Correlation between stupidity and obesity

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Syzygys, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Oh I didn't see that. Yes indeed!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

From the quoted link:

"By studying the records of more than 1400 men and women, Professor Merrill Elias and colleagues at the University of Boston found that men classified as clinically obese appear to have significantly reduced mental agility. Curiously, fat women did not suffer the same fate."

It is indeed very interesting.

Also I think it is the other way around dumber people tend to be more fat and not fatness make you dumber. Well, maybe you get lazier and educate yourself less...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Fat people are also generally lazy which means that will eat fast foods.

Also the main reason for being over weight is not the amount of food you eat but the type.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Question:

Are the fat people generally lower-income? The lower-income brackets tend to have several things going against them:

1. They are more likely to have a criminal record.
    2. They are more likely to be a minority.
    3. They are more likely to be stupid.
    4. They are more likely to be uneducated.
    5. They are less likely to have been properly fed as children.

I think something must be said for those heavier people who eat well and get fat and those who eat badly and get fat. Someone who eats chocolate cakes v. someone who eats steaks will be dramatically different in terms of their health, despite the fact that both will end up fat.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Nah he just has big bones

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Evidence?

10. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iq

Most people would do well to read this article in its entirety.

These findings are true in my experience. People I know whom I admire a lot tend to be really smart--as in high in IQ. Those people tend to be better people than others. And there's a tendency that these people are not just smarter. They're actually better people. They are more beautiful. They are more fit. They have better attitudes. They're more healthy, energetic, passionate, conscientious, harder working, more talented in the things they do--they're just better. I don't really get it. It's like there's some underlying factor. It's like there's some single factor that causes people to be better.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

There are so many things wrong with the statistics on IQ and wealth on this page, I don't even know where to begin.

Suffice to say that the direction of the correlation is the first thing that comes to mind.

i.e. does education improve IQ or IQ improve education?

And with that assumption, the entire premise of the study falls apart.

In other words, how do these people ever pass peer review?

PS. Correlation is NOT causation

12. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

What are some things that are wrong with the statistics?

It probably goes both ways.
    Of what study in particular? It's a Wikipedia article. It's basically a summary of findings in the scientific community.

Whom are you talking about? The people who write these articles? There's nothing really controversial about what's being said in those articles. If something were patently false and unverified, it would probably be deleted. From what I've seen, all of the stuff in the article just describes and paraphrases the findings in scientific studies for easy use.

I know. But I find it curious how many things IQ positively correlates with. It makes me think there's an underlying factor somewhere. You didn't make mention of any of the other things IQ correlates with, like job performance, health, IQ of spouse and children, education, socioeconomic status. I'm not saying intelligence makes a person healthy. I'm saying that perhaps there's an underlying factor that causes a person to be healthy AND intelligent AND have more education AND be better at his job AND have more money AND have higher longevity AND etc.

13. J.B Banned Banned

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You're such an asshole.

15. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

That may be the truth. However, his contribution is still relevant.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The statements of sociopaths are not relevent.

Research on bread indicates that:

1. More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.
    2. Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.
    3. In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth; and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, and influenza ravaged whole nations.

4. More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.
    5. Bread is made from a substance called "dough." It has been proven that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse. The average American eats more bread than that in one month!

6. Primitive tribal societies that have no bread exhibit a low incidence of cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, and osteoporosis.
    7. Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread and given only water to eat begged for bread after as little as two days.
    8. Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter, and even cold cuts.
    9. Bread has been proven to absorb water. Since the human body is more than 90 percent water, it follows that eating bread could lead to your body being taken over by this absorptive food product, turning you into a soggy, gooey bread-pudding person.

10. Newborn babies can choke on bread.
    11. Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit! That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.
    12. Most American bread eaters are utterly unable to distinguish between significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling.

17. J.B Banned Banned

Don't make me bust out the IQ charts.

18. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

That's what you really should have done. Like, have a chart of IQs by race right next to the chart of obesity proportions by race. That way it would be pertinent to the thread.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You missed my point.

If you substitute IQ with education in ANY of the variables, what are the results?

It's not rocket science

20. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Sam you are so cute but you will never make a science man.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah I'm obviously wasting my time not realising that every variable is independent. I foolishly keep insisting that variables are dependent and must be corrected for interactions. Woe is me.

22. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Yeah Sam stop trying to think and just keep looking pretty.

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Is IQ heritable?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.