Corrupted registry

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Naat, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

Good news everyone,

My computer encountered corrupted registry problem and my Windows XP pro is unable to start. ( I had the "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM " one)

Microsoft also states the codes to fix it. I can create md tmp, then things get wierd.
    Line " copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak"
    gives "unable to open file "c:\windows\tmp\system.bak"

Line "dir c:\windows\repair\system\"
    gives - file not found ( which I think is wierd)
    --

Line "dir c:\windows\system32\config\"
    gives - file not found

Some computer genius please help me :bawl:
    I just whant to get some of the files back from the hard drive.

Kind regards,
    Naat

---
    Okey,
    Formatted one of the partitions I had and installed XP again. The other partition (where all my goodies are) is shown but not accecable.
    Computer wants to format it, any idea how could I get my data back from there?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

On my older XP system I have the Main drive and two drives acting as one in a RAID array. I have reinstalled the OS on the C: drive once, and after the install was finished I could still access my D: drives data.

If you have removed your Partition table from your D: drive then your Data is nearly as good as lost (unless you use a partition recovery program). The things that are lost on a clean install however are the Registry entries and maybe a few installed files for uninstallation of programs etc.

It's a tiresome process to reinstall programs and it can actually be a greater one trying to just patch the registry back up.

What I usually do is set all installed programs to my RAID array rather than the default of C:/program files , on reinstall of the OS on C: I take a backup of the Registry and my User accounts as well as the System/System32 folder. I can then format C: and once a reinstall has occurred I can go through the Registry to decide what keys I can copy back to the new clean registry and what Files need to be copied from my System/System32 backup.

Some programs will run without the registry entries and will even fix registry errors or driver files on execution, others however will jut start coughing up errors and will need to be deleted then reinstalled. (Copying the Registry can be handy for dealing with some of the Licenses you have for programs that you can't remember the details of)

Btw it's always a good idea to back up your registry every so often just in case something like this happens (Or you install something that you shouldn't of like a virus/trojan or uninstall a program that had licence data saved and you've lost the licence information)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you are in C: and you use MD tmp, then you are going to make the directory C:/tmp

If you wanted to follow that line of code you would have to be in the C:/Windows directory before MD tmp is called, otherwise the Folder will not exist where it's suppose to. If the folder doesn't exist you won't be able to copy files to it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.