Connect a motor to an apparatus securely

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by GetLastError, May 2, 2015.

1. GetLastError Registered Member

Hi,

I'm working on some CNC parts for a device... I need to attach a DC motor securely to a vertical rod, the motor will be at the bottom facing downwards.

How would you attach a DC motor such as this one?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

It is clearly intended to turn the big gear (not shown) of a "worm gear set." I.e. it will give a great "step down" in RPM and nearly the same step up in torque.* Also this slower rotating shaft will be at right angle to the motor shaft. You may need to move the helical "worm" shown to the other end of the motor shaft to get enough clearance for the bigger gear (or even extend that shaft).

* For example, if the bigger gear has 60 teeth, then the RPM goes down by factor of 60 as each 360 turn of the motor shaft moves the edge of the bigger gear forward by one tooth.

What does CNC stand for? What is your application?

I'm not sure, but think you need a mounting "base plate" which has been drilled with drill of diameter D such that:
    18 < D < 20mm that then you file down to make four 90 degree corners that snug fit your motor.

15.5x square root of 2 is just less than 22mm, the diagonal of your motor.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd need to know what you are attaching it to. Can you provide a picture of it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GetLastError Registered Member

Hi, Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm looking to connect the motor itself, not the shaft...

I found a solution to my problem, I ordered a different DC motor that has holes for screws which makes assembly much easier

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

CNC stands for Computerized Numerical Control which is a generic name for automated manufacturing of parts / devices / etc...

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks for very interesting video. It shows how far fabrication has advanced. I can appreciate this much more than most as I had an experimental 5-year course called Engineering Physic at Cornell. Program was soon cancelled as more than half my class transferred out to easier 4-year programs like Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical engineering. It was very tough program with quite a few classes being taken by graduate students too. I don't think the US has ever since or before offered such a great undergraduate educational opportunity. I worked like "two dogs" to graduate as needed to hold a GPA = or > 80 to keep my full needs scholarship.

In one of my many labs I learned how to use all machine tools and even how to make the cutting tools the lathe uses. I made a 28 tooth gear with the indexing milling machine, and a "tighting bolt" (hexagonal mid section with one end a clockwise thread and other a counter clockwise threaded bolt about inch in diameter and several inches long on each end). Both were made from metal blanks I had made in another lab the year before with "green sand" casting techniques. ( I also cast a lead tip for my small sail boat's wooden center board, which always "floated up" as I came about or "jibed," using skill learned at Cornell, but that was several years later as Ph.D. student and sailing on the Chesapeake Bay.)

Point of all this is I know (or once did) my way around an analogue machine shop. So in a couple of years, working 8 hours a day,** I could do what was shown and done in your video in about an hour, I guess (not counting the time it took some human to change between the many cutting tools used.)

SUMMARY: Machining has come a long way baby!

* I worked in the research lab of a small oil company one summer between years at Cornell. People were often breaking Hg U-shaped manometers and I collected the mercury from the floor. By end of summer I had nearly a liter in small plastic flask. In Baltimore, (at JHU) years later, I traded it for some lead and the privilege of using their green sand casting facility, after making it clear I knew what I was doing. - a very good deal for them and me. At JHU, I also made the apparatus needed for my experimental Ph.D. as professor's shop time needs bumped those of a graduate down on the waiting list, by months sometimes.

** This with the highly unlikely assumption I made no mistakes and ruined the piece, like a class mate did with his 27 and a half tooth gear! I would guess that If I could live 1000 years, and worked 8 hours each day, I would have a 50/50 chance of completing one of the video job pieces with no error. - That is the fantastic advance CNC has made.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015