Consciousness is One

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Genius, Nov 13, 2012.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Apparently, it hasn't occurred to you that the thread title ''Consciousness is ONE'' has a particular monistic flavour to it.

Silly me, I thought I could make a joke on monists and someone here would actually understand.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I missed the joke.
    Care to explain it?

jan.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Genius Banned Banned

The "I" is a convenient fiction. It is pushed around by the particles in our brain.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Genius Banned Banned

You are correct.

8. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I buy into the entire "we are one", but I also think consciousness is our individual perspectives and must be many. I think our souls were all a part of one entity but have been cast out as individuals in order to experience reality. This would mean we are all connected but each of us has our own consciousness.

If we all shared the same consciousness then we would all know what everyone was doing and thinking.

9. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

This may be the philosophy forum, but you should surely still be providing a modicum of support for what is otherwise mere speculation and, at the extreme, delusional fantasy.
    Any support at all for any of this? Souls? Previously being a part of one entity? Being cast out?

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I'm hesitant to jump in on this, but what the heck. Isn't consciousness simply a point of observation? We might not observe the same thing at the same time, but don't we all have the capacity to observe? Awareness might be a better word for it. I would liken consciousness to an inner light. Stripped of all its entanglements, it probably looks the same for everyone.

11. hansda Valued Senior Member

Do you mean to say, consciousness of all living beings are same?

or,

Do you mean to say that, consciousness is one continuum?

12. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Well, how could there be more than one subject? On the subjective side there is only one consciousness, and from what I can understand there is no such thing as objective consciousness.

The question is; "how can there be more than one person, conscious at the same time?"

I think the answer is, that there is only one person conscious and that is the subject, whoever that is. That would mean that each person will be conscious as every other. So there is a kind of queue where each person gets to live the life of all other persons.

That would also mean that before or after your life you have actually been the person you are talking to

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, so you're basically talking to yourself at different settings all the time.

You have to take into consideration that there is no "before" or "after" in nothing, so there is no "before you were born" or "after you die", that's how you can exist as different persons at the same time, but only experience your subjective self at any one life.

I guess that it is either that or that there are souls, and each are given a unique subjectivity, but without souls I don't think that there are any objective subjects.

There is also a problem consisting of "what is it that chooses the life that you are going to live next?", this is a big problem for my idea, which makes it just as plausible to believe that there are souls, cause both ideas have to introduce unphysical entities or processes (nothing can get as unphysical as a process happening in "physical nothing"). If you can think of a third possibility then I'm all ears.

13. rr6 Banned Banned

Whales semi-asleep and awake sometimes.

Buddha, isn't it whales-- and/or other cetaceans --who have it both ways? As I recall, some or all whales have one part( half? ) of their brain asleep while the other havlf( part) is semi-conscious?

I forget but I think it has to do with then getting air while their asleep.

I also think I've seen some info that show whales--- If not also other cetaceans --sleeping in vertical position, and this keeps their head ergo their blowhole not to far from the surface. So maybe the bob in out of the water when sleeping. I dunno. Lot of recall info.

R6

14. rr6 Banned Banned

One Consciouness many Subconscious'es ?

If our finite, occupied space Universe, is considered to be conscious, then yes there exists only one grand/great/overall consciousness, composed of many sub-parts or is that sub-conscious'es....ha ha!

H,mm that is a new way of looking at it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

R6