ my alarm clock tonight and realised that the minutes are just measurements of distance that the Earth is travelling around the Sun. and so, it is kinda ticking away towards when the Earth spirals into the Sun. however, other planets (whatever the closer ones are) should hit the Sun first, and probably slightly alter it's position and whatnot. maybe not..

anywayz,
    who here has the info needed to calculate the exact second that the last physical piece of the Earth will be fissed and fused by the sun? the Sun's probably a bit hotter than anything on or in Earth, so it might melt before it gets to the surface, but the "mathematical central impact pont" is fine for me.

every second is probably technically shorter than the last, eh?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

The Earth might never be consumed by the Sun; as the Sun expands, it will also lose mass in an outpouring of solar wind, so the orbit of the Earth will get wider. Some estimates say that the new orbit of the Earth will be wide enough to avoid actual consumption by the giant Sun others disagree.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

thats not really true. TFTR (Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor) set a world record plasma temperature of 510 million degrees centigrade. the sun is only about 15 million.
    nobody.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. creek 1884 APOLO Registered Senior Member

I dont think any one knows what will happen when the red giant sun expand outwards to engulf the earth orbit. I dont beleive our orbit will move outward. Anyway mankind wont be around then, so why worry about it.

REGARDS APOLO

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Well, won't be around then on Earth anyways.
    Besides, when/if Sun's orbit would reache Earth's, it would have been a molten rock and liquid magma for a long time anyways.

9. Lucas Registered Senior Member

10. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Anyone here see that episode of the Twilight Zone where the Earth's orbit had been perturbed by a passing comet or something and the Earth was being drawn rapidly into the Sun? There was an artist that was painting and her paint kept melting and running off the canvas because it was so hot and getting hotter.

And then, she woke up. And everything was so cold because a passing comet or something had perturbed the orbit of the Earth causing it to recede rapidly away from the Sun on an eventual escape from the Solar System altogether.

That was sweet.

12. deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  13. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

14. Okeydoke Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't sit patiently beside your phone waiting for a call from ET telling you he's coming by for a visit anytime to soon. Instead, you might have a better chance of getting noticed by ET standing on your roof at night and waving your T-shirt and yelling obscentities towards the center of our galaxy. If that works for you then it works for me too.

Okeydoke

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

By that time , IF HUMANS SURVIVE, we will be able to create a new sun with advancements in astronomical physics and particle physics.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Cool, cool,
    but you'd need to get rid of the old one first. And that all without much temperature changes, or the Earth's ecosystem will be destroyed.

The best and easiest solution is to terraform another planet

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But what if, in a few billion years which is how long the sun will last, if humans can make the sun they have, if humans are still alive, just rekindle itself without going into death throws at all? No need to start with a new sun just keep tossing the coals into the fire so to say.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  18. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

If we start now, we could capture and as much energy as possible from all the stars in the sky using Dyson shells, extract unfused elements from those stars to make artificial stars when required, and live off stored energy for trillions of years; once that has run out the cold remnants of stars left iover could be crashed together to form neutron stars or black holes.

In theory a civilisation could survive on the radiation from black holes far into the deep future. But it would not be a future that we would recognise readily.

19. KitNyx Registered Senior Member

DwayneD.L.Rabon -

Are you familiar with someone who used an avatar names Mental Avenger or Tal D Noble? Your writing sounds VERY familiar...

- Kit

20. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I think we're going to find out that when we need to, if we keep advancing, we will be able to build new stars.

21. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

22. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Yeah that was awesome. I love ye Olde TZ.

23. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

In approximately 5 billion years, the sun expands as a red giant to consume the Earth (maybe).

In one tenth of that time, the expanding sun gets hot enough so that the whole Earth is at a temperature of almost 100 C or more. The only life able to survive will be a few thermophiles - bacteria.

Humanity had better get a move on in its space development. We only have 500 million years at most to travel to other stars to find a new home!