Concerntration

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Nick Stenson, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Nick Stenson Registered Member

Advice on concerntratin. I hae tuff time doing it in sports and in regular day life...

Would medatation help me?

Whats the easiest way to medatate?

Wow, man o man am i confused??

Any help ...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Chewing gum apparently aids concerntration but not by much.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Agood way to help you concentrate is to focus your thoughts on whatever it is you want to learn.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Try www.mybraintrainer.com. When you play the games a lot, try to find ways that you can focus better on them. It is said that the games focus on some of your elementry cognative abilities... so the theory is that the better you can perform the games, the better you are in about everything else you do (to an extent). One of the components of the games is concentration (I think they do 1-(standard deviation of reaction time)/(reaction time) ).

On thing I found from this site is that on problem with my concentration is that I try to assume when or what will occur.. so I focus on that and when it comes up, I might get it wrong. Or I will get it right, but my RT will be longer. For example, in a 2-choice RT test.. I might assume (intuition, maybe) that choice 2 will come up... and then if 2 does come up, I get a really fast time... however if 1 comes up, I will either get it wrong or it will take longer because I have to realize 2 didn't come up, then I have to react to 1 coming up. I found that out in the games and tried to see if I did that in reality... which in fact I do. I concentrate very hard at what I assume... but what I don't consider I "forget" about.

Make sense?

You can try doing the alphabet backwards as fast as you can. Maybe try to name off all the keys on the keyboard without looking.

One question though.. have you ever experienced being in "the zone?" That means that time seems to stop and you feel in control of everything. And if you are focused on one thing only, everything around you seems to disappear because they don't matter.

8. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Absane,

I think what you are experiencing here is the phenomenon of thinking fixation -- when the brain sets out to solve certain problems, and a few problems in a row are solved by the *same* principle, the brain tends to get caught in that problem solving pattern, and solves the next problem the same it did the previous one -- even though it may be the wrong way.

This is a normal (sometimes negative) characteristic of the brain that you can help to fix a bit by learning some meta-thinking strategies -- like to always consciously ask yourself whether the way you approached a problem is really the best one, or could there be another way. It takes more time, but eventually, you can be a more successful problem solver.

9. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

I don't know, but when you find something that helps you focus, focus on your spelling

(*voice in the distance* "God, she's so anal")

10. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

there are some drugs that might help, but they're rather illicit. :m:

11. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

The key to concentration is focus. As such, one must pay attention to detail. For you, I would suggest beginning with basic spelling skills.