Could the earth stop spinning one day??

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Vega, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Balerion Banned Banned

The Native Americans having accounts that "The Sun Went Black At Noon"...um, any chance that could be a solar friggin' eclipse?

Duh.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vega Banned Banned

I think global catastrophies like the Ice age was a result of a close encounter with another object!!.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

No mechanism for the stoppage? That's a pretty hyperbolic statement. We are not talking about theoretical analyses of orbital mechanics that treat planets and stars as if they are point sources of gravitation, a treatment that might not be all that workable even under normal circumstances. We are talking fluid dynamics now, the effects that cause tidal waves a thousand feet high thousands of miles away when a piece of an island drops into the ocean.

The "energy released" is a red herring that anyone should be ashamed to employ. Energy is exchanged between two closely approaching bodies according to rules that do not include huge flashes of light that magically appear during the exchange of kinetic energy, and yes I do accuse naysayers from the so-called scientific community of resorting to magic to try to refute ideas.

"No proven mechanism" does not mean the same thing as "no mechanism." So-called scientists want to declare doors closed when they have no idea if their declarations are legitimate. It may well be far too much work for a modern scientist, equipped with modern tools, credibility, and a bad attitude, to actually test his own declarations. The usual attitude is that they don't have to. We are left with the destruction of the credibility of people and ideas by people who won't check their own work and whose work is faulty and even deliberately dishonest.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Works fine for astrophysicists. Obviously physicists studying the close-in interactions of massive bodies use the distributed properties of the bodies. There's a big difference you know between I = mr<sup>2</sup> and I = 2/5 mr<sup>2</sup> (moments of inertia for a point source and a uniform sphere, respectively. Guess what? The earth isn't a uniform sphere! Physicists get this too and use even more sophisticated models of the earth. Amazing, isn't it.)

Fluid dynamics? I thought we were talking about ways to stop the earths rotation and magically restart it a day later. As for your tidal wave, it's all about the energy released by the falling mass of land and the effect of that energy on the fluid medium, isn't it?

Physics is about almost nothing but energy my friend. How it gets into a system, how it gets out of a system, how it moves in the system, how it affects the system and so forth. It's the most fundamental concept in physics. It's vital for analyzing any physical system. Hope this helps.

Oh boy. Another free-thinking genius who has no clue about how scientists work. I didn't close any doors bub. I asked you a simple question. Provide something other than ancient anecdotes that suggest there is amazing new physics to be discovered that would account for the stoppage and subsequent restarting of a body as massive as the earth in a single day, without releasing enough energy to render the surface of the planet molten, which it would, if not outright rip chunks off.

Oh brother. Another one with scientist envy and still no clue about what science does and how it works.

And by the way, OMG, who's making the declarations? You're the one making declarations bub. You support it with some credible theoretical basis. All I'm saying is that in the universe as we know it, large planetary bodies don't get stopped and restarted in 24hrs, let alone do it without total destruction. All we really have to do is sit back and sip tea until you come up with something better.

I would be glad to help educate you in the ways of science if you wish to listen.

8. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I don't envy you with your head that far up your ass.

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

You've got to be kidding.

That from one who can't even answer a simple physics question. I actually do envy you MK. I sometimes wish I was that ignorant. You must be fairly blissful, huh?

10. Vega Banned Banned

MetaKron & superluminal ,

Guys!!,.. listen lets keep personal comments aside and debate the issue not insult one another, this is a scientific forum so therefore lets just put our facts in theories onto the table and avoid any further verbal skirmishes!!

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Hi Vega,

I guess you're right. Tell MK to stop, or I'm gonna tell mom. Besides, he started it. *stomps off - wipes nose*

12. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Part of your problem is being a dickhead. Another part of your problem is that you don't know when you act like a dickhead. Your kind of science may include some legitimate work but it mostly consists of being nasty to anyone who doesn't agree with you. You even start fights on other threads and it's your attitude, not their alleged ignorance.

You also are not a real scientist.

13. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The one biggest clue I have about science is that when a scientist declares something to be a fact, he has to be able to test it in some way or the other. Superluminal can't test his notion that there is no mechanism for stopping the rotation of the Earth. The current state of science does not include the comprehensive knowledge of the workings of the Earth's interior that this kind of declaration would require. When I pointed this out, he copped an attitude. I'm sure that he thinks I started it and now he can act like a spoiled teenager for the rest of the conversation but still expect to be regarded as a serious scientist.

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

True, but I play one on TV...

So, any actual physics to share with us, Einstein?

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

First, I did not make any positive claim, sir. You gentlemen are making the claims, and all I said was "there's no known mechanism". That's it. The one biggest clue I have about science is that the burden of proof rests with the one making the claim. That would be you fine gentlemen.

"The earth stopped for a day" or "The sun stood still". However you like to phrase it. I said "there's no known mechanism" and you, fine sir, responded with, (let me grab it from your post) "In other words, Superluminal, you don't know what you're talking about".

If you wish, we can continue with flaming, in which case I will be more than happy to oblige, Mr. MetaKron. It's no secret that I don't much care for people with no knowledge of science or physics making statements the way you do, gentle sir.

16. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Whatever.

17. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Your willingness to listen over forming an arrogant opinion is most admirable.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

The missing day is an urban legend;
    see Snopes page on this subject
    http://www.snopes.com/religion/lostday.htm
    Although the notion of a "lost day" in time has been circulating for well over a century, the version cited here — the one that has been bedevilling NASA since the 1960s — achieved pre-eminence through the tireless efforts of Mr. Harold Hill, who was indeed both a real person and the President of the Curtis Engine Company. However, he had no real connection to NASA, he was not a "consultant in the space program," and he did not witness the events described. Mr. Hill heard a "lost day" legend that had been circulating for many years, embellished it with some details about NASA scientists, and delighted in repeating it when speaking before school groups. His version of the legend made its way into various church bulletins and was eventually picked up and spread by the mainstream media as well, and he devoted a whole chapter to it in his 1974 book, How to Live Like a King’s Kid. (This book lent additional credibility to his tenuous NASA connections — and thus to the legend itself -- when he stated that he "was involved [in the space program] from the start, through contractual arrangements with my company." His "involvement" was merely that the Curtis Engine Company had a contract with NASA to service electrical generators.) Even Hill's admission that he hadn't actually witnessed the events he described clearly wasn't intended to dissuade anyone from believing in the literal truthfulness of his story: "[M]y inability to furnish documentation of the 'Missing day' incident in no way detracts from its authenticity."

19. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Superluminal does not want to recognize that he makes a fantastic claim when he says that there is no mechanism for stopping the rotation of the Earth and restarting it. This is different from the statement "there is no known mechanism" which is the only thing that a real scientist could say unless there is a known mechanism.

I do not have to prove the statement that "we don't know that it can't." This is no fantastic affirmative claim. This simply recognizes the fact that science is nowhere near certain enough about anything to be so arrogant. I also do not have to prove speculations that say that there might be a mechanism if you treat the problem a certain way. My lack of proof of such a statement does not mean that it is wrong. It just means that it is unproven.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

How retarded! From the first link:

"We, too, have heard an "urban legend" about scientists at NASA GSFC finding the "missing day" in computer calculations of the motions of the planets. The legend has been around for longer than NASA itself, but turned into a NASA "event" sometime in the 60's. The story goes that some scientists were doing orbital mechanics calculations to determine the positions of the planets in the future, for use in determining the trajectories of future satellite missions. They realized they were off by a day. A biblical scholar in the lot remembered the passage from Joshua and all was set right. But these events, in fact, never occurred. It is easy to understand why:

The "GSFC finds missing day" urban legend doesn't make sense for the following reason. If we want to know where the planets will be in the future, we use accurate knowledge of their initial positions and orbital speeds (which would be where they are located now), and solve for their positions for some time in the future. We solve a very well determined set of equations that describe their motions. The major dynamical component of any planet's orbital motion is determined by solving an equation (force is equal to the mass times the acceleration) which is the perhaps the most fundamental in classical physics. The validity and predictive power of this equation are well documented and can be seen every day: a recent example is the lunar eclipse that was visible to much of the world last Sunday. This calculation would not cover any time before the present, so some missing day many centuries ago, if it had occurred, could not be uncovered with this method. "

That's a big DUH!!!!!

21. Vega Banned Banned

Is that supposed to be an intelligent response??

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Um...did you actually read your own link? The NASA page explains why this "story" is untrue.

23. Vega Banned Banned

Nasa has a history of announcing things and later denying its existence!!,.. just like the pictures taken by the viking space probe sent to mars in the 70s.