Consciousness after "death"

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Kellisness, Mar 8, 2011.

1. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

No, I knew that one and all the rest about consciousness. If senses didn't really do anything, then that would be the greatest hoax of all time.

We also know that all is real because we use what is 'out there' to make devices out there that function out there.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kellisness Registered Senior Member

I also see the brain as a computer, or to put it another way, I see the brain / mind / body system as a computer, with consciousness as the operator.

Dywydyr, sorry which question are you referring to? I'm not ignoring you, let's not get melodramatic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

My questions:
    Why are you certain?
    And what sort of "energy"?

Spidergoat's:
    How deteriorated?

Glaucon's:
    Are you "certain" or is that your belief?
    You're assuming that "consciousness" is something that is not physical. If so, please explain this assumption.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

9. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

If I'm still concious after I die, I'm gonna be really really pissed..

10. drumbeat Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but I meant do you believe animals consciences lives on forever?

And so after all species are extinct, do you believe they all have an on-going consciousness?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  11. Rav Valued Senior Member

I think you mean consciousness, unless you are asking if extinct species still retain a sense of right and wrong.

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Hey!
    How many dead people (or animals) commit a crime?
    Surely that's proof enough that dying gives you a conscience.

13. Rav Valued Senior Member

At that point you could always just choose to haunt someone you really hate, endlessly. That might be fun for a while.

14. Rav Valued Senior Member

I never thought of that. That would make capital punishment a form of rehabilitation.

15. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Since OBEs can be chemically induced, they are only of the brain, and not a journey out of the body.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Exactly. Kill everyone and we can, er, live in a peaceful harmonious society.

17. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

I had an OBE and was lucky enough to see my dream arm diverging from my real arm while in some halfway state.

Another time, I was able to keep some dream music playing for several seconds by trying to be still and not all amazed.

18. Rav Valued Senior Member

Chemically induced indeed. All the best ones I experienced were in my late teens. In fact of possible relevance to this discussion is the fact that on one particular occasion I was actually trying to rationally determine whether or not I was actually still alive, which is a kind of philosophical absurdity (although it seemed critically important at the time). I also have a friend who insists that while under the influence of an extract of a certain plant belonging to the solanaceae family, his ability to recognize that he was still conscious vanished.

But, well, that was a long time ago.

19. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I loled.

20. gmilam Valued Senior Member

21. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

well.... there was a guy (who's name I forget at the moment. If anyone knows refresh my memory please cause its killing me) who studied the activity of the brain by imposing stimuli on decapitated heads. The most he got was blinking eyes a couple of seconds after the beheading, so I suppose their is a "little" truth to this. Still no electrical signals means no consciousness. So as soon as the thalamus uses up its remaining electric potentials on thoughts like:

"OH my god my head is not on my body!!!"

Your pretty much dead without any quotation marks.

22. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I am certain that you are not conscious when you are sleeping and not dreaming; therefore, I am certain that the brain is solely responsible for your consciousness. Should your brain be completely destroyed, you will never again achieve consciousness.

23. Kellisness Registered Senior Member

Not dreaming? Why do you believe that?