COVID-19 Source: Will we ever know?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Quantum Quack, May 5, 2020.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

you forgot...
    Do an online course and get an education
    Research virology, fluid mechanics, and the psychology behind paranoia.

oh... also maybe sleep a lot...lol

oh ... oh... and how to cook a Chicken curry in 100 different ways...
    so far I got two down.. .still working on the other 98....

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I think i just found the origins of COVID- 19
    The great chicken curry conspiracy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

No. That's the point. NO ONE knows a lot about this virus yet. Which is why your continual propositions about "what people should do if they are serious" or bizarre origin stories are so stupid.

We know SOME things about this virus. Perhaps concentrate on those?

?? Right. It first appeared in November in China. Then people started traveling. Of course it appeared in other places after that. That's how pandemics work.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Try this:
    What was this virus informally called before being formally labelled COVID-19?
    In China?
    In France?
    In California?
    Then think a little about your answer.

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

You think the early names given to the virus are scientific evidence of its origin? Whereas the genetic sequencing of it is not?

I see.

9. Bells Staff Member

You were given a quote and link to a study that tells you exactly where it originated from - ie - which species of bats in China carried it before it mutated and jumped species..

You ignored it, whined about being bored and then posted something about curry.

And then you once again, go back to this ridiculous conspiracy by trying to yet again, allude to where it could be from and now based on the name?

Viruses, and the diseases they cause, often have different names. For example, HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. People often know the name of a disease, but not the name of the virus that causes it.

There are different processes, and purposes, for naming viruses and diseases.

Viruses are named based on their genetic structure to facilitate the development of diagnostic tests, vaccines and medicines. Virologists and the wider scientific community do this work, so viruses are named by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV).

Diseases are named to enable discussion on disease prevention, spread, transmissibility, severity and treatment. Human disease preparedness and response is WHO’s role, so diseases are officially named by WHO in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD).

ICTV announced “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)” as the name of the new virus on 11 February 2020. This name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the coronavirus responsible for the SARS outbreak of 2003. While related, the two viruses are different
    . ​

Stop trolling QQ.

exchemist likes this.
  10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I do honestly wish it were that simple
    2 days after your cited report comes this article:
    https://theconversation.com/coronav...suggests-two-viruses-may-have-combined-134059

which finishes with the conclusion:

This recombination mechanism had already been described in coronaviruses, in particular to explain the origin of SARS-CoV. It is important to know that recombination results in a new virus potentially capable of infecting a new host species. For recombination to occur, the two divergent viruses must have infected the same organism simultaneously.

Two questions remain unanswered: in which organism did this recombination occur? (a bat, a pangolin or another species?) And above all, under what conditions did this recombination take place?

See bolded
    Now remember my comment about viruses mingling?
    Did you also know that
    many Betacoronaviruses have been discovered, mainly in bats, but also in humans.
    It is a real shame that you can not have a sensible and intelligent discussion with out fighting...and insulting someone...

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

there is no conspiracy to theorize about...

The fact is the researchers are still attempting to identify the source. They have found a certain amount of strong sequence homology that surely indicates that a Horseshoe bat may be the carrier but it is not conclusive. Because there is an element of combination involved to generate a novel virus the virus may have evolved in another animal other than bats.

It is not often that a novel virus appears and unfortunately the fact that it is novel means that it is not so simple to identify it's source by simply comparing with previous viruses.
    That's my take on it ...any way...

However I will grant you that the location involved appears to be China or possibly even Malaysia (Malaysian Pangolin at 9o% match)
    It appears though yet to be verified that the Malaysian Pangolin is the most likely source of the novel virus mainly because as I read it, the virus it has is capable of infecting humans were as the bat is not.

Recombination mechanism
    On February 7, 2020, we learned that a virus even closer to SARS-CoV-2 had been discovered in pangolin. With 99% of genomic concordance reported, this suggested a more likely reservoir than bats. However, a recent study under review shows that the genome of the coronavirus isolated from the Malaysian pangolin (Manis javanica) is less similar to SARS-Cov-2, with only 90% of genomic concordance. This would indicate that the virus isolated in the pangolin is not responsible for the COVID-19 epidemic currently raging.

However, the coronavirus isolated from pangolin is similar at 99% in a specific region of the S protein, which corresponds to the 74 amino acids involved in the ACE (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2) receptor binding domain, the one that allows the virus to enter human cells to infect them. By contrast, the virus RaTG13 isolated from bat R. affinis is highly divergent in this specific region (only 77 % of similarity). This means that the coronavirus isolated from pangolin is capable of entering human cells whereas the one isolated from bat R. affinis is not.

see bolded.

so you can see it is a rather complex issue and not so simple and I am quite happy to discuss it with you if you want to, unless of course you consider all discussion as some sort of conspiracy theory?

btw , given the pace that things are changing the information in both articles (17th and 19th of March) is probably obsolete by now any how...
    ..and the novel virus may have been lurking in the forests of Asia for many years with out having human contact to expose it.

12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes it is shame but the reason why it is impossible is you. What you have quoted about virus recombining etc in other animals is hardly shocking news: it is how we know new flu virus can arise in pigs, for example. Nor is it any evidence for a non-Chinese origin of SARS-Cov-2. There are other animals besides pangolins in China, you know.

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

For those members who are unfamiliar with the animal called Pangolin

Image c/o wiki

Often hunted and poached for medicinal properties..

14. Bells Staff Member

The studies already stated which bat species were reservoirs..

And those bat species exist in China in that region..

The genes don't lie.

The article you linked does not state any differently.

You are literally, and I mean literally, pulling stuff out of your large intestines and twisting things around to be something else because you are incapable of admitting that you are wrong.

And you are, yet again, wrong!

Did you read the entire article? Or did you just skip to the conclusion because you think it says something else?

Because anyone with even half a functioning brain would not have read that article after being advised of that study, and tried to link it to allude to something else.

Once again, they know which species of bat is classified as the reservoir. That bat species is in China.

What part of that don't you understand?

Stating fact.

It is impossible to have any form of discussion, intelligent or otherwise with someone who doesn't understand what is being said and is hell bent on thinking up what if's..

Seriously?

They are attempting to find the intermediary animal where it would have mutated and then spread..

They know the reservoir is in particular bat species.

Do you understand now?

What?

You do realise that they sequenced the genome of the virus, yes?

They know which bat species can act as reservoirs.. What they do not know is which intermediary species..

You are the only one saying that it may not have originated in China, despite all genetic evidence that it did.

It's not that you are happy to discuss this with people.. The issue is that you are incapable of discussing this with anyone because a) you have no idea what you are saying, b) you dream up hypotheticals and argue those from a standpoint of fact and finally c) you ignore all known facts because of a) and b).

My god...

15. river

Here is the thing about coronavirus, there are about 35 variations .

Influenza does not seem to have much to do with it .

It is interesting that sometimes bacteria of pneumonia uses viruses to weaken the host of infection .

Reading John M. Barry's book , The Great Influenza , ( Deadliest Pandemic in History , in 1918 ) is an eye opener .

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Pneumonia, novel coronavirus and Hubei virus are the ones I've heard. Doesn't mean much of course.

17. river

Influenza

18. river

What bacteria(s) ; are present where the virus is not . And what bacteria is present where the virus is .

And the Area that they both cover in both scenarios .

It could be that if you don't fight the bacteria , in presence of the virus , then the battle is never won .

I'm thinking that the bacteria forms the virus . If true ; then bacteria evolves the virus .

So the search of Bacteria that is in the vicinity of the virus maybe very important .

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

or in minor situations "common cold", common flu, Wuhan flu etc...
    all of which have been around for ages and infecting people all the while...

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I would be confident that yes, bacteria have a role in evolving viruses.

river likes this.
  21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

it is what people are considering as fact when they are not fact that is part of the reason why the actual source of this virus may never be discovered.
    Example:
    Some people, mass media and governments included, are claiming as fact, that the virus started in the fish market in Wuhan with out considering the incubation period and that the identified spreader "Apparently" according to Chinese Authorities, came from some distance from the market.
    There are many claims to fact that are totally bullsh*t.

Some Facts as I know them:
    • The fish market was an epicenter.
    • The source of the virus and how the virus gained potency is still a mystery.
    • Unidentified viral pneumonia out breaks have occurred in the past in China and the world generally.
    • It is standard practice to store Post-mortum Lung tissue for just this reason - waiting later identification.
    • We do not know when this virus was formed and how long it has been spreading in the human population.
    • At least two strains have been identified. One considerably weaker than the other.
    • Viral Pneumonia appears in about 200 million people a year across the globe typically. wiki.
    • We do not know how the virus suddenly gained potency and was implicated in the epicenter outbreak in Wuhan.
    • We do know that infected humans can infect animals.

To claim that it all started in the Fish market in Wuhan is factually and logically incorrect. (I am not suggesting that you are making this claim)

Again, there IS NO conspiracy suggested or implied in any of the above.

river likes this.
  22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Maybe you could consider researching whether a person suffering bacterial pneumonia can be simultaneously infected with viral pneumonia and explore the similarities?

23. river

I can't

I'm hoping though that someone is inspired to do so .