Coolest Movie Quotes of all time

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by BenTheMan, Apr 15, 2007.

1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Consider context, pop cuture value, and overall coolness.

"Sometimes nothin is a real cool hand."
    ---Cool Hand Luke ("Cool Hand Luke")

""Well, a wiser fellow than myself once said, sometimes you eat the bahr and sometimes the bahr well, he eats you."
    ---The Stranter ("The Big Lebowski")

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Long ago, when my unit deployed, we set up a POC and each team had to dig a fighting position (foxhole). In the area of the Mid East we were in, you would dig a foot or so and hit a hard clay.

After about an hour of digging and picking at it, my young lieutenant came by and said, "what are you doing, Sergeant?"

My reply was, "just gittin' my dirt outta the boss' hole, boss."

He obviously wasn't a Cool Hand Luke fan and could only say, "huh?"

I've always hated that the only time I've ever been able to legitimately use that line was when there was no one else around but him.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

"if bud goes along with this they'll have to shoot her with a tranquilizer gun"
    from the movie "the abyss".

8. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Yeah red---that one's pretty high on my list too.

As we all remember, the punk wasn't lucky.

10. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Yeah I hate this. Or thinking of a really clever joke and then never getting a chance to work it into conversation.

11. Redefine91 I piss excellence Registered Senior Member

"I am just going to say now that if you utter one more syllable I will shoot you in the face"

From Dusk till Dawn

"If you could fight one person in history, who'd it be"
    "Me? I'd fight Ghandi."
    "good answer."

Fight Club

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

"What we got here is...a failure to communicate"

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I'd fight Gandhi. I'd kick his ass.

14. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Ok---ALL the quotes don't have to come from Cool Hand Luke, although it was a bad ass movie.

15. Tom2 Registered Senior Member

From The Empire Strikes Back:

Leia: "I love you."
    Han: "I know."

*snort*

Cracks me up every time.

From Goodfellas:

Jimmy (to Henry): "I'm not mad at you, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man, and you learned the two greatest things in life. Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut."

I would think that the second would preclude the first...
    And you say Jimmy never finished middle school? Get out.

From Jaws:

Chief Brody (upon first seeing the shark): "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

From Shaun of the Dead:

Ed (after Shaun's breakup with Liz): " Can I just say one more thing? I'm not gonna say, you know, there's plenty more fish in the sea. I'm not going to say if you love her, let her go. And I'm not going to bombard you with cliches. But what I will say is this: It's not the end of the world."

(followed by a zombie's moan)

16. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

"Gooooooooooooo! Runnnnnnnnnnnn! Get to the chopper!"

17. Tom2 Registered Senior Member

My two favorite lines from that movie were from Jesse Ventura.

"I ain't got time to bleed."

"This stuff (chewing tobacco) will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, like me."

18. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

"Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most...human."

19. John99 Banned Banned

Every minute I stay in this room I get weaker. And every minute
    Charlie squats in the bush he gets stronger.

COLONEL KURTZ-
    " I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my
    dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a
    straight razor, and surviving. "

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

"i'm a doctor, not a bricklayer"
    "he's dead jim"
    "beam me up scotty"
    all from star trek.

21. John99 Banned Banned

Heres a good start:

Travis Bickle: Shit... I'm waiting for the sun to shine.

Travis Bickle: One of these days I gotta get myself organizized.
    Betsy: Organizized? Dont you mean organized?
    Travis Bickle: No, organizized. It's a joke.
    Betsy: Oh, like those signs that says, "Thimk".

Travis Bickle: I think someone should just take this city and just... just flush it down the fuckin' toilet.

Travis Bickle: June twenty-ninth. I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body. Too much abuse has gone on for too long. From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization. Every muscle must be tight.

Personnel Officer: How's your driving record? Clean?
    Travis Bickle: It's clean, real clean. Like my conscience.

Some MORE:

Travis Bickle: Twelve hours of work and I still can't sleep. Damn. Days go on and on. They don't end.

Travis Bickle: I first saw her at Palantine Campaign headquarters at 63rd and Broadway. She was wearing a white dress. She appeared like an angel. Out of this filthy mess, she is alone. They... cannot... touch... her.

Travis Bickle: I'll tell you why. I think you're a lonely person. I drive by this place a lot and I see you here. I see a lot of people around you. And I see all these phones and all this stuff on your desk. It means nothing. Then when I came inside and I met you, I saw in your eyes and I saw the way you carried yourself that you're not a happy person. And I think you need something. And if you want to call it a friend, you can call it a friend.
    Betsy: Are you gonna be my friend?
    Travis Bickle: Yeah.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  22. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

"You're an interesting species. An interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other. "
    -Contact

"He attacked me. There I am - somehow, there I am - and I couldn't tell you... couldn't tell you how I'm there or who I am or what's going on. But before I can get to that, what's this over here - coming at me? What... what are you trying to do? Oh, I see, you're trying to kill me. Yeah confuse me. I'll tell you about some confusing. How about bingo, there you are. And, whoop, there's my welcoming committee, and you dropped your knife and this is a good night. And, oh, by the way, uh, after all that, I find out, this, uh... whoever this is... get my first good look in, and it happens to be... I survived the first thirty seconds of this life... whatever you want to call it... by killing someone. And, oh, ah, by killing someone who happens to be me. See most people, I would think most people in this position would be like, "This... Ah, hmm... I don't know." However, this is at least, this is an incredible opportunity. This is a... what if this is a... this is a gift? I'm a gift. Hey."
    -Solaris (This quote was probably one of my favorite performances by an actor of all time)

"You know what happens when women get together on something? All kinds of shit you can't explain happens. But good shit. Mysterious, but good. Usually very good. Things get solved. "
    -Solaris

"We take off into the cosmos, ready for anything - - solitude, hardship, exhaustion, death. We're proud of outselves. But when you think about it, our enthusiasm's a sham. We don't want other worlds; we want mirrors. "
    -Solaris

23. Redefine91 I piss excellence Registered Senior Member

"It's a terrible tradegy when a man dies well known to others, and a stranger to himself."

Amazing Grace