corporal punishment

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by tjt517, Aug 20, 2004.

1. tjt517 Registered Member

Do you think that corporal punishment should be outlawed?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

it isn't outlawed?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

Only if it is going to happen to me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

NOT in paraguay.

Actually, I wouldn't know.
    Is there anywhere where its not illegal to hunt human beings with dogs? I seriously would like to know for my next vacation.

8. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

Wait I am confused are you worried about being hunted or planning to "do a little huntin'" during your next vacation?

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I don't think you should go to south america if you get scared easily.

10. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Yes, corporal punishment should be illegal. Some people enforcing the punishment end up doing more punishment then necessary, injuring the person and maybe even scarring them emotionally and spiritually, if not physically as well.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

but is it legal?

I guess there is the death penalty in the US. That is also corporal punishment i guess.

12. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I heard they have corporal punishment in the schools in the southern states of the United States. We Yankees evolved past that, but the Dixies are in our dust.

13. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Sorry to any Southerners that may have offended.

14. vslayer Registered Senior Member

only in america would children still be denied the international bill of childrens rights.

as for corporal punishment, it is still legal in a lot of militaries, last time i checked it was legal in america but it might have changed since then

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

16. Facial Valued Senior Member

Seriously, the US heavily looks down on children. 'Minors' may not do this or that, etc, etc.

17. Stokes Pennwalt Nuke them from orbit. Registered Senior Member

It should not be outlawed completely. To an extent it is probably ok.

I never have and never will employ it as a reprimand with any of my kids, because I believe it doesn't do a good job of teaching them why what they did was wrong. I prefer "I won't do this because <insert logical reasoning>" to "I won't do this because I don't want dad to throttle me".

But some parents prefer it, and that is their business. The government has no right to tell me how to raise my children, nor yours.

The only time they do is when the line is crossed into outright malice and physical abuse.

18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I think that Society (represented by Government, like it or not) has every right to set standards for how its members are conditioned.

But then, I also think that all parents should be required to prove their capacity to transform an infant into a mentally healthy adult, or surrender them to institutional childcare.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(No... not really)

19. beyondtimeandspace Everlasting Student Registered Senior Member

Corporal punishment, in the wisdom of many ancient religions and philosophies has always been acceptible. It is only in our age that it has become an issue, and I believe that to be arrogant. When a child is old enough to understand WHY he should not perform any given action, then that child should receive a different form of punishment, as well as an explanation as to why that action should not be done. Prior to this time, a child without the mental capacity to understand why certain things should not be done need only be shown that it mustn't be done. Children of this age respond best to two forms of actions. Physical pain, or bribery. While I know physical pain passes, and the child grows up with the knowledge that its parents did not punish him in that form out of malice, but rather out of love (at least that is the understanding that I, and my siblings had). Bribery, however, can be more damaging, since it teaches children values of deception, rather than honesty.

In my limited experience, I have seen those who received corporal punishment as children to have a stronger character, a better sense of moral decency, as well as a deep love for their parents than those who went without. I'm not saying that such things cannot be accomplished without corporal punishment, only that in my experience the effects are surer with corporal punishment.