Confederate Flag Ban at School

Discussion in 'History' started by Orleander, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Skimpy clothes, clothes with drugs or sexual innuendo, etc are banned. I find the Confederate flag as offensive as the Nazi Flag. I think others do to. I see people wear it, have it on their vehicles, or flying outside their home and my opinion of them sinks.
    I think there are many many other ways to show Southern pride.

Tenn. teen battles school's Confederate flag ban

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Tommy DeFoe wore his Southern pride on his Confederate flag belt buckle Wednesday as he argued in federal court that a school dress code banning such items violated his free speech rights.

"I am fighting for my heritage and my rights as a Southerner and an American," said the lanky DeFoe, 18, during a break in his trial.

DeFoe says his great-great uncle served in the Confederate army and "died for the South" in the Civil War.

But heritage was not the issue for Anderson County school officials who suspended DeFoe more than 40 times before he received his certificate of completion from the county vocational school last fall.

DeFoe's trial, which began Monday and is being heard by an all-white jury, is the latest in a string of cases across the South since the 1990s challenging dress codes that banned Confederate flag apparel: a prom gown in Kentucky

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, purses in Texas, T-shirts in Kentucky, South Carolina and Georgia.

It is unusual for such cases to go to a jury trial, however. Most were settled with a payment to the plaintiffs, said DeFoe attorney Kirk Lyons, who has been involved in many of the cases as chief trial lawyer for the North Carolina-based Southern Legal Resource Center. Others were thrown out by the judge....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

The Confederate flag is a lot like that Nazi flag. Although it stands for more than just one thing and I understand that, but I used to find it really offensive especially as a child. Now I'm ashamed to say that when I see people who do brandish the flag proudly, my level of respect for them kind of drops and it makes me distrustful of them. In the back of my mind I'm afraid they might try to hang me or something. I know its terrible of me to make crude judgements like that, but still...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

interesting, to be honest i dont understand your point oreander, is it because the south surported slavery?

i just wonder because i have a pin with the eureca stockade flag which was a symbol of rebellion against the victorian goverment (this was before australia was united). It also is the adopted symbol of the union movement. The aborigional and torris straight island flags are flown on lots of public buildings ect

As for the bans on "skimpy clothing" i find that more wrong

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Personally, I found the memorials commemorating those who fought the Indians in the US very offensive. Who needs a reminder of that?

I don't see any problem with the confederate flag. Why should a flag be banned?

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

hell i have seen australia's enermies marching alongside our own vets in ANZAC day marches. The germans, the north vietamies, the japanise. Its not for us to say there SOLDERS were unheroic, only that there goverments were wrong

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Depends on which side of the fence you are. I've seen Australian troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

10. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

The Confederate flag is a symbol of states's rights which is the opposite of totalitarianism...

11. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Did you know that there were over 95,000 Black Confederates in the War of Yankee Aggression?

Many Free men of Color, many of them slaves, but all supporting their Country, as short lived as it was.

I was born in the North and raised and educated there, and in my youth I was anti Confederacy, but in my age, I found that there was a lot more to the Civil War than is commonly shown in the School History and politically correct T.V. programs.

The Battle Flag, a military symbol of Duty, Honor, Country, flew at the head of all Confederate Troops, and formations, White and Black, and yes there were Black Companies, and Battalions, and they fought for their country, with honor and loyalty, they were even awarded pensions from the southern State for their service after that War along with the White who supported the Southern Cause.

These are the Flags of the Confederate State of America;

12. tim840 Registered Senior Member

The Confederate Flag is a symbol of slavery and the oppression of an entire race of people. It is a symbol of a war that cost more American lives than any other war, and it is a symbol of states' rights advocates, who more than once threatened the ruin of the country. It is an evil flag, and should not be allowed at schools, not to mention state capitols

13. tim840 Registered Senior Member

By the way thats South Carolina's state capitol building

14. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

You need to read some more History.

I know of several re-enactors who are Black and do Confederate Impressions, we have one who may be joining our Battery next year, if his unit disbands.

I also have several black friend who are very proud that their great great grand Fathers wore Gray.

At a concert by the 1st Brigade Band of Water Town, I sat next to a charming Black Women, In full Confederate Uniform and had a wonderfull full conversation with her, all about her Great Great Grand Father who served with The Louisiana Native Guards, a militia regiment comprised of 1400 black men and officers, Her Great Great Grand Father was Capt. Jordan Noble, who had a long and storied career as a soldier.

She was very proud of his service to the Confederacy.

15. John99 Banned Banned

Most people are ignorant about the Confederate flag.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

This kid has been suspended from school more than 40 times. Do you really think he knows one iota about the history of the flag or that he cares about 'southern pride'? I think people who actually care about the history of it are few and far between.

17. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Most of the History I learned was after I left school, reading, talking, listening and then checking by research whay I had heard.

School today teaches Politically Correct History, very biased, and very black and white, even in my day history was taught as black and white subject.

In my research I found the History was many shades of Grey, one of my favorite quotes comes from a old song sung by Black Confederates,

"Black is Nothing More that a Darker Shade of Rebel Gray"

It Is Possible Mr. Nelson Did;
    Some Civil War Historians
    See a 'Rebel Whitewash.
    By TONY HOKWITZ
    Staff Reportrr of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

KISSIMMEE, Fla. - The keynote speaker on Confederate Memorial Day drives a pickup truck with the Rebelaires blaringon the tape deck. He wears a slouch hat and a rebel-flag tie. His suit is gray. His skin is black. His words make many Civil War scholars see red.

"The history books were written by Yankees and they've seen fit to leave a lot out," Nelson Winbush tells 40 whites in a barn by the Kissimmee rodeo grounds. "Better than 90,000 blacks fought for the South."

As evidence, Mr, Winbush tells of his slave grandfather; Louis Napoleon Nelson, who went to war with his master's sons and went to his grave in 1934 wearing a rebel uniform. Mr, Winbush says scholars have covered up black loyalty to the South rather than upset Nortnern orthodoxy about the Civil War. "Yankees came way down here to free the slaves and found some black dude shooting their a- for keeps," he says.

When most Americans think of Civil War soldiers, the colors that spring to mind are blue and gray, not black. Until the 1989 movie "Glory," there was little recognition of the 200,000 blacks who fought for the North. Now, many Southerners say, it is time to honor another forgotten group: blacks who served the slave holding Confederacy. What makes this revisionism startling is that several of its leading proponents are blacks who regard their research as liberating.

"There's this caricature of all blacks in the South being victimized and supporting the North," says Edward Smith, a black professor and director of American Studies at American University in Washington. "But we are just as complicated as any people. We're three-dimensional. "

Since Mr. Smith began speaking about black Confederates six years ago, the subject has spawned several books, scores of articles and heated debate on the Internet. Some blacks have joined the Sons of Confederate Veterans and donned gray at Civil War re-enactments. Confederate heritage groups have proposed erecting monuments to black rebels and other "Confederates of color," such as Hispanics and American Indians.

Black Confederates have also become fodder in fights over the rebel battle flag, which flies over the South Carolina statehouse and forms part of Georgia's state banner. When New York Gov. George Pataki recently backed calls to boot Georgia's flag from Albany's display of state flags because of its "racist" component, he quickly roused ire. "As many as 50,000 brave young black men were wounded and killed fighting for the South," wrote Charlie Condon. South Carolina's attorney general in a letter. "Your slander of our region and its historic flag is outrageous and offensive.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It should be allowed as free speech. There are interpretations of it's use that are acceptable, even though some (including me) might not agree with it.

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

What did the confederacy do wrong?

20. desi Valued Senior Member

People have nothing to fear from a flag. Its the people who would force others to put the flag away that we should fear.

21. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

People keep saying the confederate flag is a symbol of slavery. It's not..It's a symbol of the South. People associate the South with slavery and bigotry, and the flag with the South, therefore the flag MUST be a symbol of slavery and bigotry. Just something Yankees made up.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Again, what did the Confederacy even do wrong? It's the Union that were hypocrites.

23. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Tell that to an African american. Further if they had managed to secede permanently they would just as likely have had a federal gov and taxes, etc.