COVID-19 Source: Will we ever know?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Quantum Quack, May 5, 2020.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

The issue of where this virus started and how it made it's way into the human population appears to be gaining importance to the many governments around the world wishing to understand why their losses both in human and economic have occurred and more importantly how to prevent this sort of pandemic from happening again.

The general population also wish to know and no doubt over the coming months and years many investigations will ensue.
    Lead contender at the moment is:
    • A wet market in Wuhan China. ( November, December - 2019)

There is reason, I believe, that this may not be the case so I ask:

Will we every really know where this terrible pandemic had it's source?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Care to discuss?

Ethernos D Grace likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

One things we can dismiss at the outset is the conspiracy theory about the virus being some kind of man-made bioweapon. It is of natural origin.

Whether it came from the market or via a biosecurity breach at the virology institute is unknown at the moment. Speculation about that seems premature in the absence of more data.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm surprised that you did "care to discuss"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yeah I toyed with saying nah, but then thought I'd just put a shot across QQ's bows on some of the nuttier conspiracy theories, before he gets going.

I'm surprised Laurie AG hasn't been back with more of his eyeball-rolling-peasant notions about bat mites. That was funny: the best comment was from Bells: "What fresh level of Hell is this?"

. But even he had to give that up when I pointed out it was unlikely there would be bats in the AC ducts of a cruise ship. (Makes you wonder if he too is a resident of a secure institution somewhere.......)

Seattle likes this.
  8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

According to media it has been found that COVID-19 was spreading in France as early as late December 2019.
    The pandemic was originally thought to have started in late January 2020.
    Retesting of pneumonia cases ( 2019 ) continues.
    Other nations are also testing to see when this pandemic actually started in their respective communities.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920301643

9. Bells Staff Member

Ummm..

It's a pandemic.

Stop international flights and cruises.

Which general population? Prison? Psychiatric institution?

Why bother when we can fester about conspiracies instead?

Hardly surprising given cases were springing up in Wuhan in late November... It was not until late December that enough cases were presenting that flags were raised with the WHO.

People travel QQ.

No. As noted above, people do travel..

Okay..?

Umm, I have to ask, why have you started this thread when you still just seem to be giving updates, this time about testing to see when it started to spread, when your other thread on this virus is also just about you posting constant updates anyway?

exchemist likes this.
  10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Where do you think the pandemic started from?
    When did it start?
    Do you wish to discuss it or not?

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Even with this Nov. 17 case identified, doctors can't be certain the individual is "patient zero," or the very first individual to have been infected with SARS-CoV-2, and there's a chance even earlier cases will be found, the SCMP reported.

https://www.livescience.com/first-case-coronavirus-found.html
    yes they do, or should I say did, both to China and from China...
    That is to say that the virus could have originated outside of China and was transported to China. This is why testing old cases of pneumonia that may have COVID-19 implicated is so important.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Eating raw/undercooked bushmeat.
    Around Nov.

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What's the best temperature to cook bushmeat? Discuss.

14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Quite.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sous vide, 60C for four hours.

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm afraid four hours will turn into sixteen hours and 60 C will turn into 240 C and then who knows what will happen? Will we ever know?

exchemist likes this.
  17. river

They will never know QQ , lately it could have started months before the outbreak .

In the end , patient zero will probably never be found .

Quantum Quack likes this.
  18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I guess while people believe that it originated in the wet market or the lab in Wuhan with out the science/investigation to support it, you might be right...

19. river

We are all learning more and more about this virus , continuously .

20. Bells Staff Member

From an animal. Probably a bat that jumped to another species..

Late last year.

This is already established.

I just want to know why you feel it is necessary to have another thread about it.

Ooookay?

I don't believe I said anything that differed from this.

Yes.

People can get from one end of the world to the other in less than 24 hours.

That is how it spread around the world.

There is no evidence that this is the case. They identified one man in France who apparently had it in December (or something in that time frame) who had no connection or visits to China. But it is also quite possible that it was already spreading in the community in a limited fashion back then in Europe.

Maybe.

But that depends on whether you are doing it to feed a conspiracy or if it's for scientific purposes.

exchemist likes this.
  21. Saint Valued Senior Member

The virus probably came from wild life eaten by people in Wuhan.
    But it spreads to people outside wuhan and carried to the West.

22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

yes probably...
    I think we shall find it started a while before then but we shall wait and see the science.
    Certainly the first identified case in China was found late last year.

so I take that as a no.

but of course the question now is where...

Good .. at least you can accept the possibility that the virus may have initially come from somewhere outside of China...

Until a thorough investigation is carried out and science is determined we shall probably not ever know, hence this threads title.

It has nothing to do with me it has all to do with the science.. until then we shall have to listen to the conspiracy theories coming out of Washington.
    Trump likened the pandemic to an attack worse than Pearl harbor, whilst stating that he believed it came from a lab in Wuhan...
    Do you agree with Trump?

As to why I started this thread, it seemed to me that an inquiry into the source and start of the COVID-19 pandemic is singularly the most important question in human history and it deserved at the very least a thread of it's own at this forum.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Why do you think that?
    Just simply handling wild life would be sufficient to infect a person, so why is eating it necessary?
    What science are you referring to?