CPU overheating problem

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Godspeed, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godspeed Registered Member

I just built a new pc, most parts comming from newegg and I have a big issue with it overheating. The fan I got for it is the volcano 9, and i leave it on max RPM of 5200, but even at idle, my cpu temp is around 60C. I did apply the stock grease that came with the AMD 2600 cpu and I made sure the hsf was properly installed. This has become such a big issue I had to manually shut down the beeping that goes off when it goes past 55C. Does anyone have any solution to this overheating problem? Also does anyone know of any good FREE cpu temperature monitoring programs out there? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

I'm sure there are free monitors out there, though I don't know of any in particular, maybe you should do a search on google.

Hardware Doctor by Winbond might be free (or shareware)

My suggestion would be to buy a really good heatsink. A good choice for a 2600+ would be the Vantec Aeroflow VA4-C7040

If you want something else, keep in mind that copper dissipates heat much better than aluminium (so a pure copper heatsink might be a good choice).

If you don't mind the noise level, you can buy something with a really high speed fan, like the CAK4-86 Cooling Tower from Global Win Technology. Though a noise level of above 70dB would be something I could never tolerate (hell I can't tolerate a noise level about 50dB)

Also you can buy some really good thermal paste. Artic Silver 3 is the best.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Godspeed Registered Member

Hey thanks for the reply. I read some of the reviews for the Vantec and it was pretty much the same as Volcano 9, at 5200 rpm's and extremely loud. However, the Volcano 9 u can adjust the RPM to lower settings so it wouldnt be as loud. I also learn from other postings from other message boards that AMD are supposed to get real hot when in use for long durations, so the 60c idle and 70 load is considered 'normal' for amd cpu's. Ill try turning the RPM down 1/2 way and see the results, if it goes bad, you guys will know for I won't be posting here for a while

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

Right...... Mr. Well Informed

Did you happen to check out this review? It is quite contrary to what you just stated

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030113/cooler5-33.html

You only have 3 post here. If you've come to sciforums to bash AMD, get lost. Otherwise please get your facts straight...

8. Godspeed Registered Member

whoa now, I came here for suggestions, not to bash AMD or anyone... and where in my post did I bash AMD? I was just sharing with you what I have learned from others. Before my PC was built, I considered getting the Vantec fan too but Volcano 9 won out because like yourself, I could never stand the noise it would produce. Volcano 9 is extremely loud when at full RPM, but it can also be switched to lower RPM's for reduced noise.

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

There are water coolers that might be of interest to you. They run around 130 bucks and take up a bay.

10. Godspeed Registered Member

I've heard many great things bout water coolant systems and how they keep the CPU temp way down even on load. Are they silent and easy to install? If so, I will also have to find one at good price on ebay or wait a while, for im flat broke in college =(

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I will assume that they are easy to install as you can buy them to take home, much the same as a cd reader or multi-media setup.

While I have never installed one, I have considered it as AMD's typically run warmer than Intel's.

Speaking with the place I do business, the owner claims they are quite effective. He had several on display and hooked up. The temperature readings backed him up. While I can not remember what the temperature difference was, I do remember it as being dramatic.

12. Godspeed Registered Member

Thank you for your feedback wet1, I will look into getting one whenever I get enough $, which isnt anytime soon. The noise from my volcano 9 hsf is driving me and my quad mates crazy!

13. aciescomplio Registered Senior Member

there are tonnes of programs that can decrease your CPU temp by bout 10degrees.. heres a site that has a couple of good apps (look under "CPU").

14. Godspeed Registered Member

Thank you aciescomplio. I'm a little skeptical about the CPU cooling programs. How do they keep the CPU's temp down?; trade performance for cooler temp?

15. aciescomplio Registered Senior Member

nup..apparenty your CPU works overtime when idle..

Most modern CPU's have a feature integrated into them called the HLT (halt) instruction, Intel then turned it into STPGNT (stop grant), a bus cycle.
    This were made when people complained about the amount of power a CPU needed to Intel and demanded power saving techniques.
    So the programs unleash this feature and sort of 'disconnect' the CPU for a period of time, reducing power and reducing heat.

This is the major feature they grant but there are other small tweaks they do to reduce power aswell.

And as far as I know u wont even know it's working in the background...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

A program that can potentially reduce heat by toning down your processor when it's not being used, is not going to prevent your CPU from burning out when it is under a heavy load from an extensive task (like writing a CD or encoding a video).

It is you are going to run an application of any kind that is going to stress your processor, you need to be worried about the CPU's use during that period of time, because those 10 minutes of using that program could potentially destroy your processor.

Programs like CPUIdle are only theoretically beneficial in the very small sense that they might extend your CPU's life span by not having it has hot for longer durations.

Water coolers are actually no so easy to setup in my opinions. You've got to have a place to store the tank, you have to attach a bunch of tubes, it requires a good deal of maintenance, you have to add water every so often. The base of most water cooling devices is usually fairly heavy. Alot of parts running around that can get messy.

17. Laser Eyes Registered Senior Member

Don't worry about it Godspeed. My AMD 1.53 Ghz with a Taisol heatsink and fan has been running at 60C for the past 2 years without problem. Taisol are less powerful than other coolers but they are quiet and get the job done.

18. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

You need to worry when any part reaches above 145 degrees F. That is when damage can start to occur, or shorten the life span of a particular part. You could also potentially burn a part out.

Certain plastics and other sensitive microscopic parts can start melting at 150 F

150 F is approximately 65 C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.