Cover ideas for my next book

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by swivel, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

I agree with Ricrery on this one. It will make it look more Sci-Fi

Lelouch vi Britannia commands you, obey me subjects, obey me world!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

From Chapter 30 of Half Way Home:

He danced in Rogers’s spotlight. The stage tilted, a massive chuck of rock falling toward the beast. Oliver’s arms went forward, as if to ward off the indomitable. A thing that could eat through solid rock caught his hands and seemed to suck him forward.
    And his body popped. The skin pulled off first, the weak lining of him yanked away like a parlor trick. Meat and muscle were left, and then that went next, pulled into the spinning and grinding. There was a squirt of blood, the clanging of grinding bone, and a shower. A horrible shower of gore. And then he was gone. Oliver had become nothing but a smear. A memory. A shape in my recollection, but no longer anywhere in the actual world. And the great metal beast roared by, never slowing, never noticing. It had encountered a soft pocket of no resistance during its jaunt through solid Earth. A lazy bit of air to bite through. Mere flesh.
    It kept moving, crashing into the tractor, which splintered in an explosion of mechanical bits. The groan and shriek of bending, shattering steel rang out over the rumbles, drowning out the screams from Roger, who winked out as quickly as his flashlight.
    Those of us in the old tunnel fell back, away from the wall of moving alloy in front of us as the glimmering skin of the great creature slid by. The thing was a wall of waving metal plates that overlapped and rubbed against each other, shrieking with the sound of steel sliding against steel. I called out for Oliver, felt the words in my head, but couldn’t hear anything over the maelstrom of noise.
    The hellish scene was over in mere moments. And then we were left in a darkness full of receding thunder. I found myself on my back, but couldn’t remember falling. I groped in the pitch black for my flashlight, the complete absence of light as bewildering as the blue sky had been the day before. I felt worse than blind—I felt cursed with an inability to perceive even the void.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ricrery Banned Banned

Silence, you are INFERIOR!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

*gets shunned* WE WILL RETURN! WE WILL RETURN! *disappears in the Time Jump*

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I like the second one in post #11. If this is a book aimed at the teenage market, #13 is too much (because it looks like a poster for a horror film).

Post #11 is an improvement on post #1, which has too much brightness IMO. The muted colours give more of a sense of menace. But I like the stairway to an unknown place - it gives a sense of mystery.

The first cover in #11 worries me for some reason that I can't quite place. Something seems to draw my eyes to the right-hand side, away from the central stairway. Maybe it's a perceived unevenness in illumination between the left and right sides.

8. ricrery Banned Banned

What about #17? Way worse for kids.

9. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Update: the photographer of the image from #13 and I have reached an agreement. She sent several other shots from the same shoot and I'm working on mock-ups with each. I'll post the various cover ideas in this thread and see what you guys and gals think.

Awesome to have it narrowed down a bit!

10. ricrery Banned Banned

Why did you still ignore #17? It's showing the violence that your novel has.

11. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I like this one. It draws you too it. Yeah it's more of a horror thing, but that's what teens like.

12. ricrery Banned Banned

Reminds me of "Hatchet" so... NO NO NO NO. On a serious note, mine seems to be more of a cover, seriously, those legs aren't the star, are they?

13. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Exactly....we are teens ourselves we know

14. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

15. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Wow. That is cool. Stick with that one. Unless ofcourse something better is made.

16. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Agreed, that looks awesome

17. ricrery Banned Banned

Ignoring my post again? Again? AGAIN?

18. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Are you kidding? I totally posted spoilers for you! I don't do that for anybody!

19. ricrery Banned Banned

Hey, Shogun agreed that was a good cover, and I think so too.

20. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

21. ricrery Banned Banned

Stop teasing me Hugh Howey!

22. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It's a good cover, though I'd be surprised it was sci-fi and not horror. The picture is great, though it could stand to have some scifi element thrown in. Perhaps have some of the vines and weeds be metallic cabling, with occasional led lights, and entwining one of the legs...something.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Don't like the black text in post #37. Try some other colour.