Correlation between stupidity and obesity

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Syzygys, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

If that's a serious question, then yes, it is highly heritable.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Actually, identical twin studies have indicated that intelligence as measured by IQ, is beyond any doubt inherited. Identical twins, among other traits, have nearly identical IQs. It's almost like the same person taking the test twice. Even the results of a person taking an IQ test twice won't create a perfect correlation of 1. But yes, identical twins have very similar IQs--even when reared in different households.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Of course it's serious.

We know that certain traits that are heritable are correllated with other indicator traits. It could well be that a genetic predisposition to obesity is genetically linked to lower general IQ.

But is there any direct evidence to support this idea, given our poor understanding of the factors that influence IQ?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I agree.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is the proportion of variation in IQ in a population attributable to genetic differences?

I don't know, have they found the gene(s) for IQ?

9. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I still don't really understand your point. I don't know for sure what would happen if you substituted IQ with education. My GUESS is that level of education will correlate with many of the other variables I mentioned. Perhaps because a person who is very highly educated is likely not a dumb person, and also has good genetics, and so on. So what?

10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Unknown and No.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

OK, how does that apply to twins where one is white, the other black?

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How different were the households? Was one of the twins poorly educated with poor nutrition and brought up without access to those factors which stimulate cognitive development while the other had the benefits of good nutrition and education?

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

It is known that IQ can change over a persons lifetime, flattening out as one approaches their 30's. Environment and heredity clearly both play a role, but the difficulty of 1) measuring "IQ" coupled with 2) the incredible interdependence of environmental variables, makes determining the exact ratio extremely difficult. This is why it's still such a controversial subject among scientists.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So have they compared whites and blacks with equivalent education and socio-economic status to test for differences in IQ?

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Clearly they are not identical twins in this case. They do not share an identical genome.

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yes.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And what of the effects of environmental changes on IQ?
    http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/philo/faculty/block/papers/Heritability.html

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But will they have the same intelligence? By our resident racist's assumptions, the white one will be smarter and more sucessful.

19. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yes. What indeed.

20. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I think scientists have. IQs of whites and blacks who have the same socio-economic status (SES) have been compared in studies. Same with SATs. And yes, whites do better. But I don't really know why you're asking me this question.

My main point is that IQ correlates with the good things in life. The higher your IQ, the better things tend to be. You have a higher IQ, you enjoy a better job, you're more productive, you're more physically attractive (IQ correlates with body symmetry), you have a smarter wife and smarter children, you are just more fit. Obesity is one of those things that's not considered a good thing in life. So, it makes sense that smarter people tend to be less obese than dummies. Intelligence is an indicator of good genes, like it or not.

21. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I agree.

Notice that he is using the word tends in the proper way. Obviously there are exceptions in abundance. But the tendency for those with higher IQ's to "do better" is undisputed.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

1973? The Weschler scale?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Whatever. I'm not a psychologist, and neither are you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.