Connotations

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by BenTheMan, Jul 10, 2009.

1. tuberculatious Banned Banned

Your bank account is more complete with a Lada.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I keep my vegetables in mine.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

But not just anyone can influence popular usage - there are authorities, in the literal sense, behind the fads and changes. As well as in front of the curbing of them.

There are people, and they are found in all walks of life, that everyone just seems to accept as being right about words.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Why not? It's an adverb. "Indeed" by itself is a one-word sentence expressing agreement with and reinforcement of what was just said.
    I didn't say that "replete" was "more complete;" I said that it was "more than complete." A Lada has everything a car needs in order to function as transportation, so it is complete. But a top-end Mercedes is replete with luxuries.

BTW, Ladas are not available in the USA; apparently our authorities do not consider them complete automobiles after all. We can buy the SmartCar, a Mercedes with training wheels.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sure. (An adjective pressed into service as an adverb, another one-word sentence expressing agreement with what was just said, but stopping short of reinforcement.) People mimic the speech of Winston Churchill and Jay-Z. But atrocities like "snuck," "dove" and "between you and I" prove that hoi polloi also have influence in aggregate.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think you missed post 17 though

Anyway, couldn't one also say "That Mercedes is complete with luxuries" ?
    Perhaps it's just that we (the Dutch) don't have a word for it..

Haha

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well that was just my off-the-cuff term for the concept. Nonetheless as a lifetime owner of five Mercedes I can attest to their accomodations going beyond mere completeness. My 1979 300SD was a gigantic road yacht ostensibly in a class with Cadillacs, yet it had a turning radius equivalent to many subcompacts, making it easy to navigate cramped European parking lots designed for Fiats.
    But how many luxuries constitute completeness? The Toyota Lexus is classified as a "luxury car" but it falls short of the Rolls Royce standard. (No bud vase.)

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think this may be due to language differences..
    In Dutch we say: "Kompleet met [whatever] (complete with [whatever])," which means it's complete plus additional [whatever].
    I don't think we have a word that means the same as 'replete'.

11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

-=-

Replete is complete except that it deals with whatever is specified while complete covers everything related regardless of whether they're mentioned.
    I may say Mr X is replete with bullshit, meaning he is full of it or that Mr X is a complete moron, meaning he has all the qualities or ingredients which constitute a moron.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Could 'replete with' then mean 'overflowing with', for example ?

13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

-=-

Replete concerns only the thing mentioned. Overflowing goes beyond the thing mentioned.
    Leaf Bay is replete with catfish. Leaf bay overflowed & destroyed 11 cabins.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm ok, I don't think I'll ever use that word.. :bugeye:

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

-=-

Teeming or abundant should suffice.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Your model sentence should be: "This car is replete with extra features." The point is that replete implies qualities, functions, components, etc., that are not required for the subject to be complete, but increase its value or desirability over that of one that is merely complete.

A car that doesn't have a heater or an air conditioner (at this latitude) is not complete. But a car that has heated seats to warm you up quickly on a winter night, and leather seats that won't burn your skin after being parked outside on a hot summer day, is replete with comfortable accessories.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Fraggle, I understand what you're saying. But I'm afraid I'm a lost cause with this

Thanks for the explanations though

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

The definition of replete has nothing at all to do with value or desirability being increased or decreased. The subjective conclusion could be either or neither. There isn't even any absurd common connotation of it.
    Cars do not require heaters or airconditioners to be complete. Heated seats would decrease desirability.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

But are still fitted to some top-end cars.

20. tuberculatious Banned Banned

Because only high school children start sentences with indeed. I have never seen indeed in a memo or report.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

They do in the United States and in any country with what we consider a First-World per-capita GDP. We all have heaters and/or air conditioners in our homes and we're not about to get into a car, which can be much colder or hotter, as the case may be, that doesn't have one.

In most of the country we need both, although in the California redwood forest there is no need for air conditioning in homes or cars and in the extreme southern parts of Texas or Florida they don't need heaters. But no one could live without heat in Eureka and they would not live without air conditioning in Corpus Christi or Miami. Houses have only the appliances they need, but all cars marketed in America have both.

I had a perfectly nice 1980 Mercedes here in Washington that ran great but the heater and air conditioning failed irreparably. I had to sell it for parts.
    My new Mercedes has them and they're worth the money on one of our 18-degree (-7C) winter nights. My friend has them in her Buick and that's hardly a "top-end" car.

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The first heated seats I ever saw were in an old Saab - and the first thing I thought was, why in hell don't American cars come with them. But then I remembered not everyone lives in Minnesota or Sweden.

No car is complete without a heating or other device that prevents ice buildup on the windshield wipers. Which is to say that no car I have ever ridden in is complete. Nevertheless, many are replete with adornments, fuzzy dice being merely an introduction to the panoply.