COVID-19 Source: Will we ever know?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Quantum Quack, May 5, 2020.

1. Bells Staff Member

And?

Because wet markets sell more than just bats..

Because it more than likely jumped from bats to another species which then transmitted it to human(s)..

And I suspect you don't quite understand what is meant by "wet market" and shutting them down permanently would be be disastrous for China and the Chinese:

In reality, most seafood, live animal and wholesale markets in China contain far less exotic fare. An enormous variety of different kinds of market are confusingly lumped within the term “wet market”, a term that originated in Hong Kong and Singapore English to distinguish markets selling fresh meat and produce from “dry” markets selling packaged and durable goods such as textiles.

Today, several kinds of “wet markets” can be distinguished, with differences that are often crucial for accurately assessing the risks they pose for the emergence of viruses: scale (wholesale or retail), produce (live animals, only slaughtered meat and fresh vegetables, only live seafood; animals (domestic only or wild). Where markets do contain what many western media portray as “wild animals”, the majority of these are actually bred and farmed in captivity, such as mallard ducks, frogs, or snakes. Only a smaller proportion of animals are actually poached from the wild for sale.

[...]

A permanent shutdown of “wet markets” would affect patterns of food consumption in ways that are unknowable but potentially harmful to public health. It would deprive Chinese consumers of a food sector that accounts for 30-59% of their food supplies. Due to the large number of farmers, traders and consumers involved, the abolition of “wet markets” is also likely to lead to an explosion of an uncontrollable black market, as it did when such a ban was attempted in 2003, in response to SARS, as well as in 2013-14, in response to avian influenza H7N9.

This would involve enormously greater risk to public and global health than the legal and regulated live animal markets in China today. And live poultry and animal markets have long served as a crucial “early warning” site for viral surveillance, including in the United States.

What “wet markets” in China require is more scientific and evidence-based regulation, rather than being abolished and driven underground.

Australia also has "wet markets".. Fresh seafood markets and the meat section in say the Melbourne Market comes to mind..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Have been well aware of what a wet market is for a long time now, if you have ever been to one they are hard to forget... it is the sale of Bats that is the issue... Live frogs, turtles and eels, as sold in Singapore wet markets, appear to be relatively safe. ( most being farmed and not wild)
    As Bats are directly related to COVID-19, MERS and SARS and global economic melt down and an enormous death toll my question and point still stands...
    Banning the the handling and sale of Bats would be a logical and quite rational thing to do.

What steps would you take to prevent another outbreak from a bat source if you could?
    Btw, Bats can be found in many places in the world including the Middle East. MERS was apparently of Bat origin ==> Camel.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

There is no evidence that it came from eating or handling bats.

It appears as though it originated in bats and jumped into a different animal (probably through droppings, saliva, urine on a different food source - much like how Hendra outbreaks happen in Australia for example), mutated again and then jumped into humans.

So you are [again] overreacting.

Really, really wash and/or peel fruit and vegetables and cook meat at correct temperatures.

Yep.

Bats are also essential in our food chain (pollination) and they keep flying insects at bay and under control in many areas of the world.

I am known to spend hours on clear nights, sitting in the backyard, watching micro bats flit around the back yard eating flying insects, and the fruit bats fly past in large numbers - especially when the gum trees are in bloom.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

ALL domesticated animals originated from wild animals.

Domesticated animals are a huge risk for several reasons.
    1) People are in very close contact with them
    2) We eat them by the ton
    3) We hit them with high dose antibiotics all the time, so those animals breed antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
    ?? Right. You said that when it comes to " viruses, parasites and bacteria etc. there is a difference." I am answering that speculation.
    Right.
    Probably because they couldn't stop it. If they clamped down the trade would go underground and that would be an even bigger risk.

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I was actually hoping you would use this excuse for doing nothing...
    The difference is that if the Chinese Government ban the Bat trade and enforce the ban, they can at least claim a less responsibility for any future outbreak and place the responsibility on criminal elements in it's society.
    As it stands the world sees China as condoning the Bat trade ( which I believe is not true based on vague info) and are therefore complicit in the pandemic today and the ones to follow.

It is puzzling that a government that is so "global optics" focused, so ruthless in it's quest to social engineer ( especially regarding culture and religion) and expand it's global influence would allow the Bat trade to appear to continue and use cultural necessity as an excuse. ( a significant hypocrisy )

What is China doing to protect itself from another pandemic and avoid such massive losses, both economical and human? ( rhetorical**)

(**) Rhetorical because no one really knows due to the Chinese Gov. lack of transparency.

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

True but there are concerns among virologists that some viruses can be evolved spontaneously, hypothetically due to animal stress factors and mixing those stressed species in close proximity with each other and raw butchered meat.

The wet markets are not pleasant places if you are concerned about animal rights or health.

They are in some cases, virus breeding grounds...They know it and yet they appear to condone it...
    So it is logical to assume that the Chinese Government already know that the wet markets are not the source...of their massive economic and human losses. ( COVID-19)

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

I don't run, or live in, China.
    So you'd rather . . . have someone to blame than solve the problem?

Trump is currently taking that approach, so you'd be in good company.
    ?? It is illegal to sell wild animals at their wet markets. How is that "condoning the bat trade?"

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Currently according to media sources the Bat trade continues in the wet markets
    Goggle : bat trade in wet markets
    There are many links to choose from...

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

?? Spontaneously? As in on Tuesday, there's no virus, and on Wednesday, there's a deadly virus in bats that can jump to humans?

No, virology doesn't work that way.
    Wet markets are still open. Wild animal trade is not allowed. How are they condoning it?

Banning wet markets in China is like banning breakfast places in the US after swine flu because there's a lot of bacon there. It 1) wouldn't do anything and 2) would make a lot of people very angry.

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Exactly. And if China closes the wet markets - the bat trade will continue in the wet markets.

What caused this disease (selling wild animals) is now illegal. You're not going to be able to spin that into "China condones COVID."

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Just make sure your bat meat is thoroughly cooked. I like mine on the rare side but now I'm starting to cook it more.

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I said that it "appears" that China is condoning it, it is a matter of global optics.
    I believe I read somewhere that the law banning wild animals, including the Bat trade, was rescinded around the time the lock down of Wuhan was lifted.

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I guess it is a question for the Chinese to address, evolve their nation into the 1st world or remain stuck in the dark ages...
    They either modernize and sanitize their desire for the medicinal properties of live animals ( Ancient Chinese medicine) or they remain in the dark ages...bringing the world down with it.

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

yes, they are incredibly interesting animals.. for sure..
    It is also interesting to note that Bats are mammals that are the only mammal capable of sustained flight.
    The facts that they are a mammal and capable of avian like flight is to me an interesting concordance of features especially when considering the commutability or transferability of a virus to humans ( also a mammal) ...

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

Eh, that's like saying that California can close its farmer's markets or remain stuck in the dark ages. Just doesn't fly. (Unless you have a political reason to try to denigrate China.)
    OK. But again, that's like saying you appear to support eating bats, since you haven't given any money to anti-bat-eating causes, or called for the end of meat.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

It's a parody.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

That would actually be a relief.
    Just reminded me of a news thingy from the states a few years ago, with an Interview with a Klansman....He was asked why he thinks black Americans are "different" he replied because their backsides are reared higher then white folk[with an analogy to apes] He was serious.

22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Sorry I didn't realise that California markets sold bats and bat meat for Chinese medicinal use...
    Can you provide a link that states so?
    I find it hard to believe anything you say... but you might be right on this point... that California sells wild bats in it's fresh produce markets...although some sort of collaborating evidence would be nice... I'll take your word for it...

are you suggesting that California may be the source of this pandemic?

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

Most don't. It is illegal here just as it is illegal in China.

But California has open air markets just like China does. So to people like you, unless California closes down its open air markets, they appear to be OK with Coronavirus. They can choose to live in the dark ages, or shut them down. (Using your rationale.)
    Then by all means, believe your imagination instead.